Have I Screwed Up? Pink Noise Came on Way Louder Than Supposed

Discussion in 'Support' started by bill 112, Mar 21, 2016.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      In need of some reassurance here guys,I am currently going through dreadful H and began doing the trt protocol as recommended by a lot of helpful folks here.About a week ago I was listening to my pink noise through my headphones when it suddenly stopped,as I tried to get it back on it suddenly came on way louder than I expected,I'm talking fairly loud here and I don't know why it did.I experienced no sudden pain or crazy sudden T spikes but I'm way back at square one again :( I asked members of my family to listen to it and tell me what they think,they said it was quite loud,not overly but enough to be uncomfortable or annoying.Im just worried I've damaged my hearing,this has really got my mind twisting around in circles.Any opinions and help much appreciated.

2. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      first off...dont worry , chances are that worrying will do more damage then a short loud burst :)

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @bill 112 . Hi. A short loud burst isn't going to do you any harm. But you worrying about it will seem to make it worse. I'm always getting loud bursts of noise as I work in a garage. It's the long exposure to noise that is worse in the long term. So stop worrying ok.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks guys just really struggling with this bull :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      that's why I avoid headphones..very dangerous

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It's what I was told to do :( As part of the self administered TRT programme because no where here offers it,just listening to it when it jumped up to high volume for no reason,just worried I've done more damage now :(

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It really Depends how you got you t : if it's noise damage I would not touch headphones anymore , and wear ear protection at all times outside to avoid any setback that sudden loud noise or just enough long exposure to regular 70db + noise can give you .
      Damaged hair cells don't have the ability to protect themselves like healthy cells so the normal DB safety scale does not apply to acoustic trauma people unfortunately

Hard to make t disappear but very easy to make it worse

8. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm interested in learning more about this as I fear I am in the situation where the "normal" rules don't apply anymore. Can you point me to some information?

9. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think most of us learned the rule the hard way including myslef - the places or docs that make money with TRT will say otherwise but we don't have any scientifical evidence that 85db + applied to damaged hair cells will have the same effects than healthy cells.

There is tons of reports here of people with noise induced damage who got further irreversible damage following the type of exposure which would never have affected someone with perfect ears.

The issue is that many still want to treat noise related T as a kind mental problem that can go away if you stop thinking about it - which it can to some degree - but at the same time you never can stop thinking or at least planning about how not make it worse ...so there's there is a fine line here

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I completely agree. I was hoping you had some scientific evidence you could point me to.

11. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I looked and haven't found any but again no scientific evidence that proves either way

This being said , it's not hard to suspect that damaged cells can be easily further damaged since they cannot regenerate

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Anyone here experienced this before but I'm stopping the pink noise therapy because of these strange things that happened.After my pink noise came on suddenly I didn't experience any new symptoms so I restarted my therapy again at very low volume.When I stopped wearing them I noticed a temporary threshold shift where things sounded different.I went to bed and I could hear little electrical zips in my ear which was then followed by a massive brain zap.Had a hearing test done immediately including OAEs etc and my hearing came back absolutely perfect upto 10,000hz.

13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      perfect up to 10khz !

I really envy you

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Haha thanks Bobby to be honest I was shocked at the results myself,passed all tests with flying colours,OAEs were perfect my audiogram was perfect upto 10,000hz,speech recognition was perfect too which is weird considering I believe I struggle to hear in busy environments but I guess I was wrong :)
      There was a slight dip at 4000hz of I believe 10db but the audiologist had said that there was people banging doors outside during this time and to get a dip of 5-10db with noise outside is remarkable.Still doesn't fix my ear problems though:(

15. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Good point from Bobby, and one that doesn't get much airtime. A Simple analogy could be seen in the fracture,where the bone remodels itself to a level that we can mostly describe it as healed for practical purposes, but calling it 'healed' is a judgment we make and many who have a fracture find later that things are never quite as they were before because the bone doesn't just simply replicate what it once was, and often strength and endurance becomes compromised because of the manner in which this healing occurs. Certainly for older people the risk of re-break is very real. The same can be said for any injured body system or organ. There is presently no objective way of knowing where one's hearing thresholds have gone but trial and error (Clinical testing doesn't correlate well with the real world experience). Well intended reassurance is nice, but it's not proof of anything. Sounds to me Bill like you are still in the testing phase of what you can and can't tolerate. If its an obvious issue for you, deal with any anxiety on an equal footing with the actual hearing issues. The two have a nasty symbiotic relationship and love traveling together.
      Were you wrong? (real world vs. lab.?) Be kind of interesting to see how you went with a hearing aid trial in such an environment.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I was made do a hearing test with background noise and such,I passed every single one with flying colours,but in my opinion in the real world I believe I struggle to make out words in busier environments,not bad but something I've noticed from time to time.