Halo Sport Neuroscience Device

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by EatMoTacos, Aug 10, 2017.

1. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      https://www.haloneuro.com

Looks like a company developed a tDCS system to stimulate current to the brain while you exercise. Intresting. Isn't this already a thing for tinnitus treatmeant?

I wonder if this could be used paired with ACRN or Notched Noise or sounds to retrain the brain to ignore the tinnitus? Just a thought.

From the website:

Scientists have rigorously analyzed the benefits of various types of neurostimulation over the past fifteen years, including transcranial direct current stimulation (abbreviated “tDCS”). Hundreds of peer-reviewed academic papers document the efficacy, reliability, and safety of tDCS for motor skill performance. In addition, Halo’s team of doctors and neuroscientists conducted thousands of hours of in-house testing before even beginning to design Halo Sport.

2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      They reference another product they design to treat epilepsy that looks interesting, the Neuropace http://www.neuropace.com/the-rns-system/#how-it-works

It's a tDCS device. It's targeting the motor cortex so it probably won't be so effective for tinnitus. This recent study http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154286 - used "20 minutes of left temporal area anodal (LTA) or bifrontal tDCS stimulation (2 mA) or sham stimulation (0.3 mA) for ten consecutive days"

The conclusion was:

"Self-administered at-home tDCS was safe and easy to use and gave similar results in tinnitus outcome measures to recent in-hospital trials. When proper training is given to the patients, self-administered tDCS with a pre-configured device is a feasible way for conducting long-term tDCS treatment trials, and more importantly, this is not restricted to tinnitus only. There was no beneficial effect of active (2.0 mA) tDCS treatment on tinnitus distress when compared to sham (0.3 mA) treatment."

The study did not pair any auditory stimulation and did not measure immediate effects after using the stimulation.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      So if the study didn't pair it with auditory stimulation then wouldn't that be worth a shot?

4. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Did you ever purchase this device? The price has dropped since it was first introduced and they offer a 30 money back guarantee. I know it targets the motor cortex but I think it's worth a shot.

5. Atlsher

Atlsher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just stumbled across this product last night and started searching for information on tinnitus relief using halo. Since it reports to be more of a device to activate only the motor cortex it’s likely not going to help.

However, I am going to try anyway. Working in neuroscience I have wondered if it would help since I am going through retraining therapy.

A year ago I woke up with not just a screaming whistle, but I also had 80% hearing loss in my right ear. After many ents in Atlanta told me it was tinnitu and the only thing left was a hearing aid, I did my own homework and ended up at UCLA. I was diagnosed with semicircular canal dehiscence and had surgery in May. The ringing got better, but still there and the hearing loss is there hit seems to be getting better although I haven’t had an audiology test in a few months.

The one thing that always made me feel better, before and after surgery was listening to classical music. Specifically, Vivaldi’s violin pieces. So I decided to lean to play the violin. When I play, I can’t hear the ringing, and forgot it exists because I am so focused on what I am doing.

If the halo device will help me learn the violin, along with the retraining therapy, I am curious to see if it will make an impact. I do wear a hearing aid now, but only to listen to the sounds that i am missing and it’s helping. The violin is hard to learn.

I’ll report back when I get the device!!!

• Like Like x 1
    6. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You beat me to it! I tried to order it after Christmas but they were sold out. Now they don't ship until April. I figure we have nothing to lose. I plan to combine my Halo training with my current supplement stack: NAC/ALCR, Nicotinamide Riboside, and Lion's Mane Mushroom. Good luck!