False Hope and Reality

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dr. Ancill, Mar 17, 2019.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      The pathology is hearing loss. Do you disagree with that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      A 'yes' or 'no' answer is not appropriate. In about 20% of tinnitus sufferers, there is no measurable hearing loss so the pathology explains the hearing loss but not the tinnitus itself. About 10% of the adult population have tinnitus but 25% have hearing loss, so while there is a link - it is not absolute.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    3. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Where and how? This needs its own thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Just one more example (below) of the numerous reports on this forum of drugs causing or worsening tinnitus. -- There's a LOT of dangerous otoxtoxic drugs out there; patient beware! -- (And don't be swayed by those who say--or suggest--there aren't).

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If a patient thinks that getting louder T is equivalent to being burned alive nonstop for decades to come, then even the smallest increase of the probability of such a horrible outcome is significant, and the risk-benefit balance is easy -> No benefit (except avoiding significant chronic pain or avoiding becoming paralyzed from the neck down) is worth this risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Lest we forget that doctors, with the exception of those who have been roughed up by this, treat this condition as almost a trifling joke so instead of treating tinnitus as the patient wearing a badly wired suicide vest, they treat us like we have a headache and a bad attitude to go with it.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Somebody wouldn’t be a little scared they’re about to lose their tinnitus patients for their therapy sessions would they?

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      FD0B40D6-2967-4811-AE76-BD2D413143CE.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For those reading this thread who have a problem with the above, you might be interested in a 5-Min. segment (link below) that was broadcast yesterday on the CBS program Full Measure, with Sharyl Attkisson. It's an interview with a Psychiatrist who's never prescribed a drug for his patients, but has spent a great deal of time helping those who have become dependent on psychiatric drugs get off of them. He also wrote a book entitled, "Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal". It's the only book written on the topic.

In the video segment, the author describes the approval process for Prozac, which he became aware of when he was appointed to the discovery process by the U.S. government as part of a lawsuit againsdt Eli Lily. He relates how the lead investigator discovered during the approval process of Prozac that it was filled with "addictive sedatives". It also was discovered to have "amphetamine type" qualities, which could make depression worse, make people agitated, angry, more prone to suicide, etc. The interview paints a rather unflattering picture of the Psychiatric and Pharmaceutical Drug professions, which often work in collusion with the FDA to approve drugs without adequate warning about how much harm they can cause.

The large number of stories on this forum of people whose lives have been devastated by these kinds of drugs is truly heartbreaking to read. -- Below is the link to the video segment. -- @GLJ; @sure2win; @matbrz; @Natalie Roberts; @Haylee; @Allan1967; @JasonP; @juliob;

Mad with Medication: A New View on Psychiatric Drugs
      BY FULL MEASURE STAFF SUNDAY, MARCH 17TH 2019

Just one of those heartbreaking stories: (at THIS LINK)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
      • Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another heartbreaking account...

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Maybe if you vote for Susan Shore's research paper to be published she can get the Financial interest/support you speak of. :);)

Just saying. :angelic:
      https://www.statnews.com/feature/stat-madness/bracket/
      @Jcb lol.. :ROFL:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Response to BAM:
      Perhaps this stubborn, unfathomable refusal to appreciate the seriousness of this condition is due to an ENT Doctor's defensiveness regarding the admission of an absence of any sort of effective treatment.
      Those CBT advocate's utter ignorance of this condition is revealed when it never occurs to them that each and every one of us has already had to develop a versatile, stress management/self-counseling program just to be minimally functional (and even get out of the front door in the morning). They would only be recommending what we have already painstakingly fashioned for purposes of sheer survival.

• Agree Agree x 6
    14. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      When I contemplate seeing a CBT therapist, I imagine the circumstances wherein I call out an electrician and he says: "There's nothing I can do about getting your lights back on, so why don't you just learn to read until it gets too dark to see."

• Like Like x 4
    15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      These kinds of accounts (below) of anti-depressants causing or spiking tinnitus seem to show up on an almost daily basis.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      LOL. Someone else on here likened it to getting a plumber round to fix your toilet and he goes "I can't fix it, so here's a leaflet to learn to go shitting in the woods*

17. DaveFromChicago

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      One definition of my tinnitus: an internally imposed aural totalitarianism.

18. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      This post is in response to Lane's post which mentioned the FDA and Pharmaceutical/Psychiatric Drug companies, associations and corporations.
      It's all about making big money, profit and continuing the status quo. There's a lot of collusion and the patient is not the priority or is an afterthought. It's only when they have to do damage control or there is bad PR for a drug or how a patient was treated that they pretend to be humanitarian.

I don't know what the solution is but people need to be more public, vocally, with those at the top. The watch dogs are not doing anything either. They don't have to answer to anyone. It's an epidemic problem. It's a lack of empathy in the fields in which you need the most.

• Winner Winner x 1
    19. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PeteJ -- I couldn't agree with you more. I find it interesting that (apparently) most psychiatrists and even other doctors looking at treating depression, anxiety, etc. almost always look at some kind of drug first. -- To me, that's an almost sure way to start disempowering their patients.

Why not look at things like diet, dietary supplements, and other lifestyle modifications? Or look at whether something in their environment (such as mold or smart meters) might be having a major effect? Why not take a look at those, and see whether incremental changes can start making a difference? -- To me, that an almost sure way to start empowering their patients.

I find it almost anguishing at times to watch how various kinds of dangerous and expensive drugs are promulgated by conventional health care providors, and inexpensive and often very effective alternatives are almost completey ignored.

• Winner Winner x 1
    20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    21. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That's because they are 'drug men'. It's in their psyche to push drugs first as that's how they are taught and they believe in pharmacology as if it were their god. So they won't have anything said against their lovely Prozac or whatever. Plus they may be members of associations etc that are funded by drug companies.

EDIT: This is not to say that all drugs are bad, but it's the reason drs go to drugs first.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I love that the first post here makes some oblique reference to Neuromod, which completely ignoring the very much researched based efforts ongoing at UMich and UMinnisota and then calls it all "false hope" when there's a bunch of us on this forum who have directly responded to these treatments and showed improvements in objective tinnitus volume measurement in published RCTs.

You know what triggers me? Doctors acting like they have some magical or special occult understanding of things, and generally not taking patients own views seriously. Doctors are glorified car mechanics. When I've had a mechanic tell me something that was flat out crazy, I just fire them and find a new shop. I have approached medical care in the same way, and after some false starts I have a good and compassionate medical team that understands my specific situation, largely give me reasonable autonomy in decision making, and above and beyond all, never say anything to me that's dripping with condescension the way half of the posts in this thread are.

The internet has its downsides; it's also allowed patients to communicate in unprecedented ways, and have different expecations about what kind of communication, compassion and care they should expect from their doctors. Doctors who fall short in those regards are the old school, and they will go away, as "fire your doctor if they suck, because they're just glorified mechanics and you can find a better on online" becomes the new norm. My own medical team seems very woke on this issue. Once when I showed up at a neuro office with a couple RCTs printed out in my hand, the (60 year old!) neuro told his assistant, "see? This is how things are now, this is the new normal. Patients can research things, and will often show up with much more complex questions or ideas than they used to. The medical field must necessarily adapt to this reality".

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2