Has Ear Wax Removal Helped Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulmanlike, Nov 6, 2018.

?

Has Ear Wax Removal Helped Your Tinnitus?

1. Yes, it temporarily helped my tinnitus

2. Yes, it permanently helped my tinnitus

3. No, it temporarily worsened my tinnitus

4. No, it permanently worsened my tinnitus

5. It neither helped nor worsened my tinnitus

6. I have never had ear wax removed

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So basically a nurse looked in my ears and said it was full of wax. She couldn’t even see my ear drum.

I’ve got a new head noise that’s like a Ssssshhhhhhh on top of my habituated normal tinnitus in my left ear.

My question is, has anybody experienced this before with compacted ear wax?

I’ve also had 2 colds in the last couple of months. I have a stuffy clogged nose that I have recovered from but still have the ssshhhh noise in head.

Is that normal after a cold? Could it be I’ve got mucuous in my eustachian tubes that gives me the sshhh noise?

Has ear wax removal helped with head noise?

I’m not expecting my usual tinnitus to go away, I've had it for years, but this ssshh going or quietening down would be a relief.

2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      "Yes, it temporarily helped my tinnitus."

Manual ear wax removal, both ears, impacted next to eardrum. Left was so bad I couldn't hear out of it. I was too afraid to have this done so I kept putting it off. Intense vertigo made me pull the plug.

Afterwards, my tinnitus was the quietest it had ever been. This lasted until I had my next random loud noise event then it went back up to my previous baseline. However, my tinnitus is responsive to noise and I theorize time spent with less noise makes my tinnitus quieter. My tinnitus does not work like a lot of people's.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It’s bizarre. I’m sure this new head noise has not come from any noise trauma, I don’t work around loud sounds and never go to clubs.

Pretty sure it’s to do with either the wax or my sinuses.

I hope it goes away. Took me ages to accept my left ear tinnitus as permanent.

I can achieve residual inhibition by playing 13 kHz with this new head noise.

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Tinnitus is definitely worse with a blocked ear. About 18 months ago my ear got totally blocked and i could barely hear. Doctor comfirmed a wax blockage. I used sodium bicarb drops for about 10 days and it cleared it.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Ear wax removal helps tremendously with my tinnitus. Two times it got so bad I did not know what to do if removal of the wax would not improve it. Luckily, it did.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just a question @Dana and @Sam Bridge, did the wax blockage cause an additional sssshhhh noise inside your head and not your ears? That’s what mine is like.

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Paulmanlike,
      I think so yes, either way tinnitus was definitely worse as you would expect.

8. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      I get my ears cleaned manually a couple of times a year. It helped the wax from getting impacted as well as quiets down my T a bit. However, it does mean that there is a little less ear wax in there to help create a bit of a buffer for loud noises haha.

Overall, if you have impacted wax then I would say get it cleaned out MANUALLY. You'll get different opinions on this, but my ENT says how she doesn't use the suction on me because my ears are more sensitive - which I always appreciate :)

9. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I never had tinnitus until an ENT removed my ear wax with suction... Worst thing I ever did!!! The procedure was so loud it caused an acoustic trauma. Now I have hearing loss, chronic tinnitus and hyperacusis. Ruined my life. Microsuction has risks!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Booked in for next week woke up with a blocked ear again.

Lots of head noise on top of usual left ear tinnitus.

What’s strange is I plug my ears and the head noise diminishes/harder to locate/notice

11. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      @Paulmanlike, did you have the wax removal? Any improvements?