Flight with Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by jpr992, Apr 3, 2017.

1. jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear all,

I'm about to get my first flight since I got hyperacusis and I would like to know what is the best method to protect my hearing since the airline companies doesn't allow one to wear earmuffs during the take-off and landing (although they may allow earplugs because they are unnoticeable).

Usually I use wax earplugs (SNR=27db) and I pretend to use them in the airplane, but I’m afraid they prevent the pressure equalization during the take-off and landing (since the wax cause plug effect) and get some ear problems because of that. I know there are lots of threads about airplanes but I didn’t find any one regarding the question about pressure equalization.

Would be better if I fingered my ears during take-off and landing and release them from time to time during a fraction of a second just to enable the pressure equalization?

I would like to know your opinion and recommendations about this please.

Best regards

2. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I'm a frequent flyer and wear ear plugs for the entire flight including take off and landing and never had anyone tell me I couldn't. I'm flying in 2 weeks and will do the same and report back my findings. I don't have any problem equalizing pressure, just use the Valsalva maneuver, pinch the nose and gently blow till the ears pop. Not too hard, just enough to pop.

3. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I'm a frequent flyer and I wear earmuffs all the time.

I've never had any problems.

Just tell the crew you need them because of your 'medical condition' and they will leave you alone, trust me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I said they don't allow earmuffs, not earplugs. Earplugs are much less noticeable, so I belive they will not say anything. Anyway, what is the material of your earplugs? foam? wax? I belive the foam may be better for pressure equalization.

5. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Sorry I misunderstood, a side effect of my tinnitus is poor comprehension, I use a 3M brand, they are a solid silicone rubber attached to a cord that you can wear around your neck when not in use. Down side is I have to remove my hearing aids to use them. I do use muffs at work for convenience of not removing my hearing aids but I find the plugs more effective for protection.

6. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Ear muffs not allowed? Why not..weiiird

7. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      *Headphones

They want you to listen to safety procedures presentation, not to music.

Ear muffs look like headphones.

8. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Ah yea I get it now :p

• Like Like x 1
    9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Do you think this pain you got was related to the fact that the earplugs prevent pressure equalization? The pain went away after the flight?

11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, I think the earplugs make pressure equalization harder. The pain subsided a day or two after the flight.

12. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Earmuffs are allowed. If flight attendants think you're wearing headphones, just explain nicely. Happened to me when I flew to another country in December.

13. sleepy

sleepy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and gaming via headphones, earbuds and headset
      I wore earmuffs and foam earplugs when I was on my flight. I didn't have any issues with air pressure. Bring chewing gum with you just in case.

14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Earmuffs are allowed no problem had them on a few flights all the time - no one from the crew ever said anything

15. Robert Riggs
      Frustrated

Robert Riggs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1984
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma airplane depressurization clogged Eustacian tubes
      Whatever you do, do NOT fly with a "cold" (upper respiratory infection) or with otherwise blocked Eustachian tubes. That is how my Tinnitus and Hyperacusis (with severe lag or "kindling") was initially caused.
      If you absolutely MUST fly with a "cold" (say, a return trip after getting the "cold) or otherwise clogged Eustachian tubes, take a strong and effective decongestant!
      I have not flown since 9/11, since handicap accommodation now is clearly subordinate to security considerations. I couldn't even attend my Father's funeral.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      what kind of accommodation are you referring? earmuffs? did you not return to fly after your barotrauma?

17. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I fly frequently using foam earplugs and have never had a problem with air pressure changes.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think foam earplugs are better than the wax or sillicone ones to equalize the pressure. Do you use them during the entire take off and landing?

19. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Yes, they stay in my ears from the minute we pull away from the gate until after landing. They never come out of my ears almost the entire time I'm on the plane. I don't know about other ear plugs but for foam plugs there is no issue with equalization.

20. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Option 1: Get your doctor to write you a note you can give to the stewardess emphasising you have 'hearing damage' (avoid using the word tinnitus) and that it's a medical requirement.

Option 2: Ignore them. Take them off temporarily and put them back on. It's not like they can fine you. I've done this a couple of times when I forget to do option 1. "Oops. I'm sorry!"

On headphones, I wear two layers of active noise cancelling headphones. In-ear Bose QC20 and on the outside Bose QC15.

Otherwise I use foam earplugs inside the ears and industrial over-ears hearing protection.

Foam earplugs are good in this situation because being aerated they breath and contract with change of air and cabin pressure.

• Helpful Helpful x 1