Earasers Earplugs — What's Your Experience with These Hidden Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mricha37, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Earasers Musicians Earplugs

I just need something to take the bite out of noisy places like movies and restaurants. Has anyone tried Earasers?

2. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use them in loud restaurants. They are great. For a movie or loud bar I prefer made-to-fit earplugs like elacin.

3. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Some of you may already be aware but I’ve found the best earplugs for sound sensitivity: Earasers.

I’ve been trying different combos for a while now, mainly for things like airport and restaurants where things get just above a comfortable level.

I’m sure many of you have also tried a range of earplugs. Foam earplugs are often too much, half a foam earplug creates loud occlusion effect, etc.

Flare Audio earplugs give you about a 3-5 dB softening which isn’t enough and are still “open”.

Earasers have been a game changer.

They are soft and comfortable silicone, they are invisible (clear sleeve style with a little clear handle) and they’re just enough to take the edge off by about 10-15 dB.

Best of all there’s pretty limited occlusion effect compared to my other options. It has made me so much more comfortable going to these kinda places and talking. You could probably get away with them in a bar too.

I used the small size at NRR 13. They have small filters in them. The starter pack comes with both small and medium shell so that you can see what fits.

It’s made me so happy to have a subtle option like this, otherwise I was opting for noise-canceling headphones which had almost no occlusion effect. Clearly you can’t be wearing them out with people and at restaurants!

If you get these, make sure you fit them the correct way.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    4. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Thanks for posting this. Here's two positive reports on something that has helped people, that's encouraging.

5. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      I'll just add that Earasers were wonderful for me. I got the Max filters as I was trying to wean myself from (probably overused) foam earplugs. Comfortable, invisible and let in enough sound to feel like part of the world again. Correct fit is key - I actually needed a different size for each ear. I think I have weird ear canals because I found I had trouble getting the correct fit to stick. My sound sensitivity did decrease over this time while using them.

I only stopped wearing them because I got custom Westones. Those were a real game changer for me and I highly recommend going custom if you can, but Earasers are definitely good to have on hand.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep, my ear canals are slightly different size too. I almost need one earplug to be in between the small and medium!

Good note for anyone considering these.

I've also found customs pretty worthy! But I continually lose them at $200 a pair.

7. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      How would you compare Earasers to custom earplugs regarding the occlusion effect?

8. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can’t remember how good my custom earplugs were with occlusion, but being a 26 dB reduction, I think there was a pretty mid level of occlusion effect. Nowhere near as bad as half a foam earplug but I still remember preferring not to talk.

The good thing with Earasers is you can sit them in slightly differently to give a varying amount of dB reduction in these lighter situations, then rotate and push deeper for some scenarios. Overall the occlusion effect is less and doesn’t make me feel like I want to be silent or disconnected.

Maybe it has something to do with them being lesser dB reduction? I’ve never tried custom earplugs at a lower rating so I’m unable to compare that.

But with these being pretty much invisible, it’s an overall combo I prefer.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      Thanks for the information, I'll look into a pair of Earasers as a complement to my custom earplugs then. The occlusion effect in mine is as you describe: way better than foam earplugs but still significant.

I'll keep this thread updated when I get the Earasers!

10. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The starter pack is probably a good option as it includes two sizes. They’ll take some playing around with to find the best way to work for you.

• Informative Informative x 1