Gabapentin (Neurontin)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jeff M., Jan 17, 2014.

1. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ruben, when I can't sleep I use a med called Acuval Audio. It contains melatonine and Gingko Biloba which help me a lot.

2. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      so for those taking neurontin,, how is it affecting tinnitus?? any updates? i have benn taking one every other day,,, so i am probably wasting my time but hoping for some positivety from it...

3. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

dear Valentina, if you get benefits from Ginko, I dare not imagine what you could get with the old but still great Stugeron ... you can read with your own eyes ... that between therapeutic indications .... ringing in the ears !!! !

20150415_210029.jpg
      Best wishes

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. NGC891
      Wishful

NGC891 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1998 > 2008 > 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, weigh 69kg / size 1.8m
      I have tried Gabapentin at 1200 mg per day ( 2 x 600mg) during one month. No significant change on tinnitus

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No Viking, I don't have any benefit from Gingko, it simply has no effect on my T. That Acuval contains melatonine which is good to sleep, this is why I take it sometimes.

6. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi all and hi @Manuel Tissm, as I posted recently, I was prescribed Gabapentin for backache (together with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory med). After one week I can say Gabapentin doesn't affect my T - it remains at the same level.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. JOrange

JOrange Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am on gabepentin to help with Klonopin taper. Small dose of Klonopin but developed a tolerance to the med. The gabepentin has helped some with the w/d side effects but not with the taper. I am seeing naturopath to help with sleep and will post recommendations once I talk to him on Thursday.

8. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      - Yes - there's an alternative natural sedative called Somnapure which helps me a bit.
      Ingredients are:
      Valerian Root - 500 mg / Chamomile Flower - 50 mg
      Lemon Balm - 300 mg / Passion Flower - 50 mg
      L-Thenine - 200 mg / Melatonin - 3 mg
      Hops extract - 120 mg
      Take 2 at night. For me, I take one Somanpure along with one (additive) Alprazolam.
      Bought mine online $20 and it's helpful to induce sleep. Reduce T or H? = NO.
      I think it's now available at Walgreens.
      - There's also anti-nausea suppositories, which requires a prescription. (Not sure if ototoxic).
      - Gabapentin was a horrible drug wrongly prescribed that gave me daily headaches, worsened T and this out-of-control anger. It was later, told by a pharmacist that one of it's side-effects were increased depression, including thoughts of suicide. Tapered off, my headaches & the abnormal anger feeling receded.

9. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've tried that and didn't do much sadly.

10. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Informative Informative x 2
    11. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      If I only watched this 20 years ago!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      Taking 1800 mg of gabapentin for 4 months had no effect on my T. For sleep I take trazodone, no risk of tolerance and addiction.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
    14. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      why not just say - your supposed to fry AND burn your brain for maximum damage ...

has anyone watched the videos I posted to inform themselves or do we all just want to stay blind and uninformed? ..

don`t take it personal but anything in favor of SSRI`s and the likes will feel me bumping into them ...

Than why do i take Trobalt?

watch the videos and try Trobalt if you care and you will know.

a lot of suicides and murders and killing sprees could have been avoided if people wern`t sucked into the money making wheel of these harmful drugs!

And I know what harmfull means because I was put on Relatin for yeaaaars since I was 7 ... I have seen shadow creatures on the walls and catatonic phases for hours and talked to ghosts and had major aggressive outburst pulling my hair form it`s root ... and only to know I was the happiest kid before they gave me that shit. My problem was that I had an uncontrollable urge to hug people on the playground and sing out loud ...

the withdrawal symptoms of Neurontin are worse than Heroine ... I know you don`t believe me so I say it again ... withdrawal symptoms are worse then Heroine!! ... inform yourselves! read reviews and than decide if you believe your doctors opinion.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    15. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      @nills It truly breaks my heart that we live in a world where a child singing and hugging is cause for medication.....The kids who AREN'T hugging and singing are the ones I worry about....sigh....

Sorry to go off topic a bit, just had to be said. That's just awful....

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Well, I have been on Neurontin, 1800 mg daily, for about six weeks for severe shingles pain. I will say a side effect -- one that I did not expect -- is my tinnitus has gone down. I plan to start to start weaning off Neurontin, though, in about two weeks. Eight weeks is the suggested length of dosage to ward off permanent postherpatic neuralgia, or nerve pain that comes with shingles -- which is a hell unto itself, believe me. I never have taken heroin, but I would have considered it if would have eased my nerve pain. Gawdawful.

Guess I'll get to find out for myself soon how Neurontin withdrawal goes. Even though my T has decreased I don't intend to keep taking it for that reason. Doesn't seem wise to take any drug that tempers with your brain chemistry long-term, unless it just cant be avoided.

FYI: There is another off-thread Neurontin conversation going on here at TT:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/why-do-doctors-say-tinnitus-wont-hurt-you.10831/#post-133580

• Hug Hug x 3
    17. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have talked to Dr. Abraham Shulman in the past and also have one of the books he wrote on tinnitus. I have used Gabapentin and Klonopin for tinnitus and consider them much safer than Trobalt, and personally don't like SSRI type meds. Everyone is different and it's all a bit of trial and error when taking any drug to lessen your tinnitus.

I could try to contact Dr. Shulman in regards to Trobalt (Potiga), but would guess his opinion would be to not take it due to the significant side effects and potential heart and eye issues.

Peace @nills and good luck in coping with are common problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I think I need to see him, I know you said he's older but he's near by me and seems like a dedicated dr for t. Would you say you are happy with your Expierience with him?

19. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      Thanks but I stay away from klonopin as one of the withdrawal symptoms is T. Benzodiazepines are highly addictive and the withdrawal symptoms are gnarly and can last for months if not years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I never actually seen him in person, only talked to him on the phone a couple times. He is in his early 80's I believe, but is well respected in regards to his tinnitus research and treatments. I'm not sure he'll take any new patients, but you could get his opinion by phone probably or maybe in person on your condition. Never hurts to ask.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hi @jeannie I've been taking neurotin for 8 months I don't think it makes much of a differance as far as T goes but what it has done is reduce my reaction to it. I have tried couple times to cut back and I tend to get anxiety.

23. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      don`t let anxiety be the reason you persist taking this drug ... you will get into withdrawl when you stop this drug and anxiety is a part of that. no way to go that way without it. hope you can get of soon!

24. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    25. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @nills Hey Nills I know you are just trying to inform people on the dangers of SSRI's but for newbie's that are here for support or someway to cope with T anxiety meds for some is a necessity. There are people here that are trying allot more dangerous drugs then SSRI's.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      look my friend, I have been there in the T anxiety phase ... crying my eyes out and on my knees praying ... who ever told you it was going to be easy? everyone can do as he likes ... and my choice is to inform people on these drugs and the fact that when you feel like shit sometimes you just have to feel like that because theese drugs won`t help you in the long run ... on the contrary ... there is enough evidence and sad stories. So please watch these documentaries ... and if you still find yourself taking these meds ... make the best use of them and try to stop them whenever there is an opening.

I`m not here to console anyone or shape shift for any ones ideas .. your parents and priests have robbed you from your lion heart .. I`m only trying to light it up again.

yesterday I saw a documentry ... `liitle hope was arson` ... 2 kids setting fire to churches while in a daze of benzo`s ... imo they are innocent ... in the eyes of american government they are sentenced to life. Shame on all of them!! your bloody psychiatrists and everyone that is afraid to live fully!

and everyone is free, i`m not judging ... I took relatin for more than 10 years ... I was uninformed, pushed, stigmatized and rejected .. great foundation to start using a drug and entering puberty ... my psychiatrist was horrible and I hated her ... she couldn`t stand me .. cause she couldn`t figure me out.

btw name me 5 drugs that are more dangerous ... ? I know a lot about drugs and you seem to take on the opinion of your government ... have you ever taken anything else than benzos? I can list you a whole list of experiences and the hardest drugs I took are alcohol and benzo ... by far! ... I never took heroin ... but anything else I pretty much tried ... so what you say is wrong imo. Benzos are the hardest most damaging drugs out there!

Do you know we never ever have an add on television about medicines (accept I remember something for stomach burn or nasal spray - innocent things) I have nevr seen anything on a benzo in my entire life on television. It`s on TV so it must be a good thing ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @nills I understand and sympathize with what you went through. Depression for some is a chemical imbalance in their brain and temporary use of SSRI's is needed till they get back to living life. I just don't understand how you can justify taking Meds to cope or cure T with known dangerous side effects but when it comes to anxiety or depression you should just suffer through it? Doesn't make sense to me but I respect your opinion
      God Bless

28. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I don`t take a med to cope with T but yes i`m experimenting with med`s to see if it can cure or permanently reduce T ... I try to hit my problem at the core, instead of trying to heal the sprouts of depression and sleeplessness that are secondary problems ... that is a major difference in a reason why to take a drug. And I have T for 6 years never took anything ... lost my girlfriend over it, had/have problems with my mom about it because she blames me for not being happy, gave up a carreer as a DJand so on ... on paper I have enough reasons to take a drug for these issues ...in my heart I know it is not the right choice. btw all in all I took trobalt 2.5 months ... in 2 phases. I move with caution and self judgement.

depression is very rarely a disease in itself, it is a result of other things .. and if so there are many ways to go before one resorts to harmfull drugs.

When I hear people in favor of these drugs talk they seem completely unaware how harmful they are!

It is funny you mention chemical imbalance jsut now ... because I`m watching the documentary and there are doctors and psychiatrist speaking about the fact that this chemical imbalance is a lie created to sell these pills ...

maybe you should watch it, I think it is a good idea.

If someone gives you a bread on the street you look at it to see if it is wise to eat it no? ...

anyway... we are just sharing ... but I take any opportunity to inform anyone. The choice is up to you ...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Carlos1

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @nills Thank you .......I respect and admire your stand stay strong

30. Sonny Buzzing

Sonny Buzzing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/1979
      Gabapentin was for me was initially a godsend and does provide relief. I take it on a as need basis. It can help in sleep and help with anxiety associated with the condition. This does not work however with some folk as I have found. I've tried harder sleep aids and in the end they can be problematic. Less is always better and it gets better as you acclimatize over time with the condition. It can be a bumpy ride of course. Gaba over time has a reduction in its effectiveness for me so I try to take it sparingly. Sleep is key and for me an indicator is shoulder tightness. I always have background noise also, an air conditioner or a box fan pointed toward a wall in winter.

• Like Like x 2