Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Louis.m, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Louis.m
      Asleep

Louis.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud headphones and industrial machinery.
      In my quest for answers I stumbled upon this site and decided to sign up, I'm 18 and blasting music though my headphones was typical of me, at first I never noticed but over time my headphones began to slowly break in regard to one side's volume becoming softer than the others, it was at a rate too slow to realise and because of it the hearing in my left ear is not nearly as good as that of my right ear, my right ear is very sensitive in comparison.

After starting a new job about 4 weeks ago I have been exposed to a great deal of ear piercing noise by not one but two industrial "scrubbers" that filter the air inside two tunnels, (it's like a jet engine at a high idle) I am situated about 100 meters away from them at the enterence and I coordinate the trucks that come in and out of the site (80-100 a day, each stopping right infront of me for up to 30 seconds (twice each), because of where I am located and what I must do most of the noise finds it's way into my more sensitive right ear which has now developed this most annoying and concerning high pitched.. Screeching? Like a fire alarm off in the distance, the only times I don't hear it are when there is a decent amount of background noise, I am subject to this for 12 hours Monday to Saturday, for the first week or so I wore no ear protection but after reading of the possible consequences I began using the ear buds they provided and now I wear ear buds and headphones stuffed with cotton wool but I still find the sound of the machinery to be uncomfortable, painful and outright unbearable at times, the ringing seems to get a tiny bit worse and worse each day.

The pay is very good and my parents insist it is no big deal and that I should continue, but I fear this ringing will get worse or if it has a possibility of going away, staying for the next 2-3 months until the job is over will leave me stuck with it for sure, I'm not sure what to do at this point, I'd really like to leave but I would have any source of income if I did, what do you recommend?

2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      A couple months pay is not worth a lifetime of health problems. I would seriously consider leaving if you believe this is going to make your T worse. You are dealing with a real health concern here. Would anyone be critical if you could not do a job due to another disability? No.

• Agree Agree x 2