hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by latestnight, Oct 9, 2013.

1. latestnight
      Crappy

latestnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2010
      Hello,

I found this wonderful forum a month or two ago, and I finally got around to making an account. It is exciting reading about some of the new research into therapies and cures for tinnitus.

I have a constant ringing that is only masked if I am truly distracted by physical work or if I am out and about. Even then sometimes, however, I can still hear my ringing above other noises. It is worst when I am sitting in my room trying to study or do other quiet work. I am certain that my tinnitus is the result of overexposure to loud noise. When I was younger I absolutely did not take care of my hearing, and now I am paying the price. Way too loud of music, and so on. Oh well. If only I knew then what I know now. I am 26 years old now, and first started noticing intermittent ringing when I was maybe 22 or so. I actually can't remember very well when my tinnitus got worse, as it has been a while.

About that studying: just a few weeks ago I started nursing school. It is my goal to be a registered nurse in just a couple years. My tinnitus and mild hearing loss are significant stressors in my life, and I consider them an obstacle to overcome as I study to become a nurse. My biggest worry is that my tinnitus or hearing loss will get in the way of any assessment of a patient. I purchased a very nice stethoscope to aid me with any auscultation, and I can hear very well with it I think. Until my ears are trained though, I am not sure if I am hearing everything that I should be hearing. Other than that, I volunteer every week in my local hospital, and have no issues with patient or family communication.

Anyways, that is me in a nutshell, and I hope that we all hear some great news regarding therapies or cures in the near future. I look forward to this community being a good outlet and source of information. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    2. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Welcome! I am also new here. I can identify so well with your sentiments! Sounds like you have a positive attitude, which is essential in coping with T.

I can't help but think that one day in one of these forums someone will post something about a breakthrough or something that may lead to a breakthrough. As difficult as it is to cope with this constant ringing, I have to remember that there are so many people out there that are dealing with so much worse than I.
      Sincerely,
      David

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      latestnight
      Crappy

latestnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2010
      Thanks for the welcome. I agree with what you said about other people being in the same situation or worse.

4. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Welcome to the forum latest. Best wishes.