ENT Experience

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeannie, Mar 3, 2016.

1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I just went for my yearly hearing test and was told my hearing was pretty good, and my hearing loss was probably caused from age related, starting at 4000 Hz, mild and normal.

I'm only 54...

I asked him if it could be caused from medication and he said no because it would dip up and down on my test.

First time in 3 years I've heard it was age related...

Sensorineural hearing loss can be caused from meds or a number of things... Said my TMJ wouldn't be causing tinnitus... geez... guess we hear something different all the time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      My ENT said the exact thing for my T but most of people say it can cause from my TMJ. I'm really confused but I still do not believe T is not connected to any single reason. There must be one!

3. inadmin

inadmin Member

Can you elaborate on this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      He showed me my hearing test and it was normal all the way up to 4000hz and started dipping downward ,according to doctor if it was caused by meds ,the straight line on my test would have went up and downward...instead of a straight normal line up to 4000.hz

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Well... if a person comes up with enough different explanations, then one of them would eventually have to be true, I guess.

6. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please take a look at my thread "ENT - Catch 22" - I'd like your thoughts.
      My doctors/ENTs say the same "age related" things. And I am around the same age as you. I wonder what age it becomes "age related"? 40+ 30+ Maybe they dismiss my/your case because we easily fit a profile and they don't know the root cause? Of course they don't.
      I want someone to confess that my hearing is normal, and that the tinnitus is causing the drop at 7khz. Because I cam convinced it does. How can I possibly hear tones at 7khz when there is this noise in my head that is OBVIOUSLY caused by something else?

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Here's another thing you could keep in mind: there is no reason why the opposite wouldn't be true, as your hearing loss could be causing your T. T is known to be a compensatory mechanism for loss of signal from the cochlea in many cases.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there are many other steps in the diagnosis you need to go through to start narrowing down a root cause. It sometimes takes a lot of effort, with no guarantees of result unfortunately.