Do You Practice a Sport?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by El BUZZ, Feb 3, 2023.

1. TinniGone

TinniGone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I play tennis twice a week and exercise at the gym around twice a week.

It definitely helps with better physical and mental health and has long-term benefits on tinnitus. Some people might experience a temporary, very short spike after intense exercise but that's usually due to increased blood pressure. In the long-term it is full of benefits.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Josh59

Josh59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise trauma
      Hello,

My tinnitus increases when I ride my exercise bike at home.

Because of my hyperacusis (painful on certain frequencies) and my tinnitus, I ride an exercise bike at home.

I notice that my tinnitus increases and tends not to decrease in the following hours. The bike while running is about 35-38 dB maximum.

Is this due to the continuous sound generated by the bike? Or is it due to the physical activity?

I also have somatosensory modulated tinnitus which is very present in my daily life. Could this increase in tinnitus be caused by involuntary contractions of the muscles of the head and neck?

Interestingly, I hear clicks and crackles when I swallow my saliva in the Eustachian tubes/tympanum. However, when I do sports, these symptoms disappear. Maybe there is a link with the dilation of the blood vessels or the middle ear muscles?

Finally, apart from cycling in my flat, if I walk outside in a quiet place (40-50 dB), my tinnitus is very loud afterwards. Is this due to my hyperacusis or due to the increase in somatosensory modulated tinnitus?

Thank you.

3. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Looks like physical movement (somatic), increased blood pressure and sound all have the propensity to increase tinnitus during exercise.

Perhaps the less fit a person is, the bigger the increase in tinnitus during exercise?

4. tiniturk
      No Mood

tiniturk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I also box 4 times a week. I did some MMA from age 13 til 18 but I had to stop due to a shoulder injury. I am still watching every UFC event whenever I can, tho.

I love boxing. The companionship with your fellow boxer, the desire to come up on top, everything just fits for me personally. Before the holy month of Ramadan I had my first amateur fight which I lost on a split decision, ever since then I am taking a break on boxing, but I will start again next Monday. Looking forward to it!

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I used to be an avid bow hunter, usually shoot around 30 arrows a day 4x a week during hunting season. Well, the sudden noise rating of my bow is 95 dB for probably 0.10 seconds. What's everyone's opinion on exposing myself to this level of noise? Never thought there would come a day where I can no longer shoot my bow.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wanna take up ballet again but they play the music so loud and shout the positions out during class.

Hard to find a supermarket that doesn’t have the music blaring, never mind an exercise class.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      I've posted this elsewhere, but exercise is the one guaranteed way for me to increase my tinnitus. And it takes a while to slowly return to a more baseline level. I've noticed it after biking outside (wearing foam earplugs) and on treadmill (elevated and at a pace to cause me to breath harder), and even after some faster paced walks outside and running. Fitness level didn't seem to make difference - I'm more likely to push harder and go longer the more fit that I am also. I don't think I have hyperacusis. Exposure to certain tones will temporarily (very shortly) reduce my tinnitus - residual inhibition.

8. Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      You’ll be fine. 95 dB impulse noise is far from dangerous. My tinnitus is quite reactive and I have never had any issues with any spikes whatsoever when shooting my bows (recurve and compound).

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Henrik

Henrik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      I go hiking, walking and riding the bike. Especially riding the bike has a positive effect. It might be because of my tinnitus originates from an Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, but I feel like the deep breathing over a longer period of time is good for me. It might also ventilate my tubes. Also, I feel like the rise of pulse and increase of body circulation/blood flow is a benefit. Exercise usually has a good effect on my tinnitus noise level. Especially right after exercise it seems to be muffled.

10. hopefuldede

hopefuldede Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      I have ETD and run quite a bit. For an hour after I exercise I feel normal; my ears don’t feel clogged etc.

Can I ask you two things please as a fellow ETD sufferer? What does your tinnitus sound like and have you flown since having ETD? Thank you in advance.

11. Henrik

Henrik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      My tinnitus can sound different. When it's weak, it's like a rustling, when it's stronger, it's like a sharper hiss, or a combination of both. Some days and sometimes at night it's more like a "morse code" - a higher tone, that regularly changes to a deeper tone and then back. It's not very bad currently. I have not flown since having ETD.

In general my ears don't feel clogged. When my nose completely clogs for a longer period of time, for example at night when I don't notice it, the noise can get very loud afterwards but goes down after a while after unclogging the nose. Sometimes, when there is a imbalance between the opening of the left and right nostril, this can happen: I inhale, and exactly at the point when the inhaling stops and I begin to exhale, I hear a "click" in my left ear. For me, that's a sign, that there is still an imbalance of the pressure in the ear. My doctor said that it's ETD and that it's a cause of my tinnitus. A month ago my right ear felt clogged and strange, and in that ear I had a sharp spike, but it settled down after a few days - when the strange feeling in the right ear also vanished.

When doing sport, like riding the bike, I think it has two effects that muffle my tinnitus: 1. strong inhaling during the sport ventilates my tubes. 2. It raises my blood pressure and pulse.

The second thing is a something that I noticed recently: I have quite low blood pressure and low pulse in general. Low blood pressure over a long period of time is known to cause tinnitus, because the blood doesn't circulate too well. Therefore I currently work on raising my blood pressure.

Today I had a blood draw and beside the general readings I asked for my Vitamin D, Zinc and Potassium levels.

I'll see the result in a few days.

12. TheDarius
      Cheerful

TheDarius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ZBum got my profile picture of him with makeup removed LOL!
      Let's go Champ!

I hope you got the reference from above. It's from the crazy stalker that knocked Klitschko off his paddle board. It's part of the Briggs-Klitschko saga.

I do boxing, Muay Thai/Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I was more competitive in my teenage years with some fights in boxing, Muay Thai and MMA. Back then, I did train in Freestyle Wrestling and Judo too, but I don't do that anymore. Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo and Freestyle Wrestling is all you need for MMA or a realistic fight. You got your striking with grappling skills to pay the bills on the ground and standing up.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No wonder you're popping up in the Ukraine thread and being witless, marking posts as funny; I guess you must believe that Putin and Russia are really all that. I think you've had one punch too many or possibly you're just a lurker, sock puppet.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. prowlinacage

prowlinacage Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long-term noise exposure
      I’m an avid bowler and a table tennis fiend.

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. TheDarius
      Cheerful

TheDarius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ZBum got my profile picture of him with makeup removed LOL!
      Heh, they are just yellow faces on the internet? Get over it old man.
      wtf-blink.gif

What does practicing sports have anything to do with Putin and Russia? Lmao. Are you okay? I think Putin and Russia are the opposite of "all that," however this is a thread about sports, not politics? Spend less time on politics, then you will feel chill and happier about life.

If you don't spend any time doing any physical activity (which I would recommend, you will become healthier), then this is completely unrelated to the sports thread. Let's keep the sports thread about sports.

• Funny Funny x 2
    16. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Usually, when they leave a funny reaction over in that thread, I see that as a clear sign that they have nothing to contribute beyond the typical dumb rhetoric of hating the West and promoting Russian propaganda talking points. They know they got nothing, too. It’s better that they don’t reply to mine or your posts, because by not posting anything, it spares them the humiliation and embarrassment of being called out and publicly ridiculed by yours truly (hi!). @Lane used to be a regular there too. He also did a fantastic job helping me mop up these closeted Putin fanboys, too.

I honestly don’t mind their reactions. Actually, I want them to rate my posts over there, lol. These kids are unknowingly boosting my positive rating score, helping me secure a top 10 spot among all-time members lol. Are you seeing this @Damocles? I’m coming for you :).
      65D7A4C0-70F7-447D-B480-3807C935466A.gif

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1