Exercise for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Fish, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I know this is ridiculous but surprisingly I think it worked for me, a bit. At the same time it's easy and can be done at home so it won't hurt to try, right?

Step 1
      Rest the palms of your hands alongside your head, covering your ears with the section of the palms nearest your wrist. Your fingers should be held gently on the back of your head, pointing toward one another.

Step 2
      Hold your hands so that the fingers extend and the tips of the middle fingers just barely touch, and are resting on the base of your skull about one inch above where your skull meets your neck.

Step 3
      Place your index fingers on top of your middle fingers like you would do to cross the fingers.

Step 4
      Firmly snap the crossed index fingers off the middle fingers against the base of the skull. Make sure you are not snapping onto your neck but onto the occiput, the bone at the base of the skull. There will be a loud drumming, hollow sound. Repeat the finger snapping action about 50 times.

I have no idea how does it work, but it seems to have reduced my T temporarily. Is it an autosuggestion? I don't know.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/69200-natural-treatment-ringing-ear/

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      This effect lasted for about 30 minutes. I just did it again and I could really hear the difference in loudness before and after. Am I falling for an autosuggestion or?

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Fish, I've tried the exercise several times, and it hasn't done much to reduce my tinnitus volume. I'll keep trying it, though, and let you know if I see any improvement. Is it still working for you?

4. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I liked the sensation of hearing ambient sound again after taking my hands away. Definitely a good way to distract yourself!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree! I'm going to keep trying this technique; there really is something to it --- if only because it distracts you for awhile!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I did it few more times and it seemed to slightly lower the volume of my T for few minutes. I'm not sure what is the mechanism behind this exercise. I think it really is just a way to distract yourself from the noise of your T. I tried to find some more information about this technique but there is none.

Here you can view the proper way to do it:

health.learninginfo.org/images/tinnitus.mpg

According to this website, the exercise was created by dr Jan Strydom. I was unable to find any other information about this doctor.

7. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi ,this is in fact an extremely old chinese exercise to effect the inner ear called Beating the Heavenly Drum. Sadly its just residual inhibition.

it is strange how different the ear feels for a while isnt it ,crystal clear no pressure or fullness ,what i would give for that all the time.

8. Peg

Peg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7 months ago
      Can you imagine to just hear quiet again. Those were the days.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mahdi
      No Mood

Mahdi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Being 31 and suffering for 12 long years, I don't remember my serene days....

10. Reeta

Reeta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      I look back and say WOW I should have felt blessed before for not have had noises in my ears/head. Now just one day out of the blue, I have Tinnitus for 5 months, maybe triggered by stress as I was told by one doctor. the nerves. I am very annoyed and frustrated and tired of my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Knucks

Knucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for the suggestion Ms. Fish. It worked. Even it's for awhile. I may be able to trick myself by using this method right before I sleep. Anything is a blessing.

12. Chadrico

Chadrico Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Won't the loud drumming sound with hands pressed against ears cause further damage?

13. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Try not to stress that not nearly close to being loud enough to cause damage to t.

14. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      well fish if it were april 1st I would of thought that this was a prank.....didn't do squat, but ill keep trying for a bit in a quiet place where no one can see what I'm trying to attempt....sounds like a distraction theory tho...thanks!

15. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      Been back to my excersie working out at the gym cardio 45 min:wacky: then followed with 20 min in sauna T no change :D thats a good thing lol..:rockingbanana: