Has Anyone Gotten on Disability?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LostInNorcal, Apr 21, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. LostInNorcal

LostInNorcal Member

Just curious if anyone has gotten on it from tinnitus. Sometimes I just wonder how much longer I'll be able to work with this crap. I've had tinnitus for 7 years and I have good days but my bad days are just so hard I don't know if I can keep doing it.

2. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did after filing an appeal the 3rd time..... it was not easy at all. They will only give it to you if you have tinnitus and hearing loss. And even with both they still give you a hard time. But you should definitely give it a try. I hope you get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have had deep bouts of depression in the past 3 years about tinnitus but I suffered from depression before. I guess if you have very strong depression you could get it if you get a good attorney. I hear that tinnitus is the number 1 disability for veterans.

4. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      I've heard a lot of military does due to this monster. Honestly, I'm not surprised. The HR at my work acted like I was being ridiculous about my T and when I explained to her how this can be extremely debilitating, she was shocked. I can't understand how some people can't see how this would be hard to live with. If this doesn't get better after I have the baby, I was going to look into it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. JasonP

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey I saw your tinnitus was caused by medication. Would you mind telling me which medication it was? I believe mine was due to an SSRI.

6. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      How is disability useful in the US ?

In my country, you get next to nothing for hearing loss and tinnitus. Hyperacusis does not even exist in the forms.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's only useful if you were in the military, disability for vets is tax free and they are free to work, how much they earn while on disability had no effect.

For civilians it's about the same as you described.

8. NineNails

NineNails Member

The humankind is selfish and profoundly self-righteous. Everybody knows it better while they actually no nothing.

They don't walk in other's shoes but they love to assume and to project their own perception no matter how limited it may be.

In many countries T does not exist as a medical disability. Thus you'd have to go to a psychiatrist and get a different diagnosis like depression or whatnot. Anything but T. It's utterly ridiculous!

9. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      I don't understand how tinnitus is a credible disability for veterans but for the rest of us it's treated as non-serious.

It's discrimination and it needs to change.

10. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't understand why people have to have hearing loss in addition to tinnitus for it to be seen as a disability. It's not even considered a scheduled injury for workers unless it's accompanied by hearing loss. It's treated as a non issue.

11. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Tinnitus is a lot easier to deal with when you have good hearing. Once you finally get better and the T is a distant sound in your head, you can use your hearing to mask it and also listening to the same frequency as your T in most cases brings down its intensity. When your hearing is shot, you are not able to do this. Its a pretty huge difference.

Running around all day and listening to nothing but T or T plus sounds from your everyday environment. Its a pretty easy choice.

12. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't doubt that hearing loss complicates things. But my T is ultra high pitched and unmaskable (except the shower). I likely have hearing loss in the very high frequencies, but that's hard to prove because there is not baseline or standard.

With hearing loss can't you sometimes get hearing aids that amplify the frequencies around your T?

Another thing that can be debilitating for people is hyperacusis, but that too is not even recognized.

13. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You can get hearing aides that amplify the frequencies of your T and it helps, but having hearing loss is no picnic at all. Just talking to people can be stressful and can add to anxiety which makes T worst. Hearing aides don't work like glasses where you put them on and its like magic. You still have to work really hard to figure out what people are saying and you spend most of your day trying to figure out what people are saying to you and not trying to solve the problems that you are supposed to solve. Its really draining.

You can do the same as what a hearing aide would do by playing the frequencies that your T is at during the day and see if it has any effect. Try water sounds for hours on end that mask your T. If you can do this for long enough, you might be able to habituate.

Either way though I can't stress enough that there is no replacement for natural sound.

I have frequency loss in every frequency, mostly on the high side. You can have a whole symphony playing in your head.

If you can't get rid of the T at the end of the day you have to accept the high pitch sound as your new baseline as silence. Once you learn to accept the sound is when you will learn to ignore it, and once you ignore it you hear it less and less, and the less you hear it the quieter it gets.

At the end of the day you can still beat this thing and have great hearing on top of it.

14. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I see, I don't mean to downplay hearing loss, especially if it's severe or accompanied by tinnitus. I'm fairly convinced that most people with tinnitus have "hidden hearing loss". There is strong evidence for this. You can have significant damage to your auditory system and it not show up on a normal audiogram.
      I believe you, nothing replaces natural sound.

Listening to masking music does nothing for me, not white noise, not brown noise, not water sound or circkets, the T just pierces through or tries to compete with the masking sound. Maybe if it was uncomfortably loud like 90db, but that would make things worse at the end of the day for sure. I honestly don't know what it is about the shower that masks it.

Is there any data that shows masking facilitates habituation? If it was something that I could only hear in quiet places I think I would have habituated already, or at least been on the path towards habituation. To me it's like chronic pain, and accepting that pain as your new normal. Doesn't make things much better.

15. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alue, Looking at your signature you have only had this 4 months. Believe me after one and a half years with no choice but to listen to it you will either go insane or you will accept this as your new normal. Most people just accept it as their new normal. I learned that once I accepted it, the volume dropped and I can forget about it for portions of my day. The less I think about it the quieter it gets and it is a cumulative effect.

I'm not sure of any data that shows masking facilities habituation, but it sure feels good. Maybe Try a shower sound for an hour on a cell phone and then rest and see if it goes away for any period of time afterward. The problem with T is once you have it you keep looking for it and you find it each time. Ideally if we could be re-programmed to forget it, it would go away, but thats not possible.

In my first 6 months I saw it as a chronic pain also. I didnt know how anyone could live like this. All I can say is that it does get better over time as long as you learn to accept it and not let anxiety take over and make it louder.

Yeah listening at 90db is no good. Maybe try matching the frequency at 3o db or so and see if it has any effect.

16. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's what people told me about 3 months. Does noise exposure make yours louder?

Residual inhibition does not work on me at all. There has not been 1 minute in a quiet to normal volume place where I could not hear my T.
      The frequency is too high to match too. It's not exactly a single tone either, it's more of a broadband of ultra high frequencies.

17. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Regular noise does not make it louder, but loud noise does make it louder. At this point though I stay away from anything that is even close to loud noise.

I don't think I was good until month 6 or 7, but everyone is different. Anxiety will keep it loud for longer which makes it worst.