Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Louise, Oct 23, 2012.

1. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      'Completely faded away - Unexplained' and 'Completely disappeared with no apparent reason.' Where do I sign up? :-(

Did any of them mention the nature of their t or rate it out of 10 of what it was?

2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Thank-you for posting this, @DaveFromChicago. :huganimation:

Today, in particular, I really needed to hear some positivity. I cope as best as I can with my tinnitus and most days I feel as though I am in control and can get through the day. This morning I woke up to a much higher pitch than normal and I felt a dread come over me. The pitch has returned to base line, thankfully. Not sure what caused it, yet we all know there is not point trying to figure it out, tinnitus plays by it's own rules.

3. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Pertej: I was unfortunately not in a position to interview them in depth.

The audiologist who set me up with Desyncra said that she had also heard of various instances among patients where this had in fact disappeared on its own.

I have fantasies about some day arriving at the "M" (Magic Day) wherein I will discover that mine is actually completely gone for good. I have had this fantasy every day for about 1,925 consecutive days (or 5 years and 3 plus months).

What concerns me is that lately I have this recurrent dream where I am in a German Concentration Camp in a striped uniform and am gesticulating desperately to my relatives and friends beyond the barbed wire fence that they immediately secure my release. The more I impress upon them the necessity of doing this the more they stare at me dumbfounded with total incomprehension.

This dream's symbolism regarding the distancing, entrapping, brutally sequestering nature of this condition is all to gallingly obvious.

4. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      Sounds interesting, but I am doubtful that hearing aids will help me as I have total hearing loss in my right ear leaving me with intense hyperacusis induced Tinnitus. I'm hoping that my brain will just figure it out eventually and realize that nobody's home on my right side. BTW, it was sudden hearing loss without known cause.

5. Matt BRFC

Matt BRFC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I already have a hearing aid to help with not only loss of hearing in my left ear but to help with my tinnitus.

I have been looking on eBay at buying a digital rechargeable one, nothing expensive, as it's rechargeable it will be easier than trying to get batteries.

Does anyone know anything about these as I don't want to waste my money if they are no good?

Thank you.

6. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Hearing aids help, but you have to keep using them. Sometimes taking them out, sometimes playing white noise, sometimes turning them down or up. It takes time, but your mind will eventually ruminate less and less on Tinnitus. It’s a one step forward two steps back process. Severe SSD in right ear with bad word discrimination. The sound sucks from the aid but you get used to it, quality hearing aids programmed correctly is all you can do or get a CI to suppress the tinnitus and hope for the best. At least until the new stuff comes out that’s all you can do.

7. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Do hearing aids work with reactive tinnitus?

8. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      It seems to help me, mine goes up and down at different times all day, when it’s loud enough to take over half my brain I put the noise generator on until it goes down about 2 hours. I use them till they are too much then I just pull the cone out for awhile. I do this hoping as long as sound is getting in things stay active in case a cure comes around. That’s my theory anyways.

9. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      It's no so strange in mild and moderate cases . The brain eventually adapts to the hearing loss and the tinnitus improves or fade away. The problem is that the ringing comes back easily (and usually worse) when you expose your ears to a new trauma. I think there is only one second chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Alfredo17
      Batty

Alfredo17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 yr
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have hearing aids with a tinnitus masking functionality. I paid $4.000 for them and they do not help me at all.

11. JohnAdams
      Murderous

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      They should rename tinnitus, hearing AIDS.

• Creative Creative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Only a guess, but probably hearing loss.
      I live in the US & have severe tinnitus with bilateral hearing loss. I’m leaving my old ENT & audiologist & changing out my 5 year old tinnitus hearing aids.

My new ENT recommended I see a new audiologist to consult for Widex BiCros hearing aids. These are made specifically for people with tinnitus that also have one ear with much less hearing than the other. The sound “jumps” from the worse ear to the better ear & that’s the ear you “hear” from. The maskers use colored sounds and ocean sounds. It sounds a bit unusual & I have an appointment to see the audiologist next week.

Was wondering if anyone wears these & what their experience has been.

13. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Same with me. I have high frequency hearing loss at 4-8 kHz and was thinking that hearing aids would help. They do nothing for me except for make the situation worse.

14. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I know of one person who uses the Widex with Ocean sounds, and she says it helps. As we know everyone is different. I want to try them but the cost is too high right now.

15. Alan52

Alan52 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi.

I’ve got tinnitus which I’ve had for 15 years. Just recently my tinnitus has got worse.

I was just wondering has anyone tried a hearing aid that can play white noise or music etc?

This may cost me £3200. Has anyone tried this therapy?

And has it helped you? Would be great to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks,
      Alan

16. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Bump... Do hearing aids help with reactive tinnitus?