Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tom68, Mar 5, 2014.

1. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Just thought I'd introduce myself. 45 year old. Started getting a high pitched noise in my ears a little over a week ago, initially mornings on waking up but this has become pretty much continuous. It has been keeping me awake and pretty much dominating my life - according to my doctor there is nothing can be done - it seems like a nightmare. I lost my youngest brother to cancer a couple of weeks ago and had a serious head injury ( knocked out and lost about an hour's memory) last November - maybe one or both of these has caused it.

Today I pretty much broke down in front of my doctor and she gave me anti depressants. Not sure there is much more to say, that's me. I've never been great at coping.

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I am no pro- only 3 months in and I still ask for advice here a lot. Something's I have learned are key. 1/Sleep- do what you need to do if you are not. 2. Give the AD's sometime- I have been on them 20 years, you need to give them time at least a month- don't give up on them.Do things are normal as you can, it is hard at first but the busier you stay it helps. 4. It could go away-don't give up hope 5. have you had your hearing checked ?I just got hearing aids for moderate hearing loss and they seem to help.6. ask for advice on this forum, the people on here are awesome. One day at a time man

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi, Tom...
      I'm not too good at coping either, but over the last 4 months I've gotten better at it. I was a mess at first but it does get easier to bear. I have bad days and good days. Staying busy helps, or use white noise (like trickling water) to help mask the T. One day at a time is my motto as well. And there's always the hope that it will go away. This helps me when I can't stand it anymore:

http://freewhitenoise.com/

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi Tom,
      sorry for your loss, in my opinion it's really possible that high stress can be cause of T (when I had onset I was through a very stressful period). @kevin b gave you good advices.
      I can understand it can be like a nightmare, it was the same for me during the first weeks, but T can go away.
      Anyway it's not true there's nothing to do. B-vitamins, supplements (magnesium potassium) can help. I'd give a try to a prednisone course, it worked for me reducing the level of T.

5. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      I too was going through a stressful time, and I think after listening to a lot of people, and reading some post along with some T studies, I think stress can influence T in starting, but it needs a catalyst, like ear infection and so on....

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Tom - :welcomesignanimation: Glad you found us here on TT!!! This forum is such a fantastic resource for those of us with T!! You will find wonderful support, information and treatment/therapy ideas here. :)

As you will most likely hear from many others, T is at it's most vicious early on after onset. our brains freak out and don't know how to deal with this "sound" in our head/ears. It views T as a threat and a danger, therefore we become anxious (sometimes severely) and depressed. But we can and do learn to live with it. I hated when doctors and others told me that early on, but it is in fact true.

Different things work for different people when it comes to coping with T. Try all sorts of different things until you find what works for you. Early on it sometimes requires meds to stabilize you and help to get sleep (SO important). Then once stabilized, there are numerous sound therapies to try, exercise can help, supplements, all sorts of things to try to help you cope with T!! Many you can read about right here on TT!!

I know it's so hard, but try to stay positive!! You are going to get better and get through!!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Everyone has there own T journey..... and we all must take it on our own, but you can get help from friends and family, and us... so take it one day at a time and try to move on.... at first it will be the only thing you can think of, over time it seems to fade..... or you attention to it drops off, mine is like a fly buzzing around my ear... so I give it little attention... sleep with a fan.. it helps....:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Hey Tom
      Sorry for what you are going through; my T hit last year (Feb 13). I, too, was under extraordinary stress at the time (I'm sure that had something to do with it).
      T will dominate your life in the beginning; it takes all your focus, puts your brain in fight or flight mode (whether you like it or not), and increases your stress/anxiety. As hard as it sounds, try to relax. I know, impossible! That's how I felt when mine hit -- I could not bring myself to relax. Be patient with yourself; you need to learn what your body/mind are going through so you can 'cut yourself some slack'.
      I, too, thought that I was to blame for lack of coping. Not true. This has nothing to do with your character or how tough you are (or think you are). Invasive T puts your brain in fight or flight mode; I was in the military for 20+ years and I can honestly say that our most hardened soldiers are only good for about a week of straight combat (fight/flight mode). After that, they are a shell of what they once were (until recovery). You are being pressed into fight/flight; after four weeks of T I had 2 x nervous breakdowns (and I'm not a nervous guy).
      Understanding what is going on will help you get out of it. The key to stepping out is to work at accepting it. NOT accepting its permanence (it may very well not be permanent); just accepting its presence (for now). That is a very hard thing to do -- because it's making you angry/frustrated/tormented/et al. The more you can accept it (for now) the more you will get out of adrenaline fight/flight mode (take away its fuel). Just work at it a little bit each day; let your mind wonder to other things.

Prayers! (I remember my first T days too; trust me, it gets better)

Mark

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Thanks. I don't know what to say really. Today was better than yesterday, not looking forwards to going to bed though!

On a positive side I did propose to my other half and she said yes - I've been meaning to for ages so not just brought on by this - we've been together 27 years anyway so probably about time.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Tom,

Congratulations on your engagement! That is wonderful news!

Have you confided in your fiancée about your tinnitus, and does she understand what it is? Having someone who understands can make your tinnitus so much easier to bear.

Most of us who have had tinnitus for awhile have found that it gets better with time. We still have good days and bad days, but overall, things are not as severe as they were at the beginning. If you can find ways to distract yourself, it will help you, and in time, you'll find that you can kind of tune it out for awhile. Do you have any sort of sound generator or background noise you can play at night when trying to sleep? Anything that will partially mask the sound will help, such as a fan turned on low.

I wish you a calm and quiet evening tonight!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      CONGRATS Tom!! Cheers!! (and yeah, about time!! ;))

• Like Like x 1
    12. Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Wow! I really like reading this, Mark! This is so inspiring. I am so glad to have discovered this forum today.

13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Tom
      Congrats!! That's a positive in your life. I hope your spouse understands T; however, don't be alarmed if they don't, T is very odd and is usually only understood by other T sufferers (only adding to your anxiety and isolation). But we understand :). Lot of good folks on this site (keep coming back).

I don't know how you feel about Ibuprofen PM (for sleep) but for quite some time it was my best friend at night (I was literally petrified of going to bed; and I'm an avid sleeper :sleep:, likely the one thing I at which I truly accel). It got me over the hump/slump; however, I just quit taking it about six weeks ago -- don't even need it anymore. Why? Cuz eventually your T gets better and you get better at coping with it. Hang in! You're in the toughest time right now; it gets better from here on out (T is very livable/manageable -- yet, always a bit odd)

Prayers!

Mark

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Well I woke up this morning and the high pitched ringing had completely gone, vanished.....for about 2 minutes !

Blimey what a life eh, I can see how you get used to it enough to live with it but I can't see it ever being a non issue, it's those quiet moments when you just want to relax that have gone. I feel so tired, been getting as much sleep as ever going to bed early to compensate for waking up early.

Still it turns out my father in law (or f-i-l to be) has had it for 20 years, says at first it drove him mad but now he lives with it and quite often it disappears for days at a time - not just that he isn't focusing on it but actually oes away.

15. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I envy people who can mask their tinnitus, when I could mask mine I was doing 90% better.

16. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      What starts yours T 9 years ago?

17. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I wish I knew.

18. Sorry for the loss of your brother. Everyone has made great suggestions. I am relatively new, but with Hyperacusis dominating the T misery lol..anyways, congrats on your engagement! :) Those quiet moments are golden, perhaps your T will go away! :) Mine fluctuates as well.

• Like Like x 1