Going to Be without Meds for a Few Days — Is This Going to Mess Me Up?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ash04, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Ash04

Ash04 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine and 25mg Nortriptyline daily a month ago when I was in the hospital. The place they referred me to to see a psychiatrist and start therapy is a mess.

To make a long story short...I saw someone for intake at this place and then had an appointment a week later with the psychiatrist. She was a total jerk. The appointment was maybe 15 minutes and she didn’t even look at me once. She said she’d call in my prescriptions in 30 days. I called today to make sure my prescriptions were going to be called in and the psychiatrist is out for the next few days.

I’m going to be without meds for a few days. Is that really going to mess me up? I don’t know anything about medication. I have always avoided everything unless it was antibiotics that I had no choice but to take.

I should mention I was in a psych hospital because I was suicidal and still feel that way some days. I’m trying not to stress, but I really can’t handle anything else at this point.

2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      You will likely have a fair bit of anxiety and stress as you come off them.

Can you not see another doctor for a perscription?

3. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Not ideal, but I have been on fluoxetine before and a couple of days isn't too bad as it has a long half life. If you've only been on it a month though, you may not have a large build up in the system so it could affect you slightly differently.

You will likely feel stressed as you are perhaps anticipating anxiety. This is a normal concern and emotion.

You can bridge a couple of days.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      25mg is ok but if I was you I would break your 25mg in half so you have a lower dose till you get some more thats better than none.
      I have done that easily with no problems on 25mg and dropped the other when come off it.
      now I take a 25mg for sleep when needed.

5. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1