Here Is How I Solved My Tinnitus — New Protocols and Supplements To Try

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by engineerLA, Oct 18, 2014.

1. AmyB

AmyB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/14
      Thank you so so so much!!!! I tried step #7 with warm salt water just about 10 minutes ago. And after a loud squeak and a sharp pain, my PT has stopped! Stopped! At least for now. I have been struggling for almost 9 months, and seen 4 ENTs with no relief except for a few days at the end of a round of antibiotics. After which it came right back. I was beginning to give up. I literally have trouble hearing over my PT..... Maybe this is the beginning of the end of this nightmare. How often do I do the saltwater? Every day? Twice a day? Once again, thank you so much!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      I recommend extreme caution when using this. A severe ear infection left me with bad ETD. The pressure in my ear, which also ran down my neck, was severe. I was so desperate for relief. I first tried manually popping my ears several times a day. The problem is the relief did not last. The I bought the ear popper. I used it faithfully for about a week. The result was disastrous. I only had minor tinnitus prior to using this device; I ended up with major tinnitus. The problem with the ear popper is--in some people--it actually damages your middle ear because it's so full of pressure.

I was not on nasal steroids at the time; however, I tried them later and the steroids actually got rid of my ETD. My advice to anyone with severe ear pressure is to use the nasal steroids first, perhaps for several weeks since they take a while to get into your system. Then, as your pressure starts to subside, try gently popping your ears with the ear popper. But don't go crazy with it. It is more than capable of giving you severe tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
    3. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Engineer LA

Just wanted to add that I have had NO camera up nose nor inspection of tympan what ever it is called......only a hearng test up to 8khz which ent guy said is normal for my age (and i did it in french to recognise words at a whisper but problem is that some of the words i did not know so had to guess at them).
      I have felt the problem is with pressure since it began.
      Sometimes (only sometimes but then i am very careful with what noise i expose my ear to and i live in a practically very silent area with only the far off noise maybe of a tractor and a few birds singing) my ear drum in the only affected ear (right) vibrates when i hear a sound close to me. So far bass sounds of a mans voice close to me makes my eardrum vibrate.
      Few months back I was given prednisolone by a doctor (not my regular doctor). This did indeed reduce the T to practically a whisper. However I was only on it for 2 days and it took effect after 2 days. Then I stopped and it came back. He told me to take it again which i did and it again reduced it. Again i stopped. It came back. I went back on it again and it reduced it again on the 3rd day. On each of these occasions I was on the steroid for only 3 days max. Then he told me to taper it down and it came back.
      How is it possible that if it was noise caused, that the steroid would work so consistently but at 60mg per day taken once a day. And i wasnt particularly exposed to noise. Only lots of stress including emotional and physical fear stress AND moving house.
      I hated taking the steroid as it made me feel physically quite uncomfortable with myself and stopped me sleeping. I did feel better when off the drug.
      ENT absolutely useless here. One ENT told me that I had brain fatigue - what the hell is that?
      So as a child I used to get lots of earaches in this right ear. No problems all my adult life. However, I wonder if it is inflamed. The doctor who game me the steroids (and is a little more knowledgeable and works in a big city of Bordeaux than the country bumpkin doctors around here who cant practice anywhere else) told me that he thinks there is inflammation there. He is just a regular doctor so no ENT but that is why he gave me prednisolone. When the predinisolone worked, he became convinced that inflammation is the reason. Whenever I have had a cold or anything like that in the past, the gland behind my right ear always swelled up and my ear hurt. I was told that this is because of the mulititude of earaches and infections that I had in that ear when I was a kid left the ear vulnerable - so when there was the slightest infection then the gland would swell up to protect any dirt or infection getting into the ear (always the right ear which is the ear which rings).
      Anyhow wonder if you think that any of this points to an inflammatory problem there plus with what i told you about the ear pressure and the squeaky noise when blowing to clear it. I have quoted what i wrote to you earlier below as you may not recall it.
      Plus do you think that I should get the agar 35 and the bimalah?
      If you do think that it sounds suspicously like inflammation, then what can i do about it? What can I say to an ent to get something done to look at it or can i deal with it myself?

Here is what i wrote to you earlier on:
      i really have no one to turn to for medical help or advice round here and cant even get decent non harmful sleeping tablets from the local doctor. Although i explained to her that i was not sleeping more than 4 hours a night, she gave me pills instead that are for anti anxiety and have as a contra effect - yes you guessed it Tinnitus. So i have not taken them.

thanks ever so much for all your help....and your time....greatly appreciated!

4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @engineerLA

Thank you for providing your most excellent protocol for alleviating ETD and perhaps tinnitus. :)

I recall reading a lot about ETD in my early tinnitus days, and I recognize much of the advice you wrote down.

I do, however, suggest caution with the ear popper; it did damage my ear. (So did the valsalva maneuver.) The ear popper needs to be respected because all the negative pressure in your ear--if not released gently--can back up and cause a barotrauma.

• Like Like x 1
    5. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @engineerLA When I try and pop my ears my left one (Bad T ear) just creaks and squeaks and never seems to reach a point of stability no matter how much I blow. Would this be an indicator ...of ...anything :p

6. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      @AmyB , what is PT ?

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      RaZaH: Pulsatile tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    8. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same with me, but opposite ear. We should put our heads together. :LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @engineerLA will answer this better, I'm sure. :)

But to me it sounds like eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD). Perhaps, his protocol would help you. I took nasal steroids (Nasonex) for several months, but mine finally cleared and never was a problem again.

If it's not ETD, you may still have some type of pressure issue in your middle ear. That needs to be treated, probably with nasal steroids. Overtime, pressure in your middle ear can lead to ear damage. You need to see an ENT who will test your ear pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Interesting, just tried this .
      Some water got stuck in there somewhere , had sudden stream of water coming out of my nose half an hour later ?
      My ears hurt a bit at the moment .
      :pompous:

11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Were you irrigating your nose earlier?

12. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, was trying this method #7 . Using a neti pot , my girlfriend has one , never tried this, weird stuff .
      My nose feels awesome ! :p Sure beats any nasal spray.

*edit* My other post is confusing , I did not "just try this" , I did it like half an hour ago or so.

13. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow. The advanced technique! I've successfully used neti pots but have never tried the E-Tube cleaner technique! But I've read about similar techniques elsewhere. :)

Well, practice makes perfect! But be cautious, like engineerLA says below, you could cause an infection if the water is retained too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Inflammation is related to raised cortisol linked to adrenal fatigue

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      My ears are really hurting after doing this, very uncomfortable.

16. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DebinAustraiia

Interesting comment! How do you know this? It is based on something you have read? Would be very interested to read that please.

17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      im at work, but it would be easy to find references in a google search to cortisol and the link to inflammation....i have copper excess due to adrenal exhaustion...my cortisol is off....which promotes inflammation....explains why addressing my adrenal issues has helped my t....

18. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @DebInAustralia

Please may i ask you - how do you cope with work? and this!
      I cant sleep at all. got one hour this last night otherwise was getting 4 hours a night.

19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I deal with t one day at a time.......

I am nearly a year in. At first, I couldn't sleep. Now I don't usually have a problem. I think its because I don't fear the sound anymore.

I don't get many spikes these days either...that makes a huge difference......

Work is OK...there are days like today when I feel bothered by my t, but I can forget my t when busy and absorbed in what I am doing at the time.......

I believe what kept me awake at night wasn't the t. it was my anxiety. when I got a grip on my anxiety I was able to sleep with no problems.

20. Yowzerman
      Creative

Yowzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-2014
      EngineerLA, may I ask if you have any formal medical training?

Thanks,
      Tom.

21. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Deb how did you treat your adrenal fatigue?

22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      yes I work in the medical field...

my adrenal fatigue was diagnosed serial serum cortisols...which was consistent with hair tissue analysis........that not only revealed severe adrenal fatigue, but also severe copper toxicity.

I tried taking some herbs to support the adrenals, but then I started experiencing heart palpitations, and was subsequently diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism. Some of the ingredients were obviously too stimulating and was forced to stop. I have settled the hyperthyroid down with lemon balm, but am still left with the adrenal issue..which is further compounded by heavy metal toxicity.

I have been advised to 'destress', avoid stimulants, and get plenty of sleep.........

Supplements are difficult for me to tolerate due to disturbed liver detox pathways.........so I have to rely on lifestyle changes...........

• Like Like x 1
    23. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @DebInAustralia

I was prescribed something the other day but it needs to be made by the compound pharmacy, will let you know if it helps.

Tinnitus related stress, in my case, has caused a whole lot of health issues, from insulin resistance, obesity to changes in metabolism and digestive problems.

Never had any of those issues before, so it's not just this bloody noise I have to deal with but other problems as well

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      @AmyB, just thought I would chime in to ask how you are doing after trying Step #7. Is your PT still gone?

I'm on my fourth week of T, though I am very convinced it's a Eustachian tube issue due to all of the conversations I've had with @engineerLA and the fact that I seem to be able to control pitch and amplification by moving my jaw, yawning/popping, straining, etc. Today, I actually had tremendous relief in both ears -- because I was fighting off a cold and on antihistamines! -- proving (at least in my mind) that this is all in my Eustachians.

Question: Did you do anything other than Step #7? I have an appt. with a leading ENT in Boston next week and am hesitant to try too much before then, but am desperate for longer-term relief. How exactly did you manage Step #7?

25. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      I just wanted to give everyone an update here. Bottom line -- this absolutely works for ETD issues.

At ~6-7 weeks in, I decided I needed to finally give #7 a try, which I did last night. I used a neti pot with saline water, and tilted me head back to upright position to get water going down into my throat. As that was happening, I yawned to pop my ears (and theoretically get some of that saline water to drip around the Eustachian Tube opening). It was slightly painful, but I didn't notice a squeak or any indication that water had gotten inside. I spit the rest of it out.

I did not notice any immediate relief in my T, and the pain subsided very quickly (within minutes). I took 4 Advil (total of 800 mg), drank a lot of water, and then took a hot steam shower and went to bed.

This morning, I awoke with my Tinnitus much improved. Yesterday, my T was at 8/10 - extremely loud, especially in my left ear where I performed the maneuver. Today, my T is at a 1 or a 2/10 - barely noticeable (but still somewhat there) and I have to strain to find it. I'm still feeling some fullness in both of my ears, but my untreated ear (the right one) is the only one that is actually acting up. For the first time in weeks, I am enjoying some semblance of silence. This is amazing.

@engineerLA, thank you so much. I am going to see an ENT tomorrow, and I am going to make the case for ETD as the cause and ask for antibiotics and prednisone to help with the inflammation and possible infection. @AmyB, how are you doing since you tried this method? Any tips for making it stick? How frequently should I be trying this maneuver again?

• Like Like x 1
    26. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Kaelon that is great to hear. I am sure there is an element of ETD in my case. Especially because when I yawn I feel a "full" pop on the right side and more of a partial pop on the left side (the one more persistently affected by T.) At my onset I couldn't pop the left side at all but it has gradually gotten to the point where the eardrum at least moves and doesn't feel like it is collapsing back like it did before. I had this issue 9 years ago when I had a viral infection on a flight that left my ears feeling full for a few weeks, until one night when I was blowing my nose the last bit of whatever was there came out and my left ear squeaked open. Surely that entire incident took some toll on my auditory system but it is also evidence that ETD is part of the puzzle.

For what it's worth, this is my second "good" day in a row--and today I can only hear my T real clearly if I cover my ears. Last night my left ear sounded like a cricket was camped out there and this morning it is 1 or 2/10. The achiness is actually more pronounced than the T and I cannot "feel" the T like I could before.

27. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      @marqualler - That definitely sounds like ETD to me. You know, @engineerLA was telling me the same thing when I was describing how my T reacted to things like moving my lower jaw, the fullness in the ears, the partial-pops that never actually alleviate the T, and so on. But when I went to see my ENT and she initially diagnosed me with having TMJ, I was discouraged - especially since TMJ becomes a longer and more difficult-to-manage chronic issue. But I didn't waste any time -- I went to a maxillofacial surgeon to confirm the diagnosis, and he threw his hands up in the air and basically said, "You've got some inflammation in your jaw joints, sure, but it's nothing extraordinary, and you definitely don't have the skeletal problems I'd expect to see of TMJ that causes Tinnitus."

That eventually brought me back to the point where I was last night -- ears that were feeling full, Tinnitus that was off-the-charts loud (like I said 8/10), and desperate for some type of serenity. ETD, because it's so poorly understood, generally doesn't have much of a pathology that doctors can diagnose and treat against. They can do some tests involving cameras in your nose and the like to see if the entrance of the Eustachian Tubes are inflamed, but that doesn't really tell you much about whether the Inner Ear is actually infected and causing the Eustachian Tube inflammation.

When you say it's your second "good" day in a row -- does that mean the second day after you tried Step #7? What steps are you taking to try and support your Eustachian Tubes and reduce inflammation? I have to believe that taking 4 Advil (which I just repeated this morning for good measure) combined with the hot steaming shower right before bedtime (when, supposedly, most of the true healing of infections takes place) also helped considerably. I'm just wondering how frequently I should be trying to do this Step #7 thing.

28. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Sorry-I haven't tried Step #7 at all or really started doing anything to reduce inflammation. But I will ask my ENT about any suggestions he might have.

29. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      It's about 10 hours into my day, and the resolution of my left-sided T is definitely sticking. It's a 1/10 or 2/10 at the worst. My untreated ear is still at a 4/10 with a periodic spike. I've taken some more advil, and I'm going to continue working on the inflammation.

I'm going to insist upon antibiotics when I see my ENT tomorrow, and potentially prednisone, to see if this finally knocks this out and solves the Eustachian Tube issues. I wonder how @AmyB and @engineerLA are both doing since trying #7...

30. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      So happy to hear you're feeling a little better Kaelon!

Just wanted to caution with the antibiotics - those can cause nasty tinnitus and inner ear issues, as well as severe gastrointestinal issues. A family member was on pretty run-of-the-mill "mild" anti-biotics and ended up with C-dif, the person is also otherwise young and healthy before that - she had a mild sinus infection. So while our culture pops pills pretty easily, they aren't benign, I wouldn't take those unless you're sure you need them to clear a diagnosed infection, especially since you've mentioned gastro issues.

I'm not a doctor of course, but I felt like I wanted to look out for a fellow TT member there in case you hadn't thought of it! : )

Take care and I hope you keep feeling better!