Here Is How I Solved My Tinnitus — New Protocols and Supplements To Try

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by engineerLA, Oct 18, 2014.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Kaelon: If you have gastric issues, you should also address the underlying cause not just the symptoms. Probably you need to quit ingesting caffeine, or very acidic and spicy food. You should probably also reduce starch intake since that turns to sugar and promotes yeast and other bacteria.

Note also that taking Pepcid causes more acid production in the long-run. Omeprazole is a better solution.

You should also get tested for h. pylori bacteria. And regardless you might try this very good supplement for reducing gastric issues caused by bacteria: H-PLR http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009T7BER8/?tag=tinntalk-20

2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      That's interesting that the dr saw inflammation on the ct scan. My ent told me they can only see the bone to basically rule out otosclerosis which is basically bone overgrowth in inner/middle ear.

3. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Rube Yes, what they found were spots of inflammation on the eardrum--here's what they said specifically: "scattered areas of mild soft tissue thickening within the epitympanum and adjacent to the oval window and round window niche. Findings may be related to chronic inflammatory changes." They called it "soft tissue thickening" which they interpreted as inflammation. No erosion of any of the ear bones which they said was a good thing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Thanks, @engineerLA. I don't disagree. However, I'd really like to address the Tinnitus as soon as possible given how debilitating and discouraging it can be. If gastric issues are to blame here, I'm all for addressing them (and the T did start after I began taking Pepcid, mysteriously enough, so perhaps discontinuing Pepcid will help?), but I need to figure out how I can quickly -- or as quickly as possible -- address the T.

Another discovery: tilting my head in one direction silences (almost completely - to about 10%) the T in the ear closest to the ground, while amplifying the volume of the T in the ear pointing upward. Again, more evidence suggesting that this is a eustachian tube issue. How likely is it that I have some sort of liquid stuck in there that is aggravating all of this? And is it really possible that it can be responsible for this T for the past 7 days?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Kaelon, it sounds like eustachian tube issues to me. First see an ENT and make sure it's ok. If the ENT sees an infection you need to treat that with antibiotics and possibly a course of prednisone first, before doing the water or norepinephrine methods in the thread above -- because if you have an infection in there, adding any other liquid could make it worse. I would suggest a course of antibiotics and prednisone for 10 days under supervision of an ENT. If that clears it up you may be home free. If it improves the situation but there is still T after that, then you should try what I suggest above.

6. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Am I too late to join this conversation??? I am new to the forum... 3 years with T. "I" think is allergy/eustachian tube related but I can be wrong. EngineerLA are you still around to answer some questions??? I'd appreciate some help. Thanx

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yeah I'm around feel free to ask..

Update: It's now 5 days since I tried the norepinephrine technique. Still 100% reduction in T. Keeping fingers crossed.

• Winner Winner x 2
    8. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Thanks @engineerLA. Really encouraging about the norepinephrine technique question. I bought myself some saline solution and both a neti pot and a squirt bottle (the two delivery methods). Am I right in saying that you prefer the squirt bottle method to using gravity to deliver the goods through the sinuses? I'm planning on asking my ENT next Tuesday when I meet with her (for the first time).

Update on my case:

I went to the hospital today in connection with my epigastric distress (and what I was worried might be some cardiac signs -- I had a tachycardia ablated over 4 years ago, and the sensations in my upper-GI tract were very similar -- fortunately, does not appear to be cardiac), and I was diagnosed with mild (Stage 2) hypovolemia. The hematologist with whom I met reviewed my case and feels that severe dehydration combined with sinus pressures are likely responsible for my sudden T onset. I was given 2 liters of sodium chloride solution intravenously, and then started a regimen of drinking electrolyte-filled drinks (Gatorade, Powerade) to replenish my supplies.

On the drive home from the hospital a few hours from the intravenous hydration, I noticed the T in my left side had completely resolved. That T eventually returned later in the day, but at a much lower volume. The T on my right side subsided a bit, but then came back roaring and I felt a certain fullness within my ears - as if there's fluid or congestion (even though my ears are clear, according to the doctor). Seems likely that there's a eustachian tube issue at play.

Questions: I know very little about Eustachian tubes and how they are cleared, treated, or managed. Aside from the water + norepinephrine method, do you have any thoughts or experiences with ENTs on dealing with Eustachian Tubes? Is there something reasonable that I can ask my ENT about these? I'm convinced now more than ever that there is a path towards resolving this T. I've had several episodes (around 3-4) throughout the day where the T in my right ear suddenly dims and vanishes, and then returns a few seconds later. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I have to believe that this - combined with everything else I've seen - suggests Eustachian complications that might be resolvable. I'm just wondering if there's a chance these might resolve on their own.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ENTs basically can identify eustachian tube dysfunction, but they don't seem to know what to do about it. They are totally not familiar with my unorthodox water / norepinephrine method and probably would warn you that it could cause a middle ear infection. Nonetheless it works and so far I haven't had an infection.

A typical ENT suggestion would be to try a 10 day course of prednisone and zithromax to see if that helps. I would suggest you ask your ENT if you can try that. That could reduce inflammation and any latent infection. If that helps then for sure it is eustachian tube inflammation.

The water/norepinephrine techniques seem to work very well for me. I do prefer using a sinus irrigator (better than a neti pot) for salt water, and a squeeze bottle for norepinephrine.

You might also want to try taking a benadryl at night before you sleep. It reduces inflammation as well (but will make you very sleepy, so only use when ready to sleep for a good 6+ hours).

I have so far found that prednisone + zithromax worked very well, but after I stopped the T came back a week or two later.

The water technique on its own reduces eustachian tube T immediately but the T comes back a day or two later. It doesn't seem to be a solution on it's own.

The water method & norepinephrine method (only 2 days in a row) + benadryl at night every night for at least a few days + Agar 35 at night for a few months ideally + 1 shot in each nostril of Dymista spray at night and in morning every day + 1 Allegra in the AM every day seems to have resolved my T 100% and so far there has been no relapse in 5 days. It's gone! And this regimen seems to be preventing a relapse so far.

Note also: last week, while I still had T, I went and got an MRI / MRA of the head and neck just to be safe. Nothing showed up. Everything was normal. My ENT said they really cannot see inside the eustachian tube with this exam however. But at least there was nothing else wrong that was visible.

Next step for me: I'm going to go to an allergist and see if taking a series of allergy shots will reduce my inflammatory response so I can take less medicine to keep it from flaring up and causing T.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      the ENT will look up your nose with a camera and their audiologist will give you a hearing test with tympanometry or tympanograph test (not sure exactly what it's called) which will give the ENT a good idea if you have eustachian tube issues. The ENT may also prescribe fluticasone which is nasal steroid and you can milk that into the tube similar to what engineerLA does with the nasal spray.

11. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I personally would not use a nasal steroid any other way then it says to use it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Milking the nasal steroid into the eustachian tubes is fine according to my ENT, however you should only use the prescribed amount (usually 1 spray per nostril) -- so you can't really generate a stream of liquid like you can with water or norepinephrine. It probably would be way too high a dose of steroid at one time if you did that. So just spray the steroid mist into your nose (using the proper head position, see my original post at top of this thread for a link about that), and then do the valsalva to get it into the tube after you start to taste it in the back of your throat (the steroid sprays are usually pretty bitter tasting so you will know when it reaches that area).

13. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Here's another question re: Eustachian tube issues (keeping in mind, I haven't yet met with my ENT).

The T in both of my ears seems to take turns; sometimes it is louder in my right ear, often times (most of the time) it is louder in my left. Is this variation inherently Eustachian in nature? And, short of starting to take the drugs that an ENT might prescribe (corticosteroids and antibiotics), is there anything else I can do to try and independently verify that (a) this is definitely a Eustachian tube question; and (b) that the fact that it seems to be easing / alternating ears on Day 10 of my T improve the likelihood that this will ultimately recover?

Thank you!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Assuming there is no underlying neurological or vascular issue (you can do hearing test, MRI/MRA to determine that) then most likely this indicates that indeed the problem is eustachian tube issues. My T alternated in a similar way. It was also at times so severe I really got worried that I couldn't live with it at all. Amazingly it can go away 100% and if I keep inflammation down it stays minimal or completely gone. So there is hope for you, but it depends on the cause and how you treat it.

15. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @Kaelon, having tinnitus alter between ears is definitely not unique to those with ETD. Mine is from noise trauma and the ears still change noises/volume etc. over a year later.

Tinnitus is unpredictable, but you've had it for an incredibly short amount of time and it seems like your tinnitus might be a symptom of another health issue if it changed with medical hydration etc. It seems like you have a decent chance of it resolving.

Don't stress too much yet, but do get to a an ENT and ask them these kinds of questions.

16. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Does your T change pitch if you exert yourself ? Like bending or lifting something. Climbing or even chewing?

17. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Chewing, yes, definitely. In fact, when I clench my teeth, I am able to amplify the T in both of my ears, depending upon how hard I clench. I have long been a teeth-grinder in my sleep at night, and I wonder if TMJ Tinnitus is a factor here. (If so, I understand that this is ultimately curable, much like Eustachian tube inflammatory issues, though it takes some time to calm the auditory nerve.) Does anyone here have any experience with that?

And yes, when I strain myself severely, I notice a slight pitch change along with an amplification change of the T in my left ear (more severe than my right). Why do you ask, @Rube?

18. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I experience those same sensations which is why I ask. I attribute my T to noise exposure and have been told by ent's that I don't have eustachian tube issues. I have t in my right ear and fullness in that same ear as well....as well as a vibration on my right ear drum to louder sounds in a certain frequency. I will try the nasal spray....guess it couldn't hurt at this point.

19. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Have you also tried NAC? I thought I had read somewhere that it helps with ETD?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      A few more questions about Eustachian Tube dysfunction:

• My T is hyper-sensitive to loud sounds; when I hear a loud sound, the T in my ear explodes for a brief moment before settling down. Is this a general characteristic of all T, even if it's Eustachian Tube-derived? @engineerLA, I'm looking at you for your thoughts re: your ETD issues and whether this was true for your T.
      • I definitely have alteration between whether Left or Right T is more severe, and I have noticed that there are moments of absolute quiet in one of the two ears (as if the T has resolved) only for me to detect the T a few seconds later. Is it that I'm becoming more habituated to it, or is it that the T is actually alternating and resolving? Can my ENT determine for sure?

21. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      The ENT will look up ur nose to see if the opening of ur e tubes are inflamed. They should also give you a tympanograph test in ur ear to measure the pressure in ur e tube. That will give them a good idea if you have etd. Of course they will also tell you that they physically can't see the middle of ur tube but the pressure test can reasonably tell them if something is swollen in there.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Update: I saw an allergist today and am going to try Singulair, a prescription allergy medicine, instead of Allegra and instead of Benadryl -- as it is supposedly better. Also I'm going to start a non-steroid nasal spray, instead of Dymista, that is supposedly very good at getting the mist farther back into the nasal passage and therefore the eustachian tube - it is called Qnasal and is also prescription. http://www.qnasl.com/

The allergist also recommended an allergy skin test and then a series of allergy shots to really reduce my allergic response, which is the main problem that is causing my eustachian tube inflammation, which causes my T.

On the subject of my T, it is still almost non-existent, ever since I did the norepinephrine method as described above, but I don't want it to come back, so I'm taking active steps to solve the underlying problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Update: My tinnitus is 100% gone. Even with pretty severe allergies. I ended up doing the following to resolve this.

1. I did all of the suggestions above in this thread.
      2. I got a prescription for a "Zpak" -- zithromax antibiotic and did that to eliminate any low grade middle ear infection that might be present.
      3. I switched from Dymista to QNasal and it does seem to be better.
      4. I switched from Allegra and Benadryl (probably too strong a combo anyway) to Singulair at night before bed, and it is keeping allergies under control.

This has eliminated by eustachian tube T and I don't need to use the water method frequently any more -- I am also not taking the Chinese allergy medicine or other supplements (except when and if need, and so far I haven't needed to. I am still taking the Tibetan medicine and my usual vitamins and things). All of this seems to have worked. The severe T I had since February is gone and is staying gone.

The key is that all of the above has eliminated the cause of the eustachian tube inflammation I was having.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    24. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @engineerLA

How do you know that you had a problem with the E tube? Was it diagnosed?
      The only reason that I ask is that I seem to have a problem with pressure in the affected ear.
      When i pinch my nose and blow, the affected ear only reacts and i get a squealy noise as the pressure changes.
      Is this normal?
      never had it before
      When I suggested a problem with pressure (in french) to the arrogant ENT doc here, he just sort of laughed and was utterly ininterested in talking to at or with me about it. So I left the hospital but still have the same problem months later......wonder if there is aomething with pressure going on here.
      By the way, do you think that the agar 35 will help me - also i am not sleeping more than 4 hours for months
      If yes, do i need the bimalah as well?

glad to hear that you are cured!! great news!! thought i ought to write you before you leave this forum.....as many do once they are ok

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      yes it was diagnosed. What you describe is normal and sounds like eustachian tube inflammation.

26. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @engineerLA Can you clarify how many days in a row you did the Water / Valsalva / Noreph method? Did you have any other pre-existing issues with your eardrum or anything other than the T? How did your T begin? I know that I have Eustachian tube dysfunction and would like to try this but I want to have some comparability to what is going on with me before I do so. I wonder too if yawning would have the same effect as the valsalva method--the kind of opening of the tubes that you can do on airplanes to achieve the same effect when descending (and perhaps a little safer).

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      engineerLA

engineerLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I did the water / valsalva / norepinephrine 2 days in a row in week 1 and 1 day in week 2. However I think it is best to do this in combination with a prescription antibiotic like a Zpak to avoid any risk of getting a middle ear infection. I think I may have had a low grade middle ear infection all along and the Zpak did help.

My T began with a severe allergy outbreak last Feb.

Yawning helps but is not going to solve a chronically inflamed eustachian tube.

28. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      Congratulations @engineerLA. Good to hear about your T. Gives me a lot of hope. Apparently, my chronic sinus issues have caused my T and ETD is related. I'll try your methods and hope for the best. By the way, it's very commendable how you have explained and let us know what all you did to get better. Thank you so much for that :)

29. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      This is great news, @engineerLA! I've ended up having to reschedule my ENT appointment to 12/2, though my T has "good days" and "bad days" at this point (whereas before, in weeks 1 and 2, it was consistently bad). This gives me hope that either I am habituating quickly, or, there really is an inflammatory issue at play with my Eustachian Tubes.

Here's the bottom line about my T:
      • I feel pressure in my ears when the T is ringing (it's a 14,000 kHz whistle).
      • Volume can be changed at will by clenching the jaw, pressing on the outsides of the ears, straining (as if to pass a bowel movement).
      • Loudest at night (and gets louder throughout the day), quietest in the morning.
      • Stress and anxiety definitely make the volume much louder.
      Non-T -- My epigastric issues are starting to be diagnosed, however, and it looks like I have begun to develop circulatory issues, though, so this complicates things:

• I have a minor arrhythmia of the heart (PVCs), and while everyone has pre ventricular contractions, mine have become sporadic and unpredictable, best manifest at night when laying down.
      • I have significant abdominal pain, gas issues, and sensory pangs of cold throughout my body that come-and-go; this is indicative of either a neurological complication or a hydration-related issue. All of these improve with significant hydration therapy.
      • My scans thus far all return no problems: ECG, Brain MRI, Abdominal CT w/Contrast. I've moved forward and just had a Brain MRAngiogram and Chest CT w/Contrast. Next step will be carotid artery investigation, but given my age (I'm only in my 30s), this seems highly unlikely.
      So given what you know of my condition, and how I can manipulate my T and it comes and goes seemingly at "will," do you think I should start attempting some home remedy treatment for my Eustachian Tubes using neti pot saline solutions and the like? Or do I really need to wait until I see the ENT?

30. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Engineer LA

Sorry to ask you but - how can it be normal and yet sound like a e tube inflammation?
      and would you still recommend the tibetan med of agar 35 and bimalah
      thanks