Free of Tinnitus. Or Winning the Lottery?

Discussion in 'Support' started by joe, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Optic Axis
      Tired

Optic Axis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and industrial machines.
      I would take the money. The reason being that tinnitus prevents me concentrating and sleeping. If I had that much money there wouldn't be anything I would need to concentrate on to earn money to pay the bills so I would be ok with my tinnitus. I would be able to do everything at my own pace, in the order I wanted to do it in, or even leave it until tomorrow. There would be several charities I would like to help and even some small ventures (like own a nightclub for a bit, buy some land and create a lake/wildlife area) I would want to try, but most of all I would be relieved of pressure to do things, essentially for someone else.

2. John G

John G Member

I would take the 40 million. Then I would go to every local news station in my area and tell them to get the word out about Tinnitus and tell every news station that I would pay anyone 20 million to find a cure.

3. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      if i have 40 million and that can buy me a permanent cure ... i would buy it.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd take the money; would not be able to turn down a chance to make my entire extended family financially independent for selfish reasons.

5. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Money for sure. I'd be able to help the T community and research for a cure, help other charities, help my family and have every material thing I could ever want.

6. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      you'll look back at this and smile a little someday. you'll feel so much better. tinnitus won't play any role in your life. and you won't be able to believe that you ever considered turning down the money.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I do hope this is true. However I have no hesitation in choosing to be rid of my T and H rather than taking the money. I already had a happy and simple life. I don't want lots of $$$ just my happy healthy life back.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Michael R
      Woot

Michael R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would probably choose silence. However, if I knew scientists were very close to finding a cure I would choose the money most likely. I'd help fund getting even closer to a cure so everyone could experience silence again.

9. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I am looking forward for that day! :) Already, after 3 weeks I am either noticing a decrease in sound or days when it doesn't bother me all day long andI have long portions of time where I refuse to think about it and go about my day. I think this is good considering its so new.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Guest9201

Guest9201 Guest

I suffer right now from my T, with distorted sounds, H, increased T.
      But the sounds and H went away when I got it, and will probably go away again.

If the Increased T stays or not is up to see. At least it's not a sound trauma but after a flu so better chances.

However. Even with this I would probably take the money, because then I would not have any anxiety over making money to do what I want.
      I could live without stress, pressure and do things I really wanted. And that would also make the T much much easier to handle.
      Hell, just the thought of taking a massage or something often sounds amazing.

But then again, I am unemployed and not that much to look forward to, so even If I were cured I would be super amazing happy over it. But I would still be broke and unemployed with not much money to do fun things.

I am a bit torn, because I would be insanely happy with silence and the thought about being in the forest or something again with just the nature brings tears to my eyes.

But the money would make me set for life and enable me to do whatever I wanted to enjoy it, even with this screaming in my ear.

Money it is.

11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      With the powerball being over a billion dollars made me think of this thread. If I won the lottery, I'd donate the majority of it to research in tinnitus and hearing loss (and probably a few select other areas of medical research).

Amazing, a month ago I never gave it a second thought, now it's all consuming and I would do anything to make this affliction not be permanent.

12. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Idk why I was thinking about this but I would actually rather have my tinnitus gone. Seems crazy.

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus gone would be my wish over money .....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Money, money, money, private institute, cure, nuke the earth from space, live on Mars.

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Tinnitus gone for me anyday anytime...

16. HiThere

HiThere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1975
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Delivery by forceps? Childhood ear infections?
      Interesting question!

I don't play the lottery but within the last year when the U.S. had the one of the highest if not the highest lotto drawing in history my wife and I did buy a ticket. Right before the drawing, I can say that I actually had a feeling of dread: "What if we actually won?" I know your topic isn't primarily about lotteries, but many people have had their lives utterly ruined after winning a large lottery, killed for their money, etc.

So....... I would think cure for my T since I've never experienced life without it. HOWEVER......if at any point in my lifetime (the future) their appears to be a "promising" cure for T or appears to be a cure that has some risk, low risk of hearing loss, deafness, etc. I would not be interested in the least and would rather live out my days with T as I've lived every day of my life with it. I have hearing. I have habituated to my T for the most part. Losing my hearing and becoming completely deaf so the ONLY noise I would "hear" for the rest of my life would be my 7500hz loud T...would literally be hell on earth.

17. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      There is no price tag to put on ones health!

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I guess the people who choose money should leave this board and live their life ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Not necessarily, If you have a noise in your ears no matter the volume you still qualify to post here :)

20. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I would definitely choose T free life over any money. I would sell me house, get rid of any money I have, I would quit my job and could live as beggar till the rest of my life just to be able to experience silence again. I remember having little money living in a small flat without T. No I have well paid job, big house with a small garden, I have enough money to afford any vacation and decent luxuries at home. And I was a lot happier being poor guy with no T than relatively reach T sufferer. I was happy being poor, I'm said having both money and T. I don't think any form of habituation could change that

21. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I think this would be Interesting to Aśka some celebrities or famius musicians with T would they decide to give up their wealthy lifes in exchange to silence. I bet at least some would choose silence as the most precious thing one can experience

22. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Of course, but if you're ok with your T AND about to get a lot of money, there's no time left fort TT :D

23. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I'd settle for 1.5 million $ and a 25% t reduction.
      Don't wanna be greedy.

Edit: nah, make it 5 mil $. The 1.5 would be gone in a month.

24. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Money, so i could donate to research and find a cure for me and all my tinnitus pals

• Like Like x 1
    25. LovesWilbur
      Relaxed

LovesWilbur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What a profound post. A great testament to the power of habituation. Joe is off now living his life as it were. And I wish that he never has to come back here ever again.

26. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I dont care about money at this point.

27. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      It's a hard call. I would love to say that I would rather get rid of my T than win the lottery, but with my financial situation, having that type of money would serve me and my family much better than helping myself.

28. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Tinnitus gone.

29. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      definitely the tinnitus. no amount of money is worth any illnesses...... rather be healthy and poor... of course no one wants to be starving poor but if you have health you can work..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Money is nothing when T hv been killing me every second.