Do You Practice a Sport?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by El BUZZ, Feb 3, 2023.

1. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Dear buzzing comrades,

I would like to start by emphasizing my utmost encouragement to you all who have not done it yet, to immediately take on a sport. I'm 100% convinced that it helps making this condition easier to deal with.

My sport of choice is boxing, the silliest in the menu for a tinnitus chosen one. Well, ditching it would be the last straw on the camel's back for a highway to a total depression and misery, I guess.

I practice it on a daily basis, when I manage to do it... Skipping rope, running, heavy bags, double end bags, sparring, pads, lift some weights, work on my footwork... It can be approached from many angles making it a very rich and technically beautiful sport. I simply love it and it has given me more sweet oranges than sour lemons.

What about you?

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I exercise by walking the mountains, sometimes up to 5 miles. Then I give my right arm a workout lifting a glass of whisky.

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm sure your doctor is very happy about that.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I ride my bicycle and also play ping-pong. Before hyperacusis and tinnitus I used to swim but then I stopped. A few years into hyperacusis I tried to take it up again and went back to the swimming pool, but under water my ears felt weird, and popped, and cracked, all the time... so I had to stop.

Maybe I will give it a try again... my ears have not been under water for many years.

• Like Like x 1
    5. tniuf
      Banhappy

tniuf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st 2016, 2nd 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it's not from meds it doesn't matter, avoid concerts
      Thanks for your suggestion. Have you experienced any changes to tinnitus while exerting effort? How have you dealt with that? Does your tinnitus have any somatic component to it and how does it interfere with your training? Have you noticed improvements to your tinnitus after having started your training?

6. obnoxious

obnoxious Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sleeping with headphones
      I just walk. Approx 2.5km every day, sometimes more.

• Like Like x 1
    7. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      I had to stop doing a lot of things for quite a while with the onset of hyperacusis, but I'm back doing pretty much what I want now with regards to sports. With some minor limitations of course.

Gym, football, hiking.

I also love racquet sports, but haven't been able to play it nor football for some time now due to damaged meniscus in my right leg + sciatica/piriformis pain left leg.

MRI is done, and the damage is there. So I have an assessment this coming week to evaluate whether to operate the meniscus or rehab. Will probably opt for the last one as it is a minor damage. And being physically fit, rehab is, probably, the best option for me.

Anyhow, just to make sure people here understand, doing all this does come with a price. It's not like it's "a walk in the park". I do get more ear fatigued, and on the more sensitive and reactive days it takes a lot mentally to go - temporary spiking, or whatever you may call it, is common. My tinnitus fluctuates a lot.

BUT, for me, the upside in the long run makes it worth it. I guess you can relate @El BUZZ.

If I would give up everything, I would only make myself miserable. I do understand that some people have such a hard time with this, in many ways, that they are not able to do much.

We all need to find our own way.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I walk and ride my eBike. Those are probably not sports, but they keep me fit and both work very well for my photography. About the only sport I ever did was shoot pool, and again, I'm not sure that qualifies as a sport. Back in the day I did the usual stuff. Backyard football, frisbee chasing, a little baseball, swimming, etc.

Just my personal opinion, but I would be cautious about boxing if I had tinnitus. A blow to the head could/would be dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @tniuf, sport definitely helps me feel better, specially in the psychological aspect. Depending on how hard I train, my tinnitus can feel louder afterwards but usually goes back to baseline (severe tinnitus) after a couple of hours.

@momus, a punch in your face always implies several risks. I always train with my earplugs (foam) on, which seems to absolutely help when I receive a blow near or in my ears. I also use a high quality headgear with an extra chunk of protection for the ears. Other than that, I'm more concerned about my nose than my ears.

• Like Like x 1
    10. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I agree, sports or exercise in general is really good. It relaxes the limbic system quite well, making tinnitus distress less prevalent (especially in the act).

I do strength training in the form of calisthenics. I’m interested in trying cycling (with earplugs) at some point soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    11. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I used to love playing some competitive tennis when I was younger, I wasn't the best player but it was fun nonetheless :)

Nowadays I just do some nightly speed walking to keep them leg muscles strong but by the time I'm getting home I feel like crawling through the door. That just means it's working though, I hope :LOL:

runner-marathon-crawl.gif

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Cycling is some really cool exercise packed with plenty of benefits for your overall health.

I practiced it on a professional level like 10 years ago. Mountain biking and road cycling as well. Two completely different disciplines.

You won't regret it a bit if you take this sport as a regular athletic activity.

Screenshot_20230207_134124_com.facebook.katana_edit_3892091823364.jpg
      Despite road work being one of the fundamental cardio conditioning practices for a boxer, I feel reluctant to do it and find it way more effective walking at a fast pace.

There have been studies proving fast walking is better than running.

Have you tried skipping rope? I can't stress enough how great it is. It's convenient, handy, fun and you're going to exercise more skipping for 10 minutes than running for half an hour. Give it a go and you'll develop cardio for days and granite solid calfs, thighs, butt cheeks, shoulders and arms, plus coordination and balance.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    13. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I was thinking of getting myself a skipping rope as once again not done that in about 7 ish years. If it helps like you say, I may actually stick with it this time. :)

• Like Like x 3
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Plenty of tricks and moves to keep you hooked to it. Just be patient and you'll have a lot of fun while getting really fit.

• Like Like x 2
    15. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      You look great in cycling gear! Yeah, I hear cycling is great way to build aerobic endurance. It’s also low-impact cardio which is good for me because my knees are so shot atm. I can’t run or jog consistently anymore without having joint pain afterwords.

Which discipline did you prefer more? Mountain biking or road cycling? I’ll probably do road cycling since I live in a city. Lots of bike paths in parks.

• Like Like x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Absolutely different disciplines.

MTB is great because of the contact with nature but the constant changes of rhythm make it very demanding. Imagine finishing a steep climb, then having to go downhill by a very technical trail with your heart at 160bpm and out of oxygen in your muscles and brain.

I find road cycling to be really tough from a mental perspective. Kilometers and kilometers of asphalt take a toll on your awareness of where you are at.

I'd choose MTB because of the diversity of terrains but road is big fun as well.

Pricey sport to practice, though, if you go for a decent equipment.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I weight lifted 5x a week, cycled a fair bit, and I was a very avid bow hunter. But my absolute passion is salt water fishing. I am hoping I can get back into all my hobbies again some day soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Trust me, you will soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. TeslaGuy
      Studious

TeslaGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Before my recent relapse, I used to run and go to gym occasionally. Now I have been just sitting inside my apartment unable start exercising again.

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      I've been cross-country skiing a lot in this Canadian winter. It's a great sport: a full-body, low-impact workout practiced in the calm of nature. It's been helping me a lot mentally with my condition.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cross country skiing is a great sports activity @CRGC - totally agree.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Exercise chills me out. I break a sweat everyday.

Cycling, swimming, hiking if I can, badminton, pushups, sit ups, pull ups, running stairs if my joints will let me. Two wee sessions in a day is fine by me.

Exercise is very important to me, it releases chemicals that keep my nervous system and mind stable. It is my meditation and salvation and has helped me cope with my tinnitus and hearing loss issues.

Peace out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. tniuf
      Banhappy

tniuf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st 2016, 2nd 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How do you guys deal with your tinnitus when it pulses when blood rushes in your face, or when it does other weird things when you exercise?

24. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @tniuf, ignore it. That's what I do.

To me, personally, it will always come down again. And the reward for doing physical activity is huge - especially mentally.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Well I followed El BUZZ's example of skipping rope. You can get a child's skipping rope in one of the €2 stores and maybe you have to adjust it with some washing-line to make it longer. It's a nice way to start the morning. My record now is getting up to 60 skips (with interruptions).

Roars of applause and admiration coming up from the back.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Mate! I have no words to describe how great it feels you took the rope! I'm always telling my friends to take it. I'm some kind of skipping propagandist.

Keep on skipping and you'll see results quite soon. Consistence is the name of the game.

I was about to get me a new pair of gloves when I came across your message.

Screenshot_20230214_014705_com.huawei.himovie.overseas_edit_17820437861342.jpg

How do you like them?

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Worthy of a champ, no less! And have I got this right? Necko en Mexico -- made in Mexico?

Go for it Kiddo.

I got my sixty skips done this morning again. With only one interruption.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. tniuf
      Banhappy

tniuf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st 2016, 2nd 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long after your accidents did you guys start to work out/play sports? Did you wait until your hyperacusis was healed?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      El BUZZ
      Buzzed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Make 'em a hundred, my mate!

And yes, handmade in Mexico. They make some good quality leather gloves.
      This deserves a well based answer which I cannot give myself as I haven't suffered from hyperacusis and I am 100% confident that practicing a sport can be a huge part of the road to the recovery from the emotional impact from tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Daystar
      No Mood

Daystar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Not really sports, but I started walking daily (5 km average) in January 2022. In August I also bought a gym card at my local gym which I have been to 3 times a week, following the 5x5 stronglifts program. Since I started the gym, I have walked the remaining 4 days of the week.

I have strictly followed my routine and only skipped gym/walking when I have been sick (which is about 8 days since January 2022).

I am proud of myself for keeping routine and I also enjoy both walking and going to the gym. I have lost 15 kg in a year and gained some muscle! :)

Currently on a gym pause because of a sudden setback though.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2