Going to a Funeral

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tenna, May 26, 2014.

1. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Yesterday my grandmother passed away, and swiftly I'm here to make it about me lol..
      With that rises many questions one being how to deal with tinnitus at a funeral.
      I know it's going to be in a church, and I know how much churches loves funerals meaning bells and the organ will duel for a solo.

Does anyone know the dB values of inside a church and should I be ok with earplugs? It might vary a lot from one to another, I just wouldnt like being the one wearing earplugs+headbuds and crying all over partly because of my loss and partly because of t.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      My condolences, Tenna. I lost my grandma late last year.

I didn't have to use earplugs, the church part was quiet, and the organ wasn't loud either.

I wouldn't worry about that, but take your earplugs with you just in case.

Markku

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I appreciate that Markku, and my condolences straight back :) yesterday was the first time I saw and touched someone dead, a very moving experience.
      I'll definitely do that thanks

• Like Like x 1
    4. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sorry for your loss Tenna. Take your ear protection, "just in case".

5. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Sorry for your loss. You should def bring your earplugs. Organs can be really loud if they are big. Sometimes they hit the huge bel, that can get really loud to. I have temporary work at funerals so ive been to a loottt

6. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      So sorry for your loss. I have been to both my gran's and uncle's funeral in the past year, so I completely understand. I remember thinking when I was at my uncle's funeral that I would rather be anywhere in the world but here. I hope you are okay and coping.

We had music at both my gran's and uncle's, the latter funeral when I had T, and I did not notice any change. As the others have said, take your earplugs and slip them in if needed. I honestly don't think it will be an issue. Best wishes.

7. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry for your loss tenna.

Those church organs can be quite loud, best wear some earplugs just in case.

8. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      My condolences.

Yes please carry your ear plugs as others have said. In case you need them.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I appreciate it guys, everything considered the family is doing alright, we'll honour her later this week :)
      *Earplugs ready*

10. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      wow tenna, im sorry, but honestly ,that would give me nightmares...i mean the fact of touching someone dead,even if it would be a stranger, but someone close...wow, this must be the only harder thing than tinnitus i guess ;(

11. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Tenna sorry to hear that. @Markku my condolences to you as well even though I'm a bit late.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      michela I felt the same, I'm really happy I did it though, always when I've been thinking about someone close dying I've trembled at the thought of seeing them and touching them, but now I'd regret not doing so! :)

13. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im sorry for your loss! You will be A okay in the church.. I was at church last weekend and had foam plugs and i had them in so good i could barely hear the organ and according to everyone else she was blasting that thing so i was pretty suprised how quiet those plugs made it :)

• Like Like x 1
    14. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I'm sorry for your loss Hun.

As for the church - I wouldn't be worried at all. Funerals are usually a lot quieter than say a wedding

• Like Like x 1
    15. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      sorry for your lost . my dad past away 5 months ago, i would take ear plugs just in case i carry in my bag everyday just in case.......

• Like Like x 1
    16. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      There was a trumpet player at my Grandpa's funeral. Very scary, but I had my cotton.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Ugh, my uncle is a pro piano player and might play on a grand piano there, ought to be nice though

18. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      @Tenna so sorry for your loss (even if I'm a bit late here); if you haven't already attended the service I would have earplugs at the ready.

Prayers!

• Like Like x 1