Ginkgo Biloba

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Piper, Jun 25, 2013.

?

If you have taken Ginkgo Biloba, did it help your tinnitus?

1. I noticed an improvement in my tinnitus

61 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. I did not notice any improvement

273 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. I do not know if it helped (e.g. took other supplements at the same time)

162 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. I think my tinnitus got worse due to taking it

55 vote(s)
    10.0%
    1. Kell

Kell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      front row indoor concert-in front of speaker
      I've started ramping up my vitamins and I thought it was working - I've had t now for about a month and a half I'd say. I recently added ginkgo biloba to my vitamins --- the t has been worse this week -- usually it's been fairly quiet but the last 2 or 3 days really not at all --- the only thing that seems to be new is the gingko biloba so this week I'm taking it back out again to see if hopefully it quiets down again. I hate this.

Robert18 - are you saying that magnesium citrate is bad and mag. stearate is ok? You found relief (relatively) with stearate?

2. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      @Kell
      Both magnesium citrate and magnesium stearate are bad,
      I found that magnesium stearate under the ingredients of ginkgo biloba label and after 3 months of using it makes my t worse.

3. lena_

lena_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      I've been taking ginkgo (the proper more expensive one like Tebonin etc) for almost 2 months... or maybe rather 1.5 months and noticed a lot of improvement, my tinnitus in one ear even went away for most of time. I take ginkgo in the morning and in the evening, the recommended dose for tinnitus, sometimes a bit less.

On the other hand, I think the time heals mine, it really is impossible to say what really helps, but I think ginkgo can't hurt, it makes blood flow 'better' in these 'remote' inner ear areas lol.. I also notice that my hands are never cold as they used to be from time to time so I would even take a smaller dose if my tinnitus went away.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Trax
      English

Trax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I started taking Ginkgo last week, but that's in the hope of it improving my memory, I hadn't heard of it being of any help with tinnitus. But I shall report back if there's any improvement. It's supposed to help increase the amount of oxygen in the brain, so I guess it improves blood flow. Maybe it increases blood flow to the ears too. I think Betahistine is supposed to do that too, so maybe people think it works in the same way as that?

5. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hey, if your looking for more memory improvement try eating a bowl of blueberries every morning. It increases mental focus 15 to 20%. Here is a study on it on humans: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...berries-day-keeps-brain-active-afternoon.html
      It increases brain bloodflow, I eat them every day, and Ginko and 10 other supplements:รพ

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Many manufacturers of Ginkgo Biloba (GB) will make all sorts of outlandish claims about its safety. While the substance is generally well-tolerated, it can be a significant problem when taken with other common medications - ASA (aspirin), NSAIDS (eg. ibuprofen, naproxen) and thiazides (for high BP).

Also there is no convincing evidence that GB has much benefit. It is likely just 'snake oil'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      @Nathaniel Teposo
      hello bro I've just seen your profile that your location are in Manila, Philippines
      We're the same country cause I came from Cebu, philipines and I moved here in Canada 4 years now.
      I got t from working noise factory.
      Sana may mga kababayan pa tayo dito makilala .

Thanks and god bless,
      Robert

8. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree that gingko biloba makes your tinnitus worse if it contains magnesium stearate. I've checked out my vitamins and most of them 8/9 have magnesium stearate in them. I read somewhere that the use of large quantities of magnesium stearate can impair the immune system and cause inflammation to the intestine and stomach. Also, my tinnitus spikes after taking a supplement with magnesium stearate in it and magnesium citrate.

9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Eyesight problems started 2 days ago I started getting nasty floaters and lite visual snow. I have also been taking ginkgo biloba to dampen my tinnitus for about 2 weeks at the maximum recommended dose.

So I found this:
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1772853/

I hate tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    10. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      firecracker
      Sorry if this is already well known on this forum, but my son's pediatrician just told me he only takes supplements that are manufactured in Germany because there, they regulate supplements and the U.S. does not. He feels he is more likely to be getting a better quality more unadulterated substance if it is from Germany. (He also said Japan regulates supplements.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. ClaudiaT

ClaudiaT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      firecracker
      @cspc Holy Cow, I just looked and ALL the supplements I am giving my son for his tinnitus contain MgStearate. Where do you get supplements that don't contain that?

12. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Most supplements contain this. Omega 3 usually doesn't contain.

13. Hex
      Thinking

Hex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Hydrops
      Is it okay to take Ginkgo Biloba with Vinpocetine 120 mg?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am trying it now. I am unsure what caused my T. If it is noise related, it was not a single accident.

15. Kell

Kell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      front row indoor concert-in front of speaker
      So for a while I've been experimenting with vitamins, I've been taking a woman's multivitamin, Evening Primrose, Biotin and hydrolyzed collagen... I've also tried other things, Zinc, B12, Gingko, hyaluronic acid, sea buckthorn, Vit. C.. and I pretty much take the first 4 daily... and I feel like they have helped. A placebo effect is FINE with me too, whatever helps and whatever it takes! And I really think Gingko made it worse.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      • Informative Informative x 2
    17. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Canada is the world's leading ginkgo producer - same with mustard, weird, huh? So most of the stuff is pure. I use New Roots - great company. There's also Arches out of the US. Ginkgo also increases blood pressure so if you have high BP that could be what's causing your tinnitus to spike, not the ginkgo per se. It doesn't make mine worse, but it doesn't seem to make it better either. I'm mainly taking it because it does help the brain and that in the long run is what will help resolve your tinnitus sooner rather than later - and stave off memory loss, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    18. WestCoastGirl85
      Buzzed

WestCoastGirl85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic ear drops getting into inner ear canal
      Ginkgo doesnโ€™t work for tinnitus. Totally a placebo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      You can't just say that it doesn't work, I've talked to a several people that had good results with Ginkgo after taking it for several months, but their tinnutis has vascular/neck origin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. SignalExec
      Batty

SignalExec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/15/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma?
      That's very interesting. It seems that almost all studies finding an effect of Ginkgo are by German researchers. There was also a study reporting that German doctors prescribe ginkgo more often and they think it's more effective than doctors from other countries.

I'm on mobile. Otherwise I'd find a link to the paper.

Does your son live in the US or Canada? If so, where does he get his supplements from?

• Like Like x 1
    21. djub

djub Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SHL
      Ginkgo Biloba, especially the extract called EGb 761ยฎ was tested in this study:

http://www.edukafarm.cz/data/soubory/casopisy/20/32-tinitus.pdf

However it's in Czech language.

A daily dosage between 200 - 120mg had been given to patients.
      A mitigation of tinnitus perception is reported in major group of patients, compared to placebo group.

Only EGB761 extract is recommended and proven.

I've been using this third week after a worsening of my tinnitus, so I can keep you informed.

I have been prescribed EGB761 (vasodilator) with combination of HBO therapy.

My tinnitus began after SSNHL on left ear two ears ago. I've lost high frequencies, and exposure to this tones worsening it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Ginkgo does not work including its various concentrates such as EGb 761 which has been around for 20 years. Gingko has been touted as a tinnitus treatment for decades and has failed at that. These favorable ginkgo studies for T and other conditions were mostly funded by the ginkgo manufacturers themselves.

Believe me, if Gingko and other so called T supplements did indeed work, news would have spread like wildfire and none of us would be here at TT today asking "does ginkgo work?" because we would already know the answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I've been taking Gionkgo Biloba for over 20 years for tinnitus. I stopped about 10 years ago when I ran out and by then I was sort of feeling habituated. But then at one point it started being noticeable again, so I started taking it again. Honestly I doubt it helps. Probably a placebo. I should probably stop taking it again and see if there is any difference. If the current spike from dental work ever dies down I will try to stop it and see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Clint Azzopardi
      Woot

Clint Azzopardi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, Gentamicin or allaergy or both !
      @Manex Thanks for your reply, sorry for your spike.

I'm planning some dental work as well, and am a bit paranoid, may I ask you what kind of dental work did you do?

26. Manex

Manex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced 1995, Azithromycin 2018
      I had what was supposed to be two simple filling replacements but it turned out it was a much deeper cavity and they were warning that I may need a root canal in the future.

What I've gathered as advice on the forums AFTER I did it.

1. Don't wear ear plugs as that keeps the sound in your head (since it's coming from your mouth already)
      2. Take NAC a few days before and after.
      3. Big one: Ask the dentist to drill for only 5 seconds then take 10 seconds to rest. Some people pay them more because it takes longer.
      4. Investigate or look for laser drilling option as that might be quieter.

And note I did none of these and did wear ear plugs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Manex -- Daniel Amen, founder of Amen Clinics, has done literally tens of thousands of brain scans, documenting how various thgings affect the health of the brain. He says some of the best brain scans he's taken are of those who've taken gingko biloba over a period of time.

He doesn't claim to treat tinnitus, but as I think what we all know here, whatever supports brain function can only be helpful or supportive of tinnitus. It may only be that the tinnitus does not get worse, but that can be very signficant in and of itself.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      I had some success with Ginkgo EGB 761 (Tanakan) extract I started using it when I first got my acoustic trauma from headphones back in 2016 and my tinnitus has gone from moderate to mild.

I don't know if it was natural spontaneous recovery or other vitamins helped since I took Vinpocetine and B vitamin complex at the same time, but I know that it certainly didn't hurt and that Ginkgo is great natural antioxidant and nootropic. I still continue to use Ginkgo, but cheaper Doctor's Best brand. To this day it hasn't completely cured my tinnitus or anything like that but it makes it more bearable.

When I first started Ginkgo however I also expected by some miracle that it could improve circulation in the inner ear and by doing that effectively improve my hearing, but it didn't happen since my hearing loss is not caused by bad circulation, but rather synapse and hair cell damage and it still is just as horrible as it was in 2016 and perhaps even worse.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I took Gingko Biloba a long time ago and it did not work, it did nothing.

30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Juan -- I tried it as well, what appeared to be a high quality extract. Made my tinnitus worse--consistently.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1