Fire Alarms. Not Worth My Worry.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      So yesterday I was at Walmart with my boyfriend getting groceries and food for our date. That particular Walmart was doing fire alarm tests at the time. It was god awful loud, it hurt a lot. But, it really wasn't that bad. Just put my earplugs on and everything was alright.

This tells me that I can go back to school. It tells me I can do more things without having that fear that I'm going to get worse. Because yesterday I didn't. To top that, I almost even forgot that whole situation happened yesterday.

I feel like my life is going almost completely back to normal.

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I'm noticing that my response to loud noises, while still there, is becoming less. I feel like the veterans weren't leading us astray when they said in time things will get better. It's so hard to believe in the beginning but it is the truth.

I hope he was cooking for you. You've got to set the tone from the beginning. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      I feel like the same noises that used to bother me, don’t bother me as much. Cheers to the both of us @Taylorslay

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is great news @Taylorslay and I'm pleased for you. I remember how you were in the early days with tinnitus and hyperacusis. So uncertain and scared for the future which is quite understandable. Your progress has been outstanding and I hope that you won't forget us when you go back to school. The reason being, I think your positivity, enthusiasm and drive will inspire those having difficulty coping with tinnitus and hyperacusis, make them believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Well done and all the best
      Michael

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out the post I quoted below. I believe his experience is very relevant.

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Taylorslay ,
      Great news and lovely to hear a member is doing well.
      follow your dreams duck and enjoy every minute.
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Yeah! I'm so happy for you! I also began to feel that all those noises are just temporary and does not do any harm to me after all.

You'll always be safe I'm sure. Very glad for this thread.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Oh I'm not protecting less and less. I'm saying I am not going to go around worried about every little thing like a car horn going off while I'm outside. What I'm trying to say is, I'm not going to allow myself to be worried over everything and ruin my life due to stress and anxiety over sound. Which many people on this forum have done. I'm not naming anyone but I have seen people who came into this forum the same time I did and, have and continued to stress themselves to the point I think they're going to end up die early.

I wanna live my life but I definitely won't live it in hell. So trying to worry about the next bell or firealarm. I put on my hearing protection while being inside Walmart. I didn't simply just push through it. I'm not stupid. I also have not forgotten what hyperacusis has done to me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you were to read the last paragraph of the post that I quoted (I will quote it again below)
      you would see that your actions below might not have been wise:
      If your T gets louder, it will be hell too.
      What might have been a more sensible thing to do, would have been for you to put on your hearing protection and then to leave the area as fast as you could.

10. Coffeebean

Coffeebean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      A very inspiring post. My hyperacusis has improved a lot as some might know, but I still have a bit of a residual fear that one day I might be exposed to a loud noise, such as a fire alarm, which will give me a set-back. Therefore I get a bit nervous when I am in a room where there are fire alarms or other alarms present (even if they are not going off). But indeed you should not live your life in fear, it's all about being careful but not fearful, and responding accordingly if you are suddenly exposed to a loud noise (e.g. fire alarm), by putting in earplugs and/or leaving the area.

I think it is important to be aware that when it comes to loud noises, the length of exposure is very important. Hearing issues are often due to concerts and/or prolonged headphone use, whereby one is exposed to sound which is not only loud but the exposure is also very long. So even if you are exposed to loud noise unexpectedly during the day (such an alarm), you should still be OK if you respond quickly and appropriately.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      This is not true on the bottom. It can take a minute or 30 seconds and more damage is done resulting in Severe T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Coffeebean

Coffeebean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If it's extremely loud, yes, so you should not keep standing around for 30 seconds to a minute, but cover your ears / walk away / put in earplugs quickly (i.e. within 10 seconds).

Of course there are sounds so loud that they can immediately cause damage, such as explosions, which you should keep away from anyway.

I believe the point of the story is more along the lines of that it does not work to live you entire life in fear of every sounds. Be careful, not fearful.

13. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It probably also tells you that over time your ears are on the mend ;) , congrats!

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      And these sounds can be unexpected, so that there is no way to avoid them.

15. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      As Coffeebean wrote, if you are exposed to a sudden sound and can escape fast, as is most probable, you will probably be OK. For example, I am writing from a library and an alarm sometimes goes off because some people think that the back door to the library is OK to leave from. It is not, and if they do, an alarm goes off. Naturally, as soon as I hear it, I take off with my backsack, put on my ear protectors , and run towards an exit. Of course, many people look at me in amazement and perhaps with mistrust wondering what this guy is running from and with those funny ear protectors! But I push through their stares. The staff knows about my ears so they are cool with what I am doing.

I remember once I got hit with an alarm that I was just under, doing some photocopying at another library. Naturally, the only person with h. probably within a square mile of the alarm. In those days I flipped out psychologically, worried about permanent damage, and cursed my bad luck. I phoned a fellow hyperacusis sufferer LONG DISTANCE (who was in Charlottesville, Virginia where all those fucking Nazis gathered a year ago), sobbing, and needing reassurance which she gave, because she had longer experience. I do not think I would panic as much these days, but in my early days I would panic easily, even though my condition was much better 15 years ago. So there it is: the life of a person with hyperacusis!

Marco