Has Anybody’s Hyperacusis Disappeared 100%?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Adriel93, Jan 18, 2019.

1. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      It is only my right ear that is effected. It is completely deaf and it happened suddenly in the middle of night while asleep. My left ear is fine, other than the Hyperacusis.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      how are researchers going to get grants to study noise induced pain when you guys just habituate to it?

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Mine did but it was pretty mild to begin with

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      After nearly 2 years of fluctuating H (loudness and sensitivity) and often reactive T (a real thing - not made up on internet forums, fact), I managed to massively improve both this year by listening soft classical music everyday and mostly extricating myself from society. I love classical now. Unfortunately, about a week ago it was all undone by a cold/flu virus going up my ETs. The H came back and my T has been insanely reactive and overall worsened. I do think it is easing off, but I'm back at square one.

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
      @Lex Hi, can you PM me? I have some questions regarding the Philippines. I have family there and travel there yearly.

• Genius Genius x 1
    6. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      A benzo will kill my hyperacusis (noxacusis) for 1-2 days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's very downlifting but the truth about H. Often unexpected noise or another condition like a sore throat, a cold etc make it worse very fast, all progress made in months or years is gone, in the case of noise exposure, in a matter of seconds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014: Mild Hyperacusis 2019: More severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, more recently Acoustic Shock
      I think it really depends on the person. There's plenty of people who've had hyperacusis and never had it return. The symptoms gman had return could go away much quicker if they are only being exacerbated by a cold.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      @Lex could you also PM me as well.

10. Mikkra

Mikkra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear irrigation
      I got hyperacusis at the start of my tinnitus, 1.5 months ago.
      The hyperacusis just dropped slowly and steadily, now I'm not sensitive to sounds anymore.

The tinnitus is still there though..

• Like Like x 2
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      @Mikkra thank you for sharing!

12. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did all sounds bother you if they were loud, or just high frequencies?

13. KF81

KF81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bedroom Dj'ing Using Headphones (Cheap Ones)
      It's great hearing that, I really hope this happens to me...

My ears are hissing but I can handle that. But at the moment they are also sore and very sensitive to loud sounds, I am just hoping this pain dissipates with time.

In the wars at the moment but I just have to dig in, be careful of sounds and hope for the best!

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My hyperacusis seems to have eased slightly in the past week, since getting it with my tinnitus spike at the end of April. I've been trying to stop over-protecting my ears, i.e. not wearing earplugs so much. I still pop them in when I know I'm going into busy traffic or near hand-driers in public toilets for example, but I've come to the conclusion that my H is a necessary safety measure for me to take some precautions to stop my T getting worse. If I overprotect, it seems to aggravate the H more than necessary, but if I only protect with earplugs when absolutely necessary, then the H seems to find a better balance.

I don't know if that makes sense and it looks terribly unscientific, but it sort of makes sense to me. I'm sure stress and anxiety about my condition makes things worse too. I've gone back onto the valerian tables too which I was trying to cut down on having been taking them for a year or two before my T&H spike - probably not a good time to attempt that any more now!

15. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My H was to all frequencies when it got bad. That microwave beeping sound was the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I agree! I’m in a similar situation! I’ve just had a set back and my hyperacusis is back to square 1, I found travelling in the car uncomfortable which I didn’t before. I just find it soul destroying making progress then having these set backs not truly knowing if you’ve caused a permanent spike.... so frustrating! :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My hyperacusis did not cause any permanent spikes. Just uncomfortable, and went away a few weeks later. From my personal experience, it could be a sign that things are progressing and this is the next step. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      How is a setback progress (in a positive way)?? That makes no sense buddy.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some people will recover quicker and quicker after each setback. That would show progression.

20. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I was a bit confused by that too!

• Like Like x 1
    21. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yeah I agree. This is a ‘back to square 1’ Set back which to me would indicate some damage? :(

22. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly, how long did it take you to get to where you were at prior to this setback? If you get to that point quicker, than it's likely you are improving. And keep in mind, there is no scientific evidence linking damage to human ears and hyperacusis. We simply don't know if that's the case, and the best evidence we have currently is that it's not the case. I know it's difficult but try not to think too hard into your ears having actually been damaged.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thank you @MattR I appreciate your comment. My hyperacusis is always there and I try to be as careful as possible around noise. This was unexpected and I’ve not had this type of set back since it began with a louder head hiss and ear pain. It’s like a game of snakes & ladders! So damn frustrating!! :mad:

24. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      To clarify, I was not sure what occurred at the time when my H started. In retrospect, it was just the next step in a progression of healing, and it was not a setback in any way, just an annoying phase, at least for me. I realize that some others H does last longer, or even permanently.

25. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      My hyperacusis is 99% gone.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Congratulations.
      Enjoy life, you're very lucky.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm curious from what you've said here and in other threads, that for you, the key to your hyperacusis easing off was to protect your ears. Did you protect them 24 hours a day, or just when you were in loud environments? And did you gradually taper off the amount you were using plugs, or were you able to suddenly stop when you realised it was better?

Also were you on any drugs to treat your hyperacusis and/or sleep problems?

28. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Mister Muso

I used melatonin for sleep as needed, and omega3 (about 500 mg) daily in the afternoon.

Just to be clear, I had severe, loud intrusive tinnitus, and mild hyperacusis. I never protected 24/7, and don't recommend that for anyone.

I protect from objectively loud sounds, everything 80 dB and up, including lawn mower, weed wacker, vacuums, with double protection. I also use earplugs for sleeping, haircuts, paper shredder, electric shaver, and longer car trips at freeway speeds. I wore plugs when walking on busy streets.

I don't protect just to go outside, in the shower, when shopping in the store, or to watch TV. I listen to the TV at volume <20%, and the same for the car radio. I do not use headphones for anything, and put the phone headset at the lowest volume, or use speakerphone.

I have not been to any bars, loud events, etc. I go to quieter restaurants at off times, and do not use any protection.

I have not tapered plug use, other than for short walks in traffic. I have done this a few times with nothing and been fine, although I did cover my ears when a cement truck passed.

I think my key is consistency, and avoidance of further exposure.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      When I noticed that my tinnitus slowly lowered in volume if I had less sounds surrounding me, I avoided as much sounds as possible for a period of time.

At some point, my ears started hurting (a lot) when specific sounds occurred. When I found out about H, I immediately called in sick: that same week, all I did was watch TV, while slowly increasing the sound volume as days progressed.

All the pain was gone by the time my ears had gotten used to normal sound levels again. The T pretty much increased to its earlier level as well, but I preferred that above the ear pains...

• Informative Informative x 1