Help, I Can't Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emanuel Lourenco, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have had tinnitus for more than a year now... It has become worse with time, right now I'm trying to sleep and I can't... it is so loud all I want to do is cry... I am so sad and I don't know what to do... All seems lost...

I can't even sleep anymore.

What can I do to make this better?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. raybaudi

raybaudi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Stress-Related or TMJ
      Can you go out for a walk? A brisk walk? Something where you could only focus on walking and doing nothing more.

Sometimes that helps me cool down when on a rush of anxiety

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I am not even that anxious as I used to, I can control that better now since I have this for quite a while now but it just makes me so angry why has it become so loud I have been a lot more careful this year, and I don't see any improvement just the opposite, christ... How can I keep going... All i would wish is for this to go away I don't want anything else anymore....

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. raybaudi

raybaudi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Stress-Related or TMJ
      Look, don't mind Tinnitus as something chronic. Actually, it should be more likely for Tinnitus to go away at some point than to stay. Only 5%-10% of the population has a chronic case so odds are in our favor. Just hang in there a little more and you will heal.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I would try the pink nose. I use a CD player that runs gentle rain about 10 feet from my bed. Play the CD at a lower level. Feather touch if available for your back.

8. smel

smel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1994
      @Kolisar Do you use any kind of noise masker at night? They can make a huge difference. I can't sleep without one. It took a few nights to get used to the noise maker but now I rely on them and normally sleep very well despite loud T. I use an app on my phone that allows me to combine various noises, and after some fiddling around I found a combination that works for me. Something like fans or air cleaners don't work for me.

Getting a good night of sleep probably won't get rid of your T but it can help a lot with the stress. You CAN cope with this. It just takes figuring how to do that, and each person has different coping mechanisms. The key is finding what works for you, and the wonderful people here are very helpful with that.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      During the acute stage of my T, I found that amitriptyline helped me sleep. It is non-addictive and it didn't make me feel drowsy the next day.

If you haven't been protecting your ears from moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner, blender, lawn mower, etc., it might be a good idea to begin doing that.

• Like Like x 2
    10. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.
      To help sleeping, you can try these two approaches:
      a) masking:
      1) Mask at bed time if having trouble sleeping, by using a sound pillow or sound machine with pillow speakers. There are good sound machine & pillow therapy systems like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Oasis-...d-Oasis-Therapy-System-Speakers/dp/B00MH5HKTA

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds. Use wisdom in the use of headphones or earbuds as extended use or excessive volume may hurt your ears. Try set the volume slightly below that of your tinnitus.

3) With PC & speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds to see which one masks best:

TT's excellent audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or click play to mix these sounds with this simple sound generator: http://asoftmurmur.com/

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

b) medication or natural herbal supplements:
      You can try doctor's prescribed sleeping pills, such as Remeron, or natural alternatives such as Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

• Like Like x 2
    11. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      There has to be a reason behind your worsening. I still haven't figure out mine. What have you done so far with treatments. I also have read this spontaneous recovery paper and the two years mark but i also cannot be vey optimistic since it worsens then lessens. Sleep is essential. If you address your sleep you will see improvements.

12. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      @Kolisar for the article that Bill found read please Aaron's quote. It's significant.

13. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      You need to find a masking sound that suits u. Also i would recommend taking sleeping pills so u can get some sleep which reduces teh stress and anxiety and then u will be able to sleep without it.

14. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You, basically, have two options: You can let it bother you, be miserable, withdraw from life, and live in hopelessness; Or, you can try to remain positive, hold on to hope, and not let tinnitus destroy you. Neither letting it bother you or feeling hopeful will cure your tinnitus. Being miserable can make it worse.

I have stated before in other posts that I, personally, do not think my tinnitus will every be cured or even get better. After 51 years with it, I think that is a pretty safe assumption. But, I still hold on to hope (as best as I can) because the alternative is not good, especially since I have previously attempted to take my own life.

I cannot tell you with any certainty that you will get better, or that your tinnitus will not get worse (mine was stable for over 45 years, then it got much worse, bringing me to this forum). What I can say with 100% certainty is that worrying about it, and dwelling on the negative aspects of tinnitus will not make it better, and will only make you miserable, make your life, and the lives of those around you and who care about you much harder.

It is not easy trying to hold on to hope, this is why support groups like this forum exist. We all know that some of our members will never find relief, we hope that they will, but we are realistic and know that, statistically, some of us will be stuck with this infernal ringing until our last breath (or in my case, probably about 30 minutes afterwards ;) ) .

This is difficult for all of us, that is why we help each other out, when one of us is having a particularly bad day, those of use who are not doing too badly at that time try to help those who are having trouble.

So, I do not know how you can have hope, I don't know how I do, you just make it happen and when it becomes difficult you turn to places like this where there are caring, sympathetic, compassionate people who understand what you are going through and are willing to help pick you up when you falter.

I am very sorry that you are feeling hopeless, and I truly wish I could help you.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You are correct, and thank you for pointing that out. I would not want to post false or misleading information.

That being said, I still believe that there is hope; in @Bill Bauer 's response directly below the post you quoted, he states the following:

And, the conclusions section of the paper states:
      • Two-thirds of tinnitus disappears during the first year after AAT (I, 68%) (III, 71%), but later the resolution of tinnitus is less likely; two-thirds (65%) of the cases not resolving during military service become permanent (III). After AAT induced by firearm exposure, one-fifth (19%) of tinnitus cases become permanent (III). Ten per cent of AAT-induced tinnitus is severe (III).

I am certainly not a doctor, so if someone with some medical or scientific training would like to weigh in, the original study can be found here. https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/27440/investig.pdf?sequence=1

Again, @vermillion , thank you for pointing that out. I will attempt to better understand the paper myself and look for comments here so that I do not, accidentally, post misleading information in the future should the conclusions in the paper turn out to be misleading.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Kolisar
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for the advise. I was able use a sound machine before my recent volume increase in my tinnitus, and you are correct in that it did help and was the only reason I was able to sleep. Now I am unable to mask, even with volumes that border on potentially damaging by themselves. At this point I get at the very most four hours of sleep per night, and that is usually interrupted sleep.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If you read some of the success stories, you will find that some people may take months but others take years to get better. Your T is still relatively new. Why rush yourself? I think these success stories will help you understand that there is hope out there if you just hang in there and try to live your life regardless of T. Try to treat T, even worsening T (for the time being) as your new normal. Try to mask it if it gets too irritable. These stories are with people who have bad T for some time but are doing ok now.
      1) T gets better after 40 years of suffering by IWLM. This is the most read success story using 1 simple method called 'Back to Silence' method:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-
      silence.7172/

2) Paul Tobey, once a feature speaker on ATA and my first mentor gets better after 4 years of suffering:
      http://www.ata.org/sites/default/files/my_choice_concert_pianist_personal_story_tobey_june_06.pdf

3) David Letterman and William Shatner said on this 1996 video that their T were worsening, and yet 20+ years later they are still doing fine as Letterman only retired about 3 years ago and Shatner still in movie acting:
      David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

18. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Increased noise exposure isn't as high on the list as some of the following for increased tinnitus and/or with an increased high pitch. If the reasons on this list are corrected then tinnitus will most often start to decrease.
      A collection of reasons from different sites.

Placing pressure on teeth when sleeping. Solution is a thin medium hard professional molded mouth guard or at least a good self made one. The mouth guard shouldn't be too thick.

Using more than one pillow may not be best. Sleeping with neck not supported. These two reasons often lead to placing pressure on teeth. A twisted or unsupported neck while sleeping could also increase T on it's own.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      "Over time, I learned through
      trial and error that I could control the
      loudness of my tinnitus by eliminating
      wheat, milk, caffeine, salt, and other
      foods from my diet, and by eating high-
      protein foods and green vegetables."

Fascinating!

20. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Ughhhhh... sooo damn depressing!!! :cry:

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The studies listed in
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/
      provide evidence against your statements above. Could you please provide links to studies that support your statements?

If you search for "tinnitus" on scholar.google.com, you will find many studies. Most of those studies cite studies that had estimated the prevalence of tinnitus at something like 1-10% of the population (I don't remember the exact numbers, but it is certainly far larger than 0.0003%). If you have a study that got published in a peer-reviewed journal citing the figure of 0.0003%, please provide us with a link.

As for "not habituable" - see the countless testimonies on this cite (as well as many studies that you can easily find) that give evidence that most people habituate. If you have a link to a study that reports that nobody habituates, please share this link with us.

• Like Like x 1
    22. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Don't believe that. Habituation is common. Read the success stories. Also, read the post from above.

23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Don't worry, he's objectively wrong.

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do the authors of the studies have an incentive to lie? Keep in mind that those studies had been published in peer-reviewed journals. The referees have an incentive to point out to the editor that the study is based on a lie.
      Just because someone might want to lie about his or her own experiences to give hope to others does not imply that Nobody is habituating. It also doesn't imply that Everyone who said they had habituated is lying.
      If you go to
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/members/ and scroll down to "newest members", you will be able to see how often people are registering for this site (when your mouse pointer is over someone's name, you see when they registered). There is one registration every couple of hours. It is depressing.

As for only a small fraction of new members posting, there is no reason to think that this sample is biased in any way. For example, it is not the case that people who habituate are more likely to make a post (compared to people who don't habituate).

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Assessing the prevalence of tinnitus does need some work, but a 0.0003% figure is delusional.

You do understand that would mean there's fewer than 1,000 tinnitus sufferers in the US?

Also, Equalizer, when you say:
      "the reality is that it does not improve over time, it is not common (only it suffers approximately 0.0003% of the population) and is not habituable."

You have an interesting reality, which seems to go against common sense and current knowledge of tinnitus. It can improve over time. It won't always get quieter, but habituation is not a myth and it continues to happen to many. It's also part of the reason why tinnitus is not that big of a thing on the internet because so many tend to be able to live with it and have no reason to seek support for it.

Another observation: can I ask what is your purpose to being on here? This is a support forum, why would you come to another person's thread, where they are looking for advice and encouragement, to spread your negativity and misinformation? That's the antithesis of support.

Maybe being on here for extensive periods of time doesn't help your own well-being?

Have you tried other venues of support, for example face-to-face counseling? Or do you assume such couldn't benefit you?

• Agree Agree x 6
    26. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

It gets better. Lack of sleep is a common problem, one that also affected me. Anything that helps you relax is good. Massage helps, exercise is great. For a while there I would also turn off my phone and stay offline at least an hour before going to sleep. I took Clonazepam for a while, maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a few months.

I would recommend that you try those behavioral changes and see if it affects your sleeping pattern. If it doesn't work, look for professional help.

Best,
      Zug

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi, I used to have a sleep schedule when my T appeared and it helped me a great deal, but now i can't even do that anymore because falling asleep is always so hard i cant keep a routine... I do have clonazepamum but I only use it when im at my absolute worse because I am afraid this is gona make my T worse...
      Thank you for your tips

28. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Maybe he uses the reverse psychology technique. He wants eagerly to hear the opposite from us so he might feel better. But he surely needs professional help. His posts are very discouraging.

• Like Like x 1
    29. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Emanuel as far as i know clonazepam isn't ototoxic. In fact due to it's anti epileptic action, reduces temporary the symptoms for many patients. It unloads temporary the stress. @Michael Leigh also use this drug when his t goes BAM. I don't think its a bad idea using it once in a while. Benzos are vicious when you use them systematically due to tolerance build up and withdrawal symptoms. Have you consulted your doctor? You should opt for relaxing teqniques such us yoga, meditation, breathing exercises. I'll go for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah I got clonazepadum from the doctor so i could sleep, and it actually helps me a lot, I was just afraid it could make my T worse... But I think I will use them once in a while because I am destroyed at the moment... Hope I get better
      And thanks again for all the tips

• Hug Hug x 1