Hi... Tinnitus for a Week

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kayzels, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Kayzels

Kayzels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I thought I might as well introduce myself and explain my situation.

I was listening to music last week on headphones quite loudly (I wouldn't say drastically so). When I took the headphones off, I suddenly felt this fullness in both ears. It sort of felt like I was hearing everything underwater. I used waxsol because I assumed the issue was wax, and interestingly enough a day later it (the fullness) went away.

My tinnitus had been occurring at the same time but I considered that a minor issue. Until I went to bed the night after the fullness disappeared and I struggled to sleep because it was so blazingly loud. I eventually got to sleep (I think at 1) but it was the exact same when I got up. And it has been constant.

It's unilateral, on my left ear and quite mild, but I miss silence. I can ignore it and masking helps a lot but nothing is nicer than that silence when reading a book and drinking a cappucino.

It's only been a week, and it's sort of going down (very gradually) but my general doctor said she couldn't find anything wrong. Going to an ENT on Friday but I am actually worried I might be stuck with this. Which isn't good, as I am studying to be an audio engineer. I will let you all know of any developments.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Since your T is so new and it seems it might have been due to acoustic trauma, you may want to get some prednisone steroid from your doctor/ENT asap. It may or may not help but never hurt to try it asap.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayzels

Kayzels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Before I do anything, I just want the ENT to check. Can you provide me with a little more information though please?

4. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      That is a right move. The first step is to consult the doctor/ENT for medical opinion to see if there are more underlying problems. But you can ask for the prednisone treatment and ask them for their opinion on using that. I think it is one of their treatment options anyway for new cases of ear problems due to acoustic trauma. You can search TT with 'prednisone' and you will see many such discussion on it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayzels

Kayzels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey just coming back to say that it's gone away. It's been away for a week and a day. Just went with time, but such a relief. Ironically enough, it disappeared as I was on the way to the ENT. No medication or anything. I think telling everyone that it is unlikely going away is actually risky, because I was ten times more stressed after reading this forum. Anywho, yeah, its great to have my silence back.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      Wonderful!!

Nice to see a recovery story. Hopefully when you have hard times in the future, you will remember when silence was taken away from you.. and that you got it back!

7. vanderlae
      Doh

vanderlae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2nd
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amoxicillin pill
      How long did it take to go away?

8. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @vanderlae this is an old thread and the author or OP of the thread may not be active in the forum any more after the T faded and gone. But you can probably tell that it is within the month of Aug 2016 that the T disappeared because the poster @Kayzels last posted on Aug 20 that T was gone while his T started in Aug. So looks like it was gone within the month it started, at most 3 weeks from the start.

9. vanderlae
      Doh

vanderlae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2nd
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amoxicillin pill
      Mines going away in almost a week, I can barley hear it. Usually when I turned my tv I can hear it loud. But right now can barley hear it

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1