Episode 12: Hearing Lost and Found — Frequency Therapeutics

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jul 24, 2020.

1. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Really? What about the research indicating that noise-induced tinnitus would be best alleviated by restoring hearing, as per the Hearing Health Foundation?

https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/blogs/tinnitus-and-noise-trauma-to-the-inner-ear

"Mounting evidence implicates tinnitus as an indicator of underlying auditory deficits, however mild these deficits might be, and including “hidden hearing loss” that isn’t captured via the standard audiogram. This takes us from the former concept of “some form of hearing loss is associated with tinnitus” to a picture in which “tinnitus is a symptom of a form of hearing loss.”

An early theory considers tinnitus to be a result of nerve hyperactivity that is overcompensating for the lack of neural input from the ear to the brain that would be occurring with a healthy inner ear. Even normal hearing volunteers who wore silicone earplugs for seven days to simulate a temporary hearing loss developed tinnitus in that short timescale, although the tinnitus resolved after removing the earplug.

In other words, a sudden reduction in cochlear output seems to cause increased spontaneous neural activity in reaction to the lack of signals. This leads to the perception of a continuous sound and may also underlie the hyperacusis, or a lowered threshold to discomfort from sound, often associated with chronic noise-induced tinnitus.

In conclusion, all indications are that tinnitus, when not caused directly by a central nervous system issue (e.g., stroke), is always associated with one or more forms of hearing loss. As a result, although a treatment of most forms of tinnitus will likely emerge in the years to come, curing tinnitus will first require curing hearing loss. It also points to tinnitus potentially being an early symptom of an underlying auditory injury before measurable audiometric changes."

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’m not interested in debating semantics here about the “true origin” of tinnitus because perhaps you’re correct, but your order of events are off. Typically one has to have some kind of trauma to the ear to kickstart this cycle, so I would argue that it’s still of physical origin.

Further, what can be inferred from your statement, you believe that your brain favors maladaptive plasticity, even in the event where the physical damage is corrected. This is both cynical and misleading, since the only information we have on this subject indicates that cochlear implants and regenerative technology has a positive impact on tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I don't know the answer either way -- (could you both be right, maybe?) -- but I also thought tinnitus was a neurological issue, ie in the brain, rather than in the ear, and therefore can be caused by both damage to the ear and damage to the brain. What about tinnitus caused by stress, for instance?

4. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I suppose this means that I don't think hearing regeneration will cure Tinnitus for everyone, as I think different origins need different cures, but this is just a layperson opinion. I know a lot less than most on here, who actually understand the science behind it.

5. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      I'm wondering if this teaser of hopeful information (that we're all clinging to)—"some of them have offered that they have had improvements in tinnitus"—was publicly stated/known in some form at the time the interview was conducted and/or arranged?

Obviously, LeBel willingly did an interview for a tinnitus podcast; that in itself hints at a sliver of optimism. Is the context of the interview Frequency Therapeutics' first public mention of it, or were the anecdotes found buried deep in the research results somewhere, or previously mentioned elsewhere? Or was the pre-interview enthusiasm based only the fact that Frequency Therapeutics were adding tinnitus assessments to an upcoming (at the time) phase?

@mrbrightside614 @FGG @Hazel @Markku

6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I can maybe answer this. @mrbrightside614 and I poured through all the known info and interviews we could find in preparation for this and couldn't find anything mentioned about tinnitus.

We submitted our questions in advance but were talking about how they would probably avoid the question since there was no data (at least publicly). I remember looking at him the night before and saying "if they dodge, ask them about anecdotes. Make them answer this!" And @mrbrightside614 was able to do it perfectly because he's awesome like that (and awesome in general, he's become almost a brother to me since the Tinnitus Talk Podcast).

• Like Like x 3
    7. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      That is so cool. "Make them answer this!" - I love it.

8. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Anybody know or have a link to the presentation made today?

9. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1