Guitar Players or Any Instrument :)

Discussion in 'Support' started by s-viv, Apr 9, 2015.

1. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Anyone here still playing?
      I recently decided to learn to play guitar, and I have noise induced tinnitus.

I have both an acoustic and electric. I personally think the noise of the acoustic is to loud and doesn't exactly sound good when you play metal on it :)
      I much rather play unplugged, or on low volume on my small practice amp. The volume control is so much better and it doesn't resonant as much...

I notice that many people here seem to abandon the electric and amp. If played at reasonable volumes or with dual ear protection, I am not sure there is a problem.

Anyone have any opnions or preferences??

I play as schecter c-1 plantinum on a small blackstar amp...not sure I will ever rock out to its full potential out of fear, though I am pretty sure dual protection is good enough..it still sounds good plugged up.

2. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I trashed my ears in the 70's, then again in the late 80's. For me, electric music isn't fun unless it's loud. I paid a hell of a price.
      Your approach is different and interesting. You're using the amp to play at a safe, low volume.
      I can't play for too long or too loud acoustically either.
      You folks who like loud, loud concerts, are you listening? This is what loud music can do to you. And it's forever.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Electric is great loud for full distortion, but I find I can enjoy it at low volumes. Actually my acoustic being strummed is louder then when I put it on a more metal setting with a higher gain and volume, though I still use dual ear protection for anything over 70 db. I try to keep the amp between 55 and no greater than 85 db. I don't play for more than an hour at a time, with a mix of volume and styles.

I got my tinnitus from a loud show. I have only been to 2 metal shows since, and I had a good time. I wore 33 db plugs and muffs. Stood towards the back and didn't have a problem. The volume level for me was comfortable. I think the ear muffs work great, though they can be uncomfortable to wear for 3 hrs straight. I think this might be dependent on the person's ears though and the amount of damage already occurred.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I'm surprised more musicians aren't responding to your post.
      What's the world coming to?
      Maybe if more people would play their own music and quit shucking out big money to go to dangerous concerts, there'd be better music in the world and less tinnitus. +wink+

5. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      I love music more than I hate my tinnitus. I agree that the acoustic guitar seems to be louder than my little VOX amp when on 3 or 4. I had molds done and now I'm waiting for the plugs to be made. I will be back at it soon. Still not too sure about going to a live show though. I also enjoy refinishing furniture and use a palm sander for hours at a time. I wear plugs but I'm considering taking a break until the custom plugs arrive.

6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi s-viv,

I went from electric (was a metal fan in younger days) to acoustic and now when I play it's classical guitar. Nylon strings are a lot nicer to my ears and I've mellowed (a bit) with age so I'm happy with it a bit more chilled now. I am more of a production person these days, easy to work at low volumes when electronic.

I found that the tones of metal were the main issue, all the mid ranges maxed out. That was the thing that hurt my ears the most. If you sculpt your sound well I reckon the approach you have now works pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      Let me hear how those molds work for you. I usually use the foam plugs and have heard mixed reviews on the molded plugs.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts

I agree, it is crazy. I love music, guess not many others do as well.
      It is a lot safer to play your own music, even imitating the styles of your favorite musicians is fun.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Methos1979
      Musical

Methos1979 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1975
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Military
      I play strictly acoustic now - my loud rock days are over, mostly because I'm too old to rock-n-roll, too young to die. I have an acoustic duo with my wife now and we play amplified - no issues there. I still go to the occasional rock show but I wear custom ear plugs I had made a few years back, depending on the venue and the show (band). I do not find an acoustic too loud and hard on the ears but I also play all fingerstyle with the meat of the finger tips, not the nails, so the tones tend to be more muted and not as bright or loud. I can see where a steel-string acoustic strummed with a pick might get annoying.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I say go with a small amp or a nice acoustic. I am a fan of a 000 body or dreadnaught but love my nylon. Also give your ears breaks every once in a while when practicing...

• Like Like x 1
    11. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      You don't need to protect for 70-75 db

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      s-viv
      Artistic