Hello :-)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kittyk88, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kittyk88

kittyk88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/08
      Hello my name is Catherine I am new here but have been dealing with this for awhile. I had a question as well
      Has anyone experienced deep ear pain with tinnitus? I have tinnitus in my left ear only. about 5 years ago I was cleaning out my left ear with a q-tip and it went way too deep, i heard a pop and felt it too it really hurt I started hearing a wooshing sound but I only noticed every once in awhile well over the years I use to listen to loud music with headphones. I kept the headphone on my left ear and take it off the right after a while the noise in my ear started getting worse so I stop listening to headphones it helped for a while but then the noise came back and it's more frequent and loud I wanted to know if anyone experiences light pain with tinnitus? Every once in awhile I'll feel light discomfort in my inner ear. Is this normal? I was also wondering if there is anything otc or home remedies that would help? I know there's no cure but the noise drives me crazy and I dont really have insurance. The only thing that seems to help is listening to music or watching TV to sort of drown out the noise it use to always work but not so much anymore I'm starting to hear it even over the TV sometimes. Thanks

2. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Hello Catherine, have you seen an ENT yet? You may have perforated your eardrum, have it checked out, or go to any urgent care or ER.

Peter

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kittyk88

kittyk88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/08
      i just now made an appointment for a ent but its not til march 10th :( idk if i can deal with this for that long.. i have had this for years its gotten worse and i cant stand it! im trying to apply for insurance i hope i get approved and if i do its before march 10th.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Kitty, Are you in the UK? Here in the U.S., we have urgent care clinics that we can go to immediately, with or without insurance (although it costs a lot more without!). Hope you're able to get in to see that ENT soon. I agree with Petloy that it might be a perforated eardrum; you should have it checked out. In the meantime, please be very careful with that ear, and don't put anything in it! Best of luck, and keep us posted on what you find out.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kittyk88

kittyk88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/08
      yes i am in the Us, hospitals are way to expensive i cant afford the bill. like i said thiat happened 5 yeard ago and i also listened to loud music alot after that for years on headphones and it seemed to make it alot worse. i stopped listening to headphones about a year ago and it seemed to help but then it started acting up and got worse. Its to the point i cant stand it its hard for me to fall asleep. i cant even sit in peace and quiet because the whoosing sound bothers me so much i cant stand it. im feeling pressure in that ear and light pain since yesterday idk whats causing that.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kittyk88

kittyk88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/08
      i think i have an ear infection in that ear and no insurance idk what to do.

7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Kitty --- The light pain could be caused by the ear infection, and I certainly sympathize with you about the whooshing. I have that, too! It could be that the pressure and light pain will subside when the ear infection subsides. I hope you're able to get to a doctor soon, so they can check it out and tell you if your eardrum is OK. I'm sure an infection could make it worse, and the pressure would seem worse, too.

What Petloy was suggesting was going to one of the immediate care clinics, not the emergency room of the hospital. I've been to an immediate care facility near me, and the doctors are very good. If things don't improve, you could try one of those. Also --- in my area, I know they have some sort of county-run free clinic, but I don't know much about it. You could see if there is a facility like that in your area.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kittyk88

kittyk88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/08
      can i get otc ear drops to use or will it make my tinnitus worse?

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You could try some; I don't think it will make the tinnitus any worse. But --- don't fall for any of those "ringing in the ear" ear drops that some drugs stores and health food stores sell. I tried some Ring Stop ear drops, and they didn't make the tinnitus any worse, but they DID end up giving me an ear infection!

10. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Catherine, I don't think it's a good idea right now to put drops in your ear until you are sure it is not perforated.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kittyk88

kittyk88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/08
      what do you think i should do to help it then? or should i just leave it alone?

12. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Are you taking drops for your Tinnitus? Because if you do...there are no OTC ear drops that will cure or even alleviate the ringing. If you're looking for drops to help with your ear pain or discomfort...don't self medicate for now, get to an ER or any urgent care facility which caters to both insured and non-insured...you might have ear infection.

Regarding loudness, I have followed the "Faucet test" as almost everyone must have done...turn the faucet on and see if you can hear your T if you can't then you can mask your T, Try to stay calm (I know easier said than done huh) but yes, anxiety and stress contribute a lot to loudness perception, I too can hear my T over the TV or driving.

One thing I learned that if I go from a room with noise and to a quiet place my T seemed loud, don't be in a very quiet place without ambient noise around, any background noise may help you focus on that sound instead of your T. A friend suggested chamomile tea before going to bed and for now just to get you by take some melatonin for sleep.

I hope you get to see a doctor soon. I'm hoping and wishing you feel better.

Peter

• Like Like x 1