Finally Found the Cure (Don't Waste Your Life Wishing for the Tinnitus to Go Away)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Kazue, Oct 9, 2016.

1. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      So you've only had T for a month?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yup. Probably around a month and two weeks now.

3. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I have to agree with this - I am able to live my life and also to acknowledge that the tinnitus is there and that I don't want it to be there (therefore, I am HERE, clicking in to check up on research, exchange ideas, learn what I can, and continue to work toward the lessening/elimination of the tinnitus, as well as to offer supportive commentary when I can.).

I have never agreed (wholeheartedly) with the advice to "get off the boards" so that you can "forget" about the tinnitus. I think there is a personally responsible way to engage with the boards, and with the fact of the tinnitus in one's life, while continuing to LIVE life the best we can. It's been a growth process, like everything.

• Like Like x 1
    4. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Soooo...for the obvious question, what did you find out and how did you fix it?

• Like Like x 3
    5. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      As a general point: board or no boards - this is the question?

@Path Maker - Getting off the boards or the net is the advise they give anxious people or people with hypochondriac tendencies. People who imagine the worst. As far as I can see I am in the midst of the "worst" already and looking for support can only be constructive.
      I can't forget my tinnitus, it is not mild enough for me to do that...or for me to remember about it only when I read the boards, I wish!

No pill, nothing out there for us other than mutual support. There are several support groups in London alone. Should we get rid of those too?

Anyhow, just thinking of members of my family who tell me to get of the internet. Wish it was so simple - never been on a forum in my life, here because I have no alternative. Nobody in my family is out there looking at research for me, what am I supposed to do to gain hope?

However, in the interest of objectivity I concede there is a possibility that being on this forum is making t more central to my life...however, currently, I am still benefiting from the advise and support, so it outweighs any detrimental effect.

Sorry, venting today...

• Agree Agree x 6
    6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Exactly. It's a support forum AND a source of information all in one place. It's very valuable. I'm sticking around and I hope you do too. You never know when something will really resonate and help you, or when you will have a chance to help someone here too. Sending you hugs and a hope that the tinnitus you experience will settle and attenuate over time. It can, you know. (It's a good thing I mentally and psychologically gave no real belief to the idea that you are with it "for life" after six months, because lately the tinnitus I experience has given me more good days than bad, and that's a relatively new development. Hang in there, @Candy !!) :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      You sound like a very intelligent young man with wisdom way past your years. Great attitude and mindset. I still try little things to eliminate my T but have got to the point that im excepting it and get on with my life same as you...

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. I am a young woman by the way.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Mahr
      Doh

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Live has changed by the T but letting the T rule your live is something totally different. You should do everything you were used to do, but perhaps in another way. I do go to the theatre knowing the next day will nog be that great. But I refuse to let the T let me live my live. I agree with Kazue.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Mat V

Mat V Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through ipod
      This is exactly what i fucking needed to hear, thanks man

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Leonardo Aguiar
      Relaxed

Leonardo Aguiar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably some weird drug I took
      15 years old, although wiser than 99% of the people here.

Your next step is to learn to convey your realization to other people, and it is no easy job. Please keep it in mind.

I am sincerely proud of you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. MuffinMan
      Alienated

MuffinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, started the moment I woke up from a nightmare.
      I am atheist, not all of us believe in the "everything happens for a reason" thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      That's not a cure. And many of us cannot live like before because of hyperacusis. I appreciate your sentiment but it's not realistic for some of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Usually I just take out the trash on the success stories forum but wow what a shit post.

15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That was probably the worst part. Bringing shit metaphysics into tinnitus doesn't make it better. Just makes her sound like an even bigger idiot than she already is.

16. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Speaking as someone who also acquired T at a young age, it's extremely difficult to make sense of it and to face the likelihood that the best years of your life will be compromised by something that is akin to having to tolerate chronic pain...forever. I would have a very different outlook on life had I only acquired my T recently rather than 26 years ago because I would have already banked a generation's worth of more pleasurable memories rather than countless memories of being bothered by my T.

So I am highly sympathetic to anyone under 25 or so who is dealing with T. If they find a coping mechanism that works, even if it wouldn't work for me or for others, they should be grateful. Whether that mechanism is effective years down the road is an open question, but all of us have to face this one day at a time and evolve our strategies as we go.

But as others have stated, I don't like this victim olympics aspect of "my T is worse than your T" going on. This is not a competition. There are those who suffer less or worse than I do. There's no way for others to truly know what it's like to have our T besides ourselves, both to perceive it, and to emotionally process it and try to stay healthy, functional, and productive. All we can do is sort of share our own personal coping strategies.

17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      >I like my tinnitus.
      You two idiots were made for eachother.

18. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your tinnitus is allegedly gone and you haven't even posted a success story so lay off.

19. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      1) I got one coming
      2) The fact I know both worlds means I know what I'm talking about.