Experimental Nootropic: Fasoracetam

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by linearb, Apr 1, 2015.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasoracetam
      http://nootriment.com/fasoracetam/
      GABAb is strongly implicated as a tinnitus vector in a couple studies.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15570498
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3360237/

The (completely unavailable) l-isomer of baclofen in isolation from the d-isomer that's included with it in all commercial baclofen products, had a strong effect on tinnitus:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3297816/

So, then the question is "if a lack of GABAb initiated inhibition is involved in tinnitus signal propagation, and if Fasoracetam can specifically upregulate GABAb receptors, will consumption of fascoracetam decrease tinnitus signal strength?"

I think it is an interesting question, enough so that I acquired samples of fasoracetam from a couple different vendors. Unfortunately, this stuff doesn't even have "supplement" status, meaning that any you are likely to acquire will be made by a chinese lab and come in a mailer that says "RESEARCH SAMPLE. NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION".

My days of willingly consuming such things are probably a little bit behind me. But, it is out there! I will be keeping my eyes open for a USP grade source of this material.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      Please if you find a quality source for this, can you give a link.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are no "quality" sources. Centropic and TeamLTR both sell it as a research product, shipped in envelopes that clearly say "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION". Powdercity.com appears to sell it with a slightly less stringent disclaimer, "This nootropic is not considered a dietary supplement and as such should only be taken under the guidance of a doctor or in a research setting."

I obtained 1-gram samples of material from both Centropic and TeamLTR, but haven't had time to send them off for GC/MS analysis yet. Even if both samples pass mass spec analysis as 99.999x% pure, I am not extremely enthusiastic about ingesting chemicals with very, very, very limited human consumption data behind them... I mean, I haven't even been willing to subject myself to Trobalt mostly for that reason, and we know a hell of a lot more about Trobalt than we do about this stuff.

It is interesting, though.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After getting a half-assed GC/MS analysis done I have been experimenting with this, first with 20mg and now up to about 50mg 2x/day.

It does seem to have some slight impact on T at these doses; it's also pretty clearly a psychoactive compound, notably more so than piracetam.

I will probably max out at about 150mg/day, for no more than a few days, and then shelve it for some period of time. The mechanism of action is intriguing and the effects are not unpleasant, but the scant human data is a little worrying from the perspective of anything further than very limited use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Dusting of some more of your threads here. How did this one turn out for you in the end? And do you have any other interesting compunds you tried during the years ? :)

6. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Just want to mention that my tinnitus usually spikes to some degree after exercising, whether due to increased sympathetic activity or loud noise exposure in the form of douches slamming weights because they’re not strong enough to appropriately control them/want to put on a show.

Well my tinnitus was comically loud after shoulders and triceps so I figured I’d reach into my nootropic stash to see if something had an effect on it. Now, at this point spikes are hardly any more distressing than the chronic condition in itself, because regardless of its severity/volume, my tinnitus is chronically intrusive. I tried some Fasoracetam sublingually which is a GABA B antagonist and glutamate disposal agent. Dropped my 7 to a 4.5 relatively immediately. The stuff is too expensive to warrant habitual use, but if you’re freaked out about permanent spikes, maybe keeping some on hand would be a decent solution to your future worries.

7. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    8. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zero experience so I'll defer to @vttbx :)

10. Andrew01
      Sunshine

Andrew01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Began 5 days after second Moderna shot
      Unrelated, but @linearb I love the profile pic, damnation indeed! Arena has been one of the best distractions for me, helps that limited is so much better these days (not sure if I can say the same for standard but this rotation should help).

11. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      So you guys found this helps you out?

Reading on it seems to be very hit and miss, but GABA B receptors would be a nice new target to try.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Personally, no, I couldn't differentiate it from a placebo I don't think.
      I like drafting but outside of Cube I don't really enjoy playing the power level of draft, which has kept me from ever getting more than slightly decent at limited, so maybe that's a self-fulfilling thing.

Pre COVID-19 I played paper a bunch; now I have a stack of paper that appreciated a lot during COVID-19 which isn't being used, and I think about just cashing out more and more. Gaea's cradles sell for a thousand dollars now, people are silly.

It's definitely a good distraction, though; I shuffled my way through a lot of nights of excruciating tinnitus with a bunch of snapcasters or llanowar elves at my side.

I enjoy the Damnation / Wrath of God art comparison (specifically the WoG that looks like the inverse of this image, I know WoG has like 10 different pieces 0f art depending on set). Both clearly inspired by images of nuclear explosions.

h8UM7VN.gif

The orb of light before darkness and radiation cleanses all ;)

• Like Like x 2
    13. Andrew01
      Sunshine

Andrew01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Began 5 days after second Moderna shot
      @linearb, yeah cube is for sure the best limited experience, and I have a legacy cube but usually we end up playing a friend's vintage cube (pretty close to the MTGO list).

I cashed out some of my constructed cards, but kept staples like lands, and a one of everything in case it finds it's way into the cube. Figured formats would change a bunch before paper magic was a thing, and I would want to play something else anyway. I also love how easy it is to iterate decks on Arena, finding that one sb card in paper or whatever can always be a pain.

You sound like you've been playing for a while, I started in OG Innistrad but of course played some very casual 'know half the rules' kitchen table before then. Innistrad was a such a great standard to start, so many cool decks and great cards (though I wasn't smart enough to play Snapcaster at the time).

Yep out of all the day of judgment / WoG arts that is my favorite too, just a white ball of destroy all creatures.