HIFU (High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Surgery

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    2. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
    3. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Viking first of all i wish you the best of luck. You struggled a lot not only with this terrible T but alos have to get founding for you right treatment...

Is 2 and 3 basically the same thing? To abolish overactive neurons i the Thalamus. You hit the same area in the Thalamus both treatments but one dose it with a probe and the other with HIFU?

Then we have the auditory cortex stimulation with a electronic inplant? What do we know about this? It is invasive? Were do the put the device? Under the skin?

Even if it is know that T i spreading over a large part of the brain there is hopefully central pathways in the thalamus. If you kan abolish those central pathways hopefully you can go back to normal qEEG?

It´s also know that T can be inner ear based for many years. Then i can turn to to the brain or it can still be both. If your T only in inner ear based the you would most likely not have abnormal qEEG? Then there is still a big need for combination treatment both to taget the bearing and the inner ear.

Personally i believe that HIFU and auditory context electrical treatment holds a lot of promise for the next 3-5 years until we have more specific drugs that possibly can take care of this. What a wonderful dream if some 100 per year that suffer the most could have their lives back. Downside of this for the moment is:
      To expansive
      Involves some risks
      We do not yet exactly know what parts of the brain to abolish

I am quite sure that my T would go away by hitting a few trigger point i my brain. It´s just to find them and give them some heat:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
    6. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Yes, but what do we know? Some T seams to be just inner ear based for a long time, many years. Some seam to spred to many parts of the brain? How dose it spread? It lest it start from one origin, most of the times and that is the inner ear. Are all the infected parts of the brain connected to each other? Could it be that the Thalamus is a connection point of different parts of the brain? Treating some mm3 at Thalamus seams to solve the puzzle at least in some cases. Most likely there would be other areas to taget as well if we knew more about the brain.

7. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      Medicine was and will be alway helping richer, from old ages, middle ages, even now 800 000 people in india don't have real health protection. Sweden accepted so many immigrant on expense of medical part, lowering part on salaries, better treatments. so now we got 500 000 people from somalia, iraq, afghan and syria. but we don't have doctors just little, and basic treatments, not high neurology, you just get write of, and kicked and pushed to side as much as possible.

Dont you think so. 20 years ago we in europe could get at least doctor attention, now it look like futuristic movie where you come to robot and he say tell me problem, you say i have tinnitus, he say ok, but i have back pain he say i dont care, only treatment, please enter your credit card, visit is 20.00€ , you pay, they give you benzodiazepine 5 mg, and say take this pills , it will be ok, it it does not get better come again, price is 20.00€, and only one problem per visit. And if stast saying pleaseeeee help me it is hard, can youuuuuuuuu... and lock that you stand on just opens and you fall through floor. there hospital sec is waiting, looking did you had this kind of "criminal" agains medical service so they put you on special list. on end they charge you 30€ more

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Good news for heavy smokers. after a CLT is possible smoking going up at dawn on the roof without much difficulty. Hihihihihi a big hug to everyone.
      Hifu can work for neurogenic tinnitus. You indicate a series of points where the tinnitus have an influence but if you (tthe surgeons) target the central circuit (tthe thalamus) that is at the origin of tinnitus, after some week or moonths the tinnitus will go down. It like to give a kick to a little house of mouses. After...tthey run away in all direction and it is exactly what ii'm experiencing!

Thanks to all For support and pray

• Hug x 5
      • Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Winner x 1
    9. preslys

preslys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      glad to heard you again @Viking
      have you an improvement after a surgery ?

10. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I will wait before talk about a "cure". Surely i haven't the same tinnitus But now is all strange. It is low...then louder...ffrom left to right...viceversa... the surgery was done well and i have all intact functions and i stay without limitations. In the next weeks/month i will know what exactly happen. The surgeons say that now after years and years of sufferences the brain need some time to return at "baseline" then i will wait!
      Thank you for all

• Like Like x 7
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @Viking

Great news! I Hope you go to zero now

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      Interesting graphic but your conclusion may not be correct.

Take a simple example - the light is on in your room. You conclude I can;t reduce the light - the whole room is lit up. When all it takes is flicking a switch.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 2
    13. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Awesome, you made it. So your T is fluctuating, you'd say? Did the tone, frequencies changed? Overall how do you feel?

14. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Hi Dear;

Yes the t is fluctuanting. Continous changing in tone and loud. Yesterday was a bad day but after this night i wake up with a T near the level 2. Frequency 6000hz not well localized. It seem to be at the center of head. I'mm still more tired by surgery, tranquillizers, and a lot of stress. I hope in the future

Best regards

• Hug Hug x 5
    15. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I`m happy you are well ! I hope the brain will adjust further to what happend. Was this the first time the doctor performed this operation related to T? What did he say you should expect the coming days, weeks, months?

Big bow to your courage my friend!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @Viking I see you're happily smoking, that's a good sign.
      Hope you get 100% better soon with 0% T.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Dana White did say his Menieres is cured from the stem cell therapy he went through, but he mentioned his tinnitus is still very much there.

• Informative Informative x 2
    18. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Dearest Nills
      the surgeons talk to me clearly: "we will burn the thalamus areas responsible of the tremors" because in the past others suffers with tremors and tinnitus (as a secondary symptom) had big improvement in tinnitus. I hope the same for me. I must wait 3 months and i must don't be scared if there will be a recurrence of aberrant tinnitus. They don't talk me about others patients. They say only that treat me as a TCD suffer Drug resistant and with a 0 quality of life.
      I hope for the best success
      probably this is a way to trat more neurogenic tinnitus and a further indications for the researc about a drug who should "hhit" the wrong cell in the thalamus stopping the overactivity and calm them down. I think is not impossibile

Best regards

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Viking , you have those to band-aids on your head is that where they drilled your skull?
      How is the hospital? Any other patients?

@Champ , Dana White didn't have stem cell treatment, but Regenokine. And his T is not permanent AFAIK. It just comes and goes.

20. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Did this help your tremors? I suffer from tremor slightly in my hands and I am a pro guitarist. I am on primidone now for tremor and I hate it. Also have propranolol but don't want to take that ... I wish you a speedy recovery!
      Best to you...

21. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

A lot! but i haven't tremors but involontary sudden movements of harm and legs with pain (all related to the overactivity in the thalamus)... tremors of long standing were rare. Anyway at this time there aren't tremors and no pain. This morning the tinnitus is lower. Single sided 6khz around 40db.... WOW!

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    22. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

I don't know if others patients are going for this but surely i wasn't the first. This procedure (CLT) is well know by the end of 50s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalamotomy. The band aids are present because they fix a ring aroung my head in order to lock it. This is required because during the descent of the probe into the brain, you are awake and there is the possibility to don't hit the target and then can be happen induced seizures. If you move your head while the needle is inserted ... happens a slaughterhouse.... only this! It is invasive but safety! I hope in the future

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How much did this experience cost you... and i so much pray you get better and better by every passing day, you deserve it more than me, brotherly hug, my God save you and bless you

24. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This how i felt when i took Trobalt dear.... My tinnitus went away but i was afraid day will come it will come back, and it lasted few months and it just like when a rain falls 3h and all is wet and suddenly sunshine comes back and you feel it drying up, and t coming back and it came back, just like that. And well, tinnitus is trauma, and when you lose it you get PTSD from it, from fear of having the torment back

• Like Like x 1
    25. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Yes i agree the tinnitus can be a trauma i know A LOT this experience, but we must do a distinction between the symptom and the emotional impact of it. The "ways" are 2 in the brain. A source and an "computer". If the "computer" go into a "protection/alarm modality", in case of tinnitus, the tinnitus will continue to to do a lot of emotional deservation....and more is long this proce...more is bad...then the so called psycogen symptom development also as a PTSD...another ugly beast added to tinnitus. I talk about this because before the surgery i was adviced a lot about a psycoterapeutic support before and after, because also when we have an improvement, the fear of symptom recurrence create a loop in the brain...and like for the black sorcery, the symptom come back more powerful and disturbing than its start! Into the prefrontal cortex we have a large paralimbic/associative psychoemotional areas on both sides and when something of beatiful or bad happen, those areas act like an orchestra between the central circuit (the talamus) and the cortex (the orchestra). Major is the benefit major is the feeling. Bad is the feeling, more bad and long standing will be the sufference. Many theraphy (drug,surgery, etc) don't gone well because the patient had suffered for long time and psicoterapy is necessary for the desensitize more of those aspects, otherwise any therapy will not work! The same discussion could be valid fot the so called placebo effect but now i don't wont to stretch too vain speech. Answering to our quuestion about the cost
      The hospitalization (nurses,blood exams, pre-entry check-up) is of 3800chf and with my health card (italian republic), we are talking about a public facility, the cost of intervention is of the responsibility of the Ministry of Italian Health.

All the best for you Cristian

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is ok! Important thing is that they help you...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I pray for you, guys can you also pray for him, so maybe we can also get slowly treatment like him, and maybe jeanmonod start to work in other cities and this get to be permanent solution, please say little pray, lit a candle for his health... when you are in chirch, like i am protestant, i went and ask my church to pray for my friend who had operation and need Gods help, please pray and think positive for him..

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Viking,

I wish you a speedy recovery my friend.
      Huge courage to attempt something so invasive.
      You deserve the t to go to 0 and never another hizz, buzz or siren ever again.

Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @Viking

How are you doing? Wishing you the best in your recovery.

R

30. Viking
      No Mood

Viking Member Benefactor

Hi dear;

everything is proceeding as the doctors had described. Ups and downs, for sure there was no longer even a day of tinnitus over 120db. I hope it's a good start. After all there is to consider that tomorrow will be just 14 days after surgery and then have to wait at least three months to see more concrete results. Consider that 9 years of suffering of with 2 horrible.... time is required to restore a "baseline" new situation. Many times during the night i have nightmares where the aberrant tinnitus is present....i sudden wake up with low tinnitus... this to give only an idea!

Thank for all and best regards

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2