Hearing Protection and Tinnitus: Keep The Tiny Hair Cells Safe — Discuss!

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      If you know how to properly fit foam ear plugs.. The blue heroes foam 33 db ones are great for concerts/gigs or loud events. They really bring the noise down.

2. I currently buy the bulk foam earplugs at Walmart and find that many of them just plain suck. I know how to properly insert them, however depsite trying over and over, find they are not expanding and giving me proper protection. Guess you get what you pay for but otherwise I would be spending an incredible amount per month since I only use new ones each time.

So would getting musician ear plugs be the best for me? ( I don't know much about them) I need good protection for times when I go out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Hey great @jimH thanks!

5. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Just a question.
      Have some people over here and they talk loud and laugh loud so I just put in my plugs.
      But they were still a little wet from cleaning this afternoon. When putting them in my ears
      I hear the sound of bubbling and crackling water in my ear. Could this sound make any damage in my ears because the sound was in my ear and not outside my ear?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Nope. Don't worry about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. WearProtection

WearProtection Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I work in a v loud environment. Wearing earplugs drives me crazy. So I got some in-ear headphones with 39db nrr. They are called Shure Se215 (used by singers). They have been a life saver for me, protection without listening to my ringing.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    8. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Started A Week After A Cold
      When I wear earplugs I hear my T at full blast, hence won't this effect the habitation process of hearing your T very loud and monitoring it whilst wearing the ear plugs?

9. Anthony C

Anthony C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      I have a general question about sound. Where I live right now there are a lot of outdoor concerts. The music travels far distances especially the bass. I put in ear plugs but the shock waves of the bass can still be felt. Is this bass shock wave even reaching the ear and is it dangerous? Is the treble part of sound more of the problem? Is what I'm experiencing sound or vibration and is that as damaging or harmless?

10. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      Sound is vibration of air. If you are far enough from the source it is harmless. As a rule of thumb, if the sound is drowning out normal level conversation, then consider it a potential hazard to hearing.

11. Anthony C

Anthony C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      Thanks Mark,
      I need to get some pro earplugs.
      A

12. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I need recommendations for a good pair of earplugs. I am currently using foam ones but I find them so annoying since they keep falling off. I use earplugs since they help drown the twitching from my middle ear spasms. When I press the foam earplug into my ear and hold it I can't hear or feel the twitching but once I let go the earplug becomes loose and eventually comes out. So I guess I'm looking for the best earplug that resembles a finger since putting my finger in my ear stops the twitching.

13. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Chelles,

I have the same issue. The foam one makes the sound louder but my finger stops it somehow. Can it be neck or jaw?
      I even taped my whole ear and tried a headset that covers the ear really tight, but the finger in the ear works pretty good.

14. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I wish they sold fake fingers to stick in your ears lol the only other way that sometimes works is when I put the foam earplug in and I shove it in my ear and lay on that side that's the only way I can get some sleep on the nights when my ears are twitching

15. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I am sorry Chelles, when you say twitching, do they just move or do you hear that sound like the microphone?

16. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Both I hear sound and I physically feel the twitch. How about you?

17. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Hear sound. Feel something almost like a thump or whirr or vibration.
      What is your sound exactly? I am trying to establish the cause for us. If it is myoclonus I believe it's from neck or jaw possibly for you, enlarged thyroid pulling on the scm area.
      Mine also sounds like different bass tones. Low ones.

18. Chelles
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      The way the doctor explained it was the muscles contract and I think the tiny bone hits the ear drum and makes a thump sound. The muscles can contract for many different reasons I think mine is jaw related but I'm not sure. Today it has been twitching on and off all day ugh.

19. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Downbeats NRR 18 db are good but they are not that easy to pull OUT from your ear, but still good as they conceal easily.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A3Z44RM/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1424829169&sr=1&keywords=ear+plugs

Sonic Defender 28 db are excellent for sporting, louder events but easier for other people to notice these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3I35HY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hate putting any of these on since getting T, because all I hear is T. But I put them on when im in a noisy event.

20. RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      So I have read a lot of things regarding tinnitus and ear plugs, but I wanted to get some input from everyone.

What's the best type of earplug?
      How long should you wear them?
      When should you wear them? When shouldn't you?
      Should you even wear them in the first place?

21. Kevin08
      Balanced

Kevin08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Hi Richard,
      I'll take a stab at the 3rd question. Wear them any time that you would have worn them prior to having t. Wear them when using power tools, loud concerts etc., but also include one notch down such as the gym, loud trips in the 68 Mustang etc., places that would have been okay prior to t but might have caused a bit of fuzzy hearing for a while after. I always keep a pair of 32db plugs in my pocket just incase a situation comes up in which I will be assaulted with 85 plus db noise. The other day I was on a walk in my neighborhood when I came across a crew working a tree chipper. Those plugs saved my bacon. Most doctors don't understand this and will tell you to tough it out. That could lead to a lot of added stress which is not good for t. On the other hand, don't over protect or you could develop h. I over protected my worst t ear in the beginning and developed really bad h in that ear as a result. It 3 months of retraining to be rid of the dreaded h. I will be following this thread as I'm considering an ear plug upgrade but an not sure if the $300 ear molds are worth the money.

22. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      If you want to hear things well and have a comfortable fit they very much are worth the money .

23. Rings-a-Bell

Rings-a-Bell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      Anyone seen these new earplugs on kickstarter yet?

24. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      What is that price?? I must need glasses................

25. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      That's what's been raised on kickstarted so far, not the price of the earplugs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      £48 GBP or £24 GBP + Shipping depending on the model.

27. Tbird

Tbird Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think regular loud music at the gym
      Hi everyone. I started with really loud tinnitus in my right ear about a month ago. I've always had sensitive ears and tend to put cotton wool in when going to noisy pubs. I think however this might be caused by the constant loud music in my gym classes. I go 2-3 times a week. I have complained to the gym, but heard nothing back yet.
      My concern is I have a lot of Christmas dos coming up, where the music will be unbearable. I also dont want to stop going to the gym and I don't want to stop going out, but what does everyone recommend to protect their ears and stop from getting worse?

28. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Only thing you can do is use ear plugs.

I have used these in the gym and they work well. Same with restaurants etc

Cuts the noise but you can hear conversation.

If anyone asks you can always say they are the new Bose in ear headphones lol

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200933202935

29. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Ditch the "cotton wool" and get some decent ear plugs. Also, stop going out to "noisy pubs". Sure, every once in a while is okay (with ear protection) but believe me, when you're older you won't regret not going to those places. I know, I know, you feel it's important to socialize and that's what people your age do -- they go to noisy pubs (clubs). I get that so I can't fault you for wanting to continue doing what is only natural. But trust me, twenty years from now you will realize that you didn't miss out on much by not hitting the noisy pubs back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hello,

I am looking for noise protection earplugs that look like MP3 earphones. I have classic earplugs but I want a pair with cords so that I can remove/put them quickly and easily when I'm wandering outside. And I find that the classic protection plugs with cords look strange.

Does that exist and does anybody have a model/brand to recommand?