Hearing Protection and Tinnitus: Keep The Tiny Hair Cells Safe — Discuss!

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Mar 5, 2011.

1. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I'm thinking of changing jobs because of the fire alarm we have at the office. It went off a couple of times and each time I think it left me worse off. It's a shame because I really like this job, but what can you do.

2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Good question. If it was me, I would wear plugs. I now wear plugs when I am drying my own hair at home, and it has helped get my day off to a better start. I tested the dryer with my decibel meter... that thing puts out more than 100 dbs and I am holding it right next to my head.

And thanks, SteveH. I have custom plugs that I carry with me everywhere. But I also want something on a string so I can pop them in when something happens suddenly, so I don't have to dig my custom plugs out of their case

4. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Depends how noisy it gets? But I would always ask my hairstylist to let me put in my ear plugs before using the hair dryer. It can
      get pretty loud blowing so near to the ears esp
      with H.
      @LeQuack Would it be possible to look at preventive measures rather than leaving a job u like? I would imagine the latter would make u feel more trapped by T?

5. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I've been wearing noise isolating headphones just for this reason for the latter part of last year, but they seemed to make my tinnitus worse and my ears very sensitive to sounds, so I'm not sure that's been a good solution for me.

6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      get them online dear that's the easiest. I got peltor optime 3 ear defenders for around 25 $ and they are really good :D

7. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Never bought anything online but i guess I have to start doing it now:D

8. SarahR

SarahR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I'd also say earplugs like the ER-20s would be useful for fire alarms. I have a set ready in my drawer at work and if I have pockets in what I'm wearing I keep a set there too.

As for hairdryers, I always use plugs and for the noise of a hairdryer I have found foam plugs the best. Without plugs my 'buzz' is much louder for the rest of the day, with musicians plugs it's slightly worse and foam plugs seem to make no change. I prefer musicians earplugs (like the ER-20s) for everything else!

9. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I might go to this convention in April to meet a few of the stars from The Walking Dead and I have heard it is pretty loud there. So what type of ear plugs would you reccomend? I never really wear them because I am not in loud environments a lot and I really don't like putting them in my ears. What do you think are the best and most comfortable for this?

10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Custom musicians plugs are the most comfortable, I think. And the interchangeable filters allow you to have something of a conversation while wearing them. But they are very expensive and cheaper ones will work, too.

On the other hand, if you have tinnitus, why not make the investment? Plugs are one of the most important tools in making a good life for yourself with tinnitus. You deserve the best.

Search this site and you will find plenty of info about good choices and brands.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok I will look into them but I don't know if I will get the expensive ones because I don't go to a lot of loud places.

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I wouldn't go. The bass frequencies will get you. Is it worth it? Have you ever experienced "Mega Tinnitus?" That's what I call it. I had it twice. Twice I exposed myself to loud music while wearing super sealing earplugs. For a few days after it was scary as hell. Voices were distorted like going through a fuzz pedal. The frequency of my tinnitus came WAY down, it was like a horn blaring in my head, a super loud mid range sound. I'm SO lucky today to have a constant squeal/hiss and no hearing loss. Remember, the damage to your tinnae is permanent. It cannot be repaired. If someone handed me a BILLION dollars and said, "Here take this money and the Mega Tinnitus." I'd say No way.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well I wouldn't be going to the actually show, I would just go to the signings and photo ops. I was more worried about the noise of people talking then anything.

14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      That's good, Logan. I often wear plugs or cotton in a crowd of chatter and yelling. That's exactly what you have to do. Do your best and protect what you've got. Good luck.

15. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, i was using the little tree type ear plugs for a while, but only just found out I wasn't wearing them properly! Yesterday I got my custom made earplugs and was surprised how much more amplified my tinnitus was, this is because they are fitted properly, they block out sound properly.

I was just pushing the plugs in (reusable ones) and that was it, tinnitus barely amplified, comfortable, all good. I just found the instructions on inserting them properly, you have to pull the top of your ear to open up the ear canal more, I did this and they did go in further and created a seal, reduced noise around me considerably, no longer comfortable and tinnitus a lot louder.

So going back to the custom plugs, because they fit the way they should it makes my tinnitus a lot louder wearing them which is annoying, so I'm a little disappointed, making me doubt I could use them for noisy work environments for hours a day. The only way I could use them for hours would be in a club, loud enough to mask my T while wearing the plugs.

16. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think you should definitely wear them. They dont really make it louder, they only make it seem louder. Also, if you work in a noisy environment the noise will mask the tinnitus a little bit anyway. If you dont wear them, you are risking with your t getting permanently louder.

17. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi stina, I brought them so I could get any job that might be a noisy environment, knowing now they block a lot of sound making my T seem louder, I don't think I could work in a job that required me to wear ear plugs.

The only noise that would mask my T wearing them would be very loud music, in a club etc.

I don't think many people with tinnitus would work in jobs where you need to wear plugs alll day, too much amplification.

18. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Can anyone advise me on ear plugs. My daughter has started going to see bands, I can't stop her but she is conducive to wearing earplugs, she's always been a bit of a worrier so I think she really would wear them not just say so to appease me. I'm going to get some for myself too but I don't tend to go out to gigs nowadays anyway.

What sort of thing should I be looking for -do you get what you pay for or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks

19. teacherman
      Buzzed

teacherman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/27/2013
      Etymotic Research ER20--for live music you want a plug that will lower the volume so that you can still enjoy...ER20 plugs do just that...check out their website and reviews. Inexpensive as well.

20. emmy2405
      Snaphappy

emmy2405 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic/Audio Damage

I just bought these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0034ZI9AQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing blockage yet you can still hear the music around you. They erase the awful tinny feedback that will make your ears hurt and hearing deteriorate.

Emmy

21. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    22. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Supposed to be average 20dB. I've got a pair and they seem to do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
    23. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Thanks Steve. I bought another pair the erasers I believe they're called and it turned out to only be like 5db. Not quite as advertised.

24. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's pretty poor. There's also earpeace, they've got an extra noise filter and I don't think they've got a plastic end like the er20's. We're hoping to get some donated for our campaign perks.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I just ordered the earasers 19 db ones... How are they not what they say they are.. Can they lie about that? These were 50 dollars :-/

26. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      They only have 19db at certain frequencies. Fromm 20000hz to 6300 hz they pretty good. On average it's about 5db reduction and. It provides more reduction at highrt frq which is good. I want something that 20+ in all frequencies. They still decent though.

27. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Confusing. So if something is 90 db like music at a bar will this cut out 19 db?

28. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Only if it's at certain frq. So from 2000 it's 15db. 3150 it's 19 4000 -17 63000 - 15 8000-11db reduction. So it depends on what frequency the noise is different freq different db reduction. They claim to have good reduction at levels that are dangerous though. Which I don't know much about.

29. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your best bet is to find a plug that show you their noise chart. Pick something that performs well around all the frequencies, find reviews too so you know they are comfortable for long term use.

• Informative Informative x 1
    30. Sameer advani
      Buzzed

Sameer advani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      I
      put in the foam ear plugs and then seal the ear with silicon ear plugs