Ginkgo Biloba

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Piper, Jun 25, 2013.

?

If you have taken Ginkgo Biloba, did it help your tinnitus?

1. I noticed an improvement in my tinnitus

61 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I did not notice any improvement

273 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. I do not know if it helped (e.g. took other supplements at the same time)

162 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I think my tinnitus got worse due to taking it

55 vote(s)
    10.0%
    1. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Nothing to increase.
      Ginkgo is not good for T.

2. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      What exactly do you mean?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Gingko Biloba won't hurt you unless if you are susceptible to internal bleeding, as Gingko inhibits monoamine oxidase and has as a side effect a risk of bleeding. That said, Gingko also probably won't help you -- studies have been done that show that Gingko does nothing to benefit people, and its effect is largely a placebo. Gingko has with it a number of risks - because it conveys a strong series of allergenics and so the risks of an adverse reaction increase significantly if you happen to have an allergic reaction to it.

Finally, because of Gingko generally increases blood flow and has impacts on circulation, that might be what is causing you to notice your Tinnitus a bit more - it could be causing additional blood flow to the region. You may wish to try vinpocetine, which in the United States is an herbal / dietary supplement but does not convey any of the many side effects that Gingko carries.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. g.makulik
      Smoking joe

g.makulik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue! Love Rock'n Roll and Punk Music, and to hear it loud.
      I've started to take this medication (120mg Ginko Extracts daily) about 3-4 weeks ago, and I'm still unsure about it's positive effect.
      I seriously should keep a log about my daily tinnitus experience, to get some real evidence of an improvement over time.

Last week I was pretty satisfied, and had the feeling the therapy lowered my pains, and the tinnitus sounds (it's high frequency ~10-11 kHz for my case) were less loud in general, and disappeared for certain days in whole (they did, and do before and now), more often than without the medication.
      But this week (day), I feel completely thrown back to my initial state, and two days ago,- after feeling
      pretty relaxed -, it was a really worse attack (by means of loudness of the void signal felt).
      Does anyone have experience, or more advice about using that stuff? May it help in the long term?

It's pretty expensive, and I already bought a 2nd package of 30 tablets, to try further another month. So I'd like to know if it's worth it, and what I can do additionally to improve (I've also started to drink more water over the day).

Best regards,
      Günther

5. g.makulik
      Smoking joe

g.makulik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue! Love Rock'n Roll and Punk Music, and to hear it loud.
      Sounds pretty interesting! I also understand why Ginko might not be the right supplement. Originally I thought "Tebonin" somehow referred to tea-tree-oil, well I was seriously mislead.

If anyone has more tips for improving from bad tinnitus experience like mine (1), just by medication (and probably drinking more water over the day), I'd appreciate these.

--------------------------------------------
      1. My tinnitus is like
      • ~10-11kHz sinus tone, increasing/decreasing loudness.
      • Mostly it stays at the stance it is, when I wake up.
      • It rarely changes overall day. 2-3 days a week I'm (almost) symptom free.

6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I couldn't agree more. I haven't heard of one person who has been helped by it for any ailment actually. It seems overwhelmingly obvious that it doesn't work. But then again, I continue to see posts of people taking NAC and that doesn't seem to help either.

7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Before it was Zinc, then Ginko and now magnesium/NAC seems to be the rage.

The unpopular truth is that none of this has shown any results in a formal trial setting done by independant researchers. The only thing it will relieve you off is your money.

8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Yep. And the thing is, usually there is a grain of truth to these types of things. But it seems like there is none for ginkgo or NAC or magnesium.

I am a believer in supplements, but not for tinnitus.

9. Bryan101
      Depressed

Bryan101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Still not sure what caused my T. But Ginko has done nothing for me. My T is screaming loud today.

10. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      I've tried ginko for four months all I can say it's done nothing for my tinnitus.

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ginko wouldn't work as it isn't logical for it to work. Well, unless you have blood flow issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. bernard padlan

bernard padlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months ago
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss (moderate) and side effects of some drugs
      I stop taking ginkgo when I learned that there is a bad reaction on Diabetic person like me.

13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to hear that! Best avoided then.

14. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I have started taking gingko for the second time since the onset 1.5 years ago. Will keep posting the results

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think Ginkgo is only going to help you if your tinnitus is related to circulation. I have tried it in tablet form in low doses <120mg per day for a month and it did nothing.

However I am now starting 500mg per day in liquid form from a good brand. I will also take it before doing a run and see how that works out for a month and report back.

16. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      In my own experience, with noise induced tinnitus, Gingko Biloba had absolutely no effect whatsoever after taking it every day for 6 months. Not saying that it can't help at all ever, but I would personally save your money.

17. PaulaB

PaulaB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ginkgo did not work for me. I feel that it got worse.

18. nisc

nisc Member

What is EGb 761?

19. Matterhorn
      Cowboy

Matterhorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      There is a study from UCLA that it improves T after an intake of 240mg per day at least for 3 month.70 % of patients had it gone or improved.
      It worked in my case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Matterhorn

What was the cause of your onset?

It worked??? Meaning?

• Informative Informative x 1
    21. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Hey Matterhorn

Can I ask what was your Tinnitus cause? And how long do you have your T?

22. c0ldsun
      Pacman

c0ldsun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      I took Ginko for about a a month now, and my T has been pushed more to the back. For sure when you want to hear it you hear it, but now my supplies ended and T is far more present. I have bought some new pills, lets see if it will get better again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      What about Gingko for hearing loss? Anyone had positive results with that?

24. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Coyotesheaven I have been talking Ginkgo Biloba for a number of years. According to my Hearing Therapist and Consultant my hearing is above average. They are surprised because I have quite severe tinnitus although not everyone with tinnitus has hearing loss. I take Ginkgo Biloba in tincture (liquid) form as I was advised it's absorbed into the body better than tablets. The brand I take is Avogel. Available in 100mls and 50ml bottles. Dosage: 15drops 3x a day.
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Penate

Penate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/04/2015
      NOTHING works for this horrendous condition NOTHING...

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Do you have a link to the actual study? It's not that I don't believe you. I just want to read the actual study for myself.

27. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @racerfish I would believe this link is more useful... It's actually a decent summary of most Ginkgo studies, a couple of which were done properly and yielded positive results. But if you ask me, it's a f@ckin' mess.

The actual UCLA study, I would believe is this but I'm not really certain... Search for "Ginkgo" on page(?) S27 of the .pdf
      I don't even know what to make of it, the paper basically contradicts itself saying that it may be beneficial or it may not be beneficial. Useless? I do not know.

At the end of the day, I would agree with the statement that @Penate made right above your post.
      Except Retigabine and Flupirtine nothing works. But these two molecules are basically middle to long-term liver axe murderers.

28. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I have ginko biloba capsules of 120mg 50:1 extract,
      equivalent to 6000mg leaf
      standardized to 24% flavone glycosides and 6% terpene lactones

can anybody please tell me how many capsules i could take to treat tinnitus (i know it isnt confirmed to work well but i want to try)

the bottle says take 1-2 capsules daily, but of course its not talking about for tinnitus specifically, and even then, is it better to take 2 at once or space them out through the day?

29. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      Still taking 120mg a day personally, don't know if it actually works for the T yet. On my 6th good day in a row so far again. Unknown if related. I ordered more and will keep taking, though I wonder if I should stop for a little while after my currently opened bottle runs out to see if my T gets worse.
      Discovered my base T today will increase in pitch/volume if I clench my teeth hard or open jaw wide or push hard on my forehead. Strange didn't happen before, though my TMJD-like symptoms seem to be sticking around. Eating lunch today was uncomfortable.

Maybe then I should try 240mg a day instead.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I was taking Ginkgo (for eyes) when I developed my tinnitus. I have continued to take it.

No influence whatever on my tinnitus.

Fungus.

• Like Like x 1