Gardasil Vaccine & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Shelbylynn, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      Dear Dr. Nagler,

Yesterday while at my GP’s office I received 1 out of 3 of the shots of the Gardasil vaccines to protect against HPV. I mentioned my tinnitus but of course the doctor assured that she had no knowledge of it making tinnitus worse. My question is how should we as people with tinnitus regard vaccines such as these? Or any vaccines? Are they safe? I can’t help but worry that it’ll increase my tinnitus. At the same time I want to be as best protected as I can.

Thanks again.

-Shelby

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @Shelbylynn -

Thank you for your inquiry.

I am away taking care of a family matter. I should be back in Atlanta by next week and will respond then. I apologize for not being able to get to it sooner.

Regards -

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello again @Shelbylynn -

None of the vaccines available today can cause auditory damage. A few contain tiny amounts of an aminoglycoside antibiotic to maintain sterility, but not nearly enough of the drug to be a concern.

In the highly unlikely event that you experience an increase in tinnitus intensity after taking the HPV vaccine (or any vaccine for that matter), it should be temporary. If it is not, then the vaccine was not the problem in the first place.

The risks of not taking the vaccine are infinitely greater than the risks of taking it - tinnitus or no tinnitus.

Hope this helps.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.