Head Hissing Tinnitus Potentially Somatic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ashley Ann, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Ashley Ann

So I am going to put this here. And say "take a look at my recent post" - that I am about to put up (Forgot My Glasses etc).

I have a baseline general hiss which I can handle - very low. And another one on the left mostly that is 4/5 on the Fleegle Scale (if you are following my story).

I have TMJ, bruxism, underbite, maxillar/facial soreness, and general "whacked in the head with a large fish" type headaches . Tested for hearing loss and was not convinced I have hearing loss because on a good day I don't, but every time I have an appointment for an exam, guess what I have stupid T that makes the exam irrelevant. Of course I can't hear anything at that frequency, because that is the frequency of the hissing!

2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Ashley Ann

I have the same type of tinnitus as you. I have a whine in my left ear and a head hiss that is hard to put a location to.

When my ear tinnitus is loud, the head hiss appears low and vice versa. It varies between the two, not everyday but every other week one appears louder than the other.

Have you ever thought the head hiss maybe anxiety related? According to one website, 'head hissing' is a symptom of anxiety that may persist for minutes, hours, days, weeks or indefinitely.

3. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Paulmanlike

How are you doing these days? I experience the same. For me, hissing sound in head seems triggered by stress/anxiety + neck/jaw issues.

If hissing is low I feel way better, even though the regular tinnitus may seem louder.

4. donotringatme

donotringatme Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, TMD, CI
      https://www.tinnitusresearch.net/im...2006/Bjorne-Treatment_of_Somatic_Tinnitus.pdf

There are plenty of similar articles online all agreeing.

Looks like the “cure” for somatic tinnitus is a complete skeletal and muscles fix from the tips of your toes to the top of your skull. For one to fix his upper body, he needs to fix his lower body first. Add to it a complete, synergistic fix for the jaw, separated in two parts: muscles and teeth. So, any jaw muscle imbalances can be contributing to an improper bite, which itself contributes to further muscle imbalance. I actually think that the jaw is probably the root cause for most somatic tinnitus but since it is greatly affected by the rest of the body, a single fix of the jaw may be a step forward but may not be enough or permanent.

As far as nerves go, I don’t think one can get somatic tinnitus from say, the trigeminal nerve, without intense pain. Nerves do not work like that, they don’t slowly build up in discomfort, they instantly bring out a lot of discomfort and pain.

So, somatic tinnitus is anatomical IMO, so it must be treated as such. A problem I read about this is that it can frequently cause ETD, which is linked to ear damage if left untreated/dysfunctional for a long time. Anything I have come across regarding TMD/TMJ, is also linked to ETD.

So, it’s TMD/TMJ fix -> ETD fix -> ear survives, but for TMD/TMJ fix one must simultaneously fix his entire body, top to bottom, while all this can lead to stress accumulation and stress works backwards for this, leads to stiffness, poor sleep and so on.

On one hand you may say it’s too much but on the other hand, failing to attend to these matters is almost certain to make tinnitus worse in the future, somatic as it may be.

Just my 2 cents.

Attached Files:

5. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I’ve had static / hissy / electrical sound tinnitus for 18 years now. In recent years it has become worse and I think part of the cause is muscular and then just the ageing process I guess.

I have the good fortune to live in Australia (our COVID-19 infection rates are considerably low here compared to the northern hemisphere) so I’m game enough to head into an audiology clinic for the first time in years to see where I’m at.

I’ve noticed when I open my mouth really wide my static sound is louder.