Has Anyone Recovered from Non-Severe Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robster, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      The reason why I ask is that searching through the Success Stories category, all the recovery stories from tinnitus where it went away seem to be from those who had severe tinnitus.

The success stories seem to be from people who had a 9 or 10 out of 10 bad tinnitus. I would describe my tinnitus as on the more moderate side, on its worst days it's a 5 or 6 out of 10.

I just wanted to read a success story I could relate to. The illogical part of my brain thinks "they recovered because it was so bad the brain had more incentive to heal", I know that's illogical and not how it works.

I've read lots of success stories on here, but the ones from members like @Jason C seem to be recoveries from severe tinnitus. Can anyone point me in the direction of recovery stories from moderate, non-severe tinnitus? Or maybe someone has their own story to share here?

2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Although my tinnitus is back after years, I had minor tinnitus a few years ago that completely went away over about 12 months.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply. I hope yours goes away again.

I think I tempted fate by saying mine never gets past a 6 out of 10. It's about a 7.5 right now, loudest it's ever been and didn't get a single second of sleep last night. I drove for the first time without ear plugs to see if my hyperacusis could cope with the noise. Only a 5 minute drive. The good news is no issues with the hyperacusis, but it definitely seems to have spiked my tinnitus. Sigh.

4. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Is it as bad as initially? I wonder what caused it to come back.

5. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's worse. It seems like acoustic trauma and maybe a virus.

6. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      What do you think caused it to go away or come back?

7. bmxer883

bmxer883 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had tinnitus and fullness with crackling in my ear for 7 months. Mine started to ring and just seemed to keep getting worse. At its peak I guess you could say it was a 5-6 on a level of 1 to 10.

Seemed really bad to me but after reading other people’s stories of not even being able to go outside I guess mine wasn’t that bad. It was hurting my quality of life and making me depressed though. Anyways about a month ago I started to get relief in the morning but by afternoon it was back to normal but then it started to calm down more almost everyday.

I still have ringing but I’d say at a level 1-2 which doesn’t bother me much. It’s easy to drown out. I’m hoping it will keep going away. But seems like you never know, it could just spike for no reason from what I’ve read.

I work in a machine shop so it’s a loud environment. I do wear ear plugs and muffs. I also do a lot of work at home with power tools so I’m around a lot of loud noises and mine seems to be healing so maybe that gives you hope for yours.

• Like Like x 2
    8. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Time and healing - it's definitely possible as the first time was caused by a single loud noise and it went away. What brought it back was maybe COVID-19 and a loud noise.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm sorry but yes, that is illogical. Many people recover from minor tinnitus and don't bother posting on forums about it. Severe sufferers are more likely to have to habituate to it over time than it completely going away. The truth is most people get used to it given long enough time, but for loud intrusive tinnitus that time frame can be much longer (years).

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply, that does give me some hope. My tinnitus seems to be very up and down at the moment.

• Creative Creative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No need to apologise, I fully recognise that is illogical. It's just nice to read success stories that are closer to my individual circumstances in regards to tinnitus.

12. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I must be reading different success stories. I have found that the T that goes away for people was the 'quiet room' type at worst.

I'd love to read a chronic severe T full recovery story.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. JimR

JimR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      70's
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones,driving with open windows, loud concerts, et
      My T goes higher and lower, and sometimes I forget it's there. But it is there, my oldest (not really, buy you know...) friend.

14. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Has Anyone Recovered from Non-Severe Tinnitus?
      Yes, hundreds of millions of people that do not have an account here and all the people that left this forum without posting a success story.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The title of the post was a bit misleading, but when I tried to change it the next day I was unable to. I realise plenty of people recover from non-severe tinnitus. I just wanted to read a success story on here that wasn't recovery from severe tinnitus.

I would describe my tinnitus as moderate and am not trying to diminish the suffering those of you with severe tinnitus are going through.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I know what you meant :) I was just trying to repeat so we don't forget to put everything that happens in this petri dish into the proper perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      OK, no worries.

18. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Do you know what caused yours? Do you have hearing loss?

19. Nancy ferzoco

Nancy ferzoco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 1 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna second vaccination
      My T started dat after moderna #2 vax. It’s been a month now. Constant. Flonase twice a day for week didn’t help.

20. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hopefully, it will resolve.

21. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My tinnitus was/is non-severe and I'm 100% habituated. Some days it's not even there, and the days my tinnitus is there, it doesn't bother me the slightest bit to be honest.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      I’m confident that the less severe your tinnitus is, the better your chances of recovery are. In fact, I can’t think of a single ailment for which “it’s better to have a severe case” because it’s easier to recover from than a moderate case.

As another take, imagine it were easier to recover from severe tinnitus than from moderate tinnitus. If this were the case, people with moderate tinnitus would be purposely trying to re-injure their ears, in order to make their tinnitus more severe, so that they can then recover more easily. Obviously no one would ever do this.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fully agree. As I said earlier, my tinnitus causes me to think illogically, I think due to the effect it is having on only sleep (or lack of). As previously mentioned, I just wanted to read a success story that more closely resembled my own level of tinnitus.

24. bmxer883

bmxer883 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took a hearing test and they said it looked really good. They noticed that one frequency I didn’t hear quite as well as others but that shouldn’t be anything to worry about.

I’m unsure exactly what caused it. First time I ever noticed ringing was 7 months ago when I was sick with COVID-19 but it would ring for 30 seconds and go away. Then a month after COVID-19, the ringing started one day and kept getting worse, peaking at 5 months. From thereon out, it started to get better every day.

I work in a loud environment and have to wear hearing protection. I wasn’t exposed to anything more than normal noises. My ENT thought it was caused by the work noises though. Only other thing I could think of was I had seen a chiropractor for the first time and it was that week the ringing started. Unsure if that had anything to do with it.

I still have ringing 24/7 but after going through the high peak noise I had, this level of tinnitus doesn’t bother me anymore.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glad to here it's getting better. Mine took a downward turn in the beginning of March. Frustrating as almost 4 months in and no progress, but I know it's still very early days as far as noise induced tinnitus is concerned.

26. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Looking back, mine was probably a 6-7 but because I was such a mess mentally, it made it seem like a 9-10.

Now, I barely notice it unless I'm in a very quiet room and besides wearing earplugs in night clubs, my life is pretty much back to normal. Sometimes it bothers me but I realise it's because I'm focusing on it, or I have a cold coming.

5 or 6 years ago I thought my life is over, now I've been travelling to many countries and experienced many things. I hope this helps someone know that it can get better.

I realized so much of it was in my mind as in my attitude towards it. Sheltering gave me hyperacusis which was the worst thing I could have done looking back, although everyone is different and has unique reactions.

• Like Like x 7
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long did it take before your tinnitus started reducing in volume?

28. Joe Beck
      Sad

Joe Beck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 1st 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      How has your hearing progressed since then? I'm unsure what had exactly caused my tinnitus, but I'm suspecting the second Moderna shot as a factor. Mine started out with three days of loud ringing then fluctuated from day to day and has been nearly constantly loud the past few days, except for a few times when I lay down to go to sleep or when I wake up even though it's a quieter space.