Exasperated, Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dealeav, May 9, 2015.

1. dealeav

dealeav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/10/15
      I feel like I can't say anything new to all of you. I have good days and bad days. Today hasn't been great. My left ear has been vibrating on and off (in addition to ringing in both ears) and now just tonight it's not switching off. I'm trying not to take Ativan more than a couple nights in a row but nighttime is so hard. I tried melatonin but I think it contributes to my jaw clenching. I'm afraid to eat anything because I've read about so many foods making it worse. Yesterday was such a good day and I had so much hope. It's crazy how it can flip back and forth. Today I can hardly imagine hope.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This pattern of ups and downs is quite normal for new T. It is quite unpredictable. So be mentally prepared for this. In a year or two, you won't be so afraid of T as the brain gets more used to the sound. But hopefully, for your new T it will just slowly fade or disappear. It happens for some people as evident in the success stories. So don't lose heart. Give it time and learn some strategies that work for you. Masking is important if T still bothers you. Some people put masking sounds all over the house (if no one else objects) just so they don't freak out big time and have to take meds. I had to depend on Ativan & Prozac for a while initially. But masking cut down the use of meds.

3. Craggy 65
      Amazed

Craggy 65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Hi,I was just about to write exactly the same words,so you have done me a favour,I'm sorry you feel like this,but so do I.but I'm sure time will eventually help our condition.I am going cycle-wild camping tomorrow and see if that helps,regards Malcolm

4. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
      I never stop eating anything because of T and I believe you shouldn't too. Like everyone you have bad days and good days. My believe is that it's not related to food. During my 20 years with T I never noticed any difference. Don't be afraid of eating anything you want. The disease is already bad enough to limit us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. DavetheAce
      Breezy

DavetheAce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      showering using local water supply
      This is NOT the advice that I am going to give dealeav. If you accept that something you ingest helps your T (gingko biloba for example), you must then accept that some things will make it worse.
      I'm pleased for James that he has not been hindered in his food intake. For me, I had to give up chocolate. The doctors have looked at me oddly when saying chocolate has a detrimental effect, but it is the case. As is anything now particularly sweet. I don't have diabetes and have eaten any amount of chocolate over the years, but now I just don't as experience has shown that I inevitably get a spike within hours.
      I would suggest that 'proper' meals are unlikely affect your T, but if you do have a spike consider what food/drink you have ingested within the preceding couple of hours. Persevere.

6. uncle vikin
      Musical

uncle vikin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subjective tinnitus r ear cause ( unknown)
      Billie 48 gives good advice he is very supportive and deserves a lot of credit for helping a lot of people. He has given me a lot of advice as we'll as others on this site. I have had T for 9 months and I live pretty much the way I did before T now I am back to work and T does not really bother me .It is still there but most of the time I don't notice it unless I really listen . Dealeav I took meds for awhile it helped me with the stress and sleep .Now I don't take anything for sleep or stress so it does get better with time. Uncle Vikin

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thanks for the kind words, @uncle vikin, we are all trying to help the newer sufferers to get better. You have done just as much for others and I enjoy reading your posts very much. I am happy for you that your life is getting back to normal. You show that it is possible to get back to living and enjoying life again within a relatively short time by following a good approach. Hats off to you.