Hello—New Here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by elizabethab, Nov 10, 2015.

1. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      You assume too much Eric, why this attitude?

2. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      Last comment here, for people who believe in their body's ability to heal itself, follow my thread. For others keep doing what u are doing.

3. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      I have disdain for pseudo science. If you are on this site supporting people, helping them get through a very difficult time, offering them advice on things that worked for you, then fine. I do the same. But there's a difference between offering people evidentiary methods which help people habituate to T, versus anecdotes. I, for example, tell people to talk to their physicians, and consider methods like CBT and TRT. I offer this advice without reservation, or qualification, because not only did these methods help me, but there is statistically valid evidence that they work for other people. (unfortunately it's not possible to run a real 'gold standard' randomized, placebo test for either of these two methods for obvious reasons. But they are, nevertheless, methods that are recommended by professionals in the fields of medicine and psychology as having efficacy). There are other times where I'll offer things that I have done personally that helped me. (like how to mask at night to sleep) None of these things will cost any money, and I doubt any of my advice will hurt anyone, but all the same, these things are ONLY my opinion. What you are suggesting people do (a ketogentic diet, or newer, your personal nutritional program) not only do not have any evidence to support their efficacy (outside of the fact that you're feeling better, which I'm glad you are), but they could (at least in my thinking about it for even a second) both cost money (should you try and sell this method to desperate people) and/or be dangerous, to undertake a diet without consulting a medical professional. The woman here both told us that she was taking a low dose of Xanax for anxiety, and had dropped 20 lbs off of an already thin frame. Your advice (with from what I guess to be zero medical background) is to stop taking the Xanax, and follow your nutritional program. So, to make this very long answer short, most of my attitude comes from you either giving away 'magic beans', or selling 'magic beans', as it is yet unclear which you are doing. The rest of my attitude comes from you handing out medical advice ('drop the Xanax') for which you have no education or professional experience to do so. Your second post is better. You are right. If people are struggling with T for a long time and it's not getting better, they should go different routes and try different methods to overcome tinnitus. But they should discuss these methods with MDs, PhDs, audiologists, etc.

4. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      I agree with u eric. We are all trying to help each other. Keep up the good work bro.

5. brotherdday

brotherdday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/12/2015
      @eric peterson and @joseph Ghass you both have offered a lot of advice, encouragement and hope especially to newbies , including me, who come here in a panic. Just wanted to let you both know that I appreciate it.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      elizabethab
      Blah

elizabethab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Well today started off good- then it got bad at work and I took some backward steps. ***SIGH***. I am trying to acknowledge the feeling like mad- like a mantra almost. I guess that is how it goes- forward, then backward. Day by day.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Elizabeth, setback like that is the nature of the T beast. It is unpredictable and can be morphing with symptoms. Whenever it does a new spin, it tends to cause quite a bit of nervous reactions, and anxiety and stress once again push us back, and frustrate our effort to move forward.

It is important to take the tinnitus habituation journey as a process, and that setbacks are just part of the package. That way, you are mentally prepared for the inevitability of setbacks. Think of the moms and dads out there watching their toddlers learning to walk. Each fall can cause the kid to cry. But parents know that falls are inevitable to kid learning to walk. As long as the fall doesn't cause injury and we don't react badly to their falls, we know the kids will be alright and that eventually they will master stable walking steps. On the other hand, the more negative we react to each fall, the more the kids can associate the falls with danger and so they tend to react with fear and cry aloud when falling.

So if we think the kid is our brain learning to habituate to T, and each setback is like a fall, then it is much easier to take the setback without strong negative emotion. In fact IWLM's method is basically that, teaching the brain to react more calmly when hearing the sound then freaking out with the loudness of T. The more we can keep calm or positive to each setback, the more the brain will learn to accept these setbacks as part of the process towards habituation so it won't freak out each time the setback occurs. It can only get better as time goes by as the brain will learn to harden to the sound.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      elizabethab
      Blah

elizabethab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Not doing so hot today. Full blown panic attack- which of course, made the T worse. I am just so tired....all day today trying to will it away- it takes my energy until I have nothing left. Sorry guys- had a rough time today. Sometimes I wish for my old self back- and that makes it worse too- life was pretty perfect for me a month ago.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. ryand
      Artistic

ryand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe Dec 2015 - the buzz was low prior
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diet or TMJ Jaw Inflammation and Clenching??
      @elizabethab I'm in raleigh Nc , got T about same time as you, I also have younger kids and family stuff to manage and enjoy. Let me know if you ever want to chat locally.
      Generally, using the advice from this web site to move on with my life. I have 24/7 T that gets worse at 9pm but just enjoy the calmer times. I love staying busy. I love my job. My family and I have since been on several successful vacations, 2 concerts (high end ear plugs) ,and 2 Broadway musicals. I work out and eat healthy. Recent ENT hearing tests say my hearing is returning and starting Hyponisis CDs this week. I also made my own Neuro Mod tone app after discovering my frequency, I put that on and listen on loop for distraction even while talking to people. Whatever makes me feel better I do. Feel free to contact me. Praying for peace for all.