Hollywood Movie "Baby Driver" with Tinnitus in Leading Role

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Mic, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Good news. A potential blockbuster from Hollywood with tinnitus as cause for super crazy driving skills?!? Trailer below.

BABY DRIVER - Official Trailer (HD)

This is just the right thing that could blast awareness in the right direction!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I need to get my driver's licence.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Looks cool but won't the character's headphone use make T worse?

• Like Like x 3
    4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      haha yes all this shooting while playing loud music through earbuds ...a perfect "how to get tinnitus" awareness

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Does anyones t actually sound like that sample in the movie? Sounds absolutely frigging awful.

• Like Like x 1
    6. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Yeah mine is even worse than that but kind of similar (have more noises too). Not a serious movie but good to have at least a bit of awareness for this shit.

• Like Like x 1
    7. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      If it's not from noise exposure...

8. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Mine sounds like that except with a lower volume. But yeah it's so piercing whenever I hear it. What does yours sound like?

I feel like this level of awareness will come with confusion, so we should be ready to explain stuff to set things straight. A friend already sent me the link to the trailer of this movie and told me that I should try listening to loud music like the lead character to drown out the ringing. He also told me he didn't know T could be so bad ass. Ooooh boy. I had my work cut out for me. This on top of dealing with people I know who already came up with various superhero names for me because of my H. They all mean well but they don't see the severity of these ear conditions.

I've often wondered about this. If someone got T from TMJD, anxiety, etc., then I can see why they don't have to worry about protecting their ears from noise. But if someone got T from ototoxic medication or any other cause that directly involves the ears, shouldn't they protect their hearing even if the direct cause isn't noise exposure?

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Lex i guess its like if someone blew air into you ear with a little bit of sizzle mixed in.

10. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Depends how loud you're playing the sample, and through what speakers, but watching it on my iPhone 6s at full volume and it seems quite mild to me. Maybe just a tad worse than the T I had for over 10 years before these new improved sounds moved into my brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      It wasn't the volume as such it was high pitch sound that was horrble. My sound is a soft static noise, nothing like that video.

12. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My main sound is really high pitched, higher than in the clip. I'd say it's around 9khz in the trailer, mine sits around 12.5khz ish. It took me ages to get over it because it's very piercing. I used to compare mine to the whine of an old CRT amplified to sound like a dentists drill. On top of that I've got a lower pitched drone in my left hear around 6khz, then various hissing sounds underneath it all. It's a cocophony of sounds that crushed my spirit and made me quit my band. At some point I'm hoping to get back to live music.

I'd happily swap for his T in the clip though any day! That's why T is so individual. We have absolutely no clue what anyone else on this forum is hearing in their heads. What some of us see as unbearably loud might actually be a moderate hum to somebody else and vice versa.

I do find it funny how he's surrounded by gunfire 24/7 and loud music through his headphones though. It's like no wonder you've got ringing ears you mad bastard!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Yes, it is horrible. When it gets loud (like mine sometimes does), it adds a layer of shrillness to everything.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Consider yourself lucky. I think mine is around 13-14kHz and I can't mask it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. HalloweenScreamQueen
      Cheerful

HalloweenScreamQueen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was about 12 YO
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      First a question, you guys actually heard a sample of his t??? Must match mine really well because I didn't hear anything. ☹️

Secondly, I'm pretty tired of all these movies glorifying violence. And no, I don't care that he wants to reform. It seems like it's a standard format with some cute people thrown in and some fast driving. Sounds totally predictable and not worth the $15, not including the popcorn, price to watch it in the theatre. Maybe as a DVD, but probably not - even for the t aspect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. DonnaDee

DonnaDee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Automobile accident.
      Awesome. I like it whenever or whoever shines a light on this condition.
      Mines sounds like the main character in " Dallas Buyers Club".
      I wondered how the people in the movie could know what it sounds like.
      Peace! D

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Yes, all day music, heavy driving and machine gun shooting won't do your T good.

But... I don't believe in good or bad publication... if there is an opportunity to reach the attention of millions this will give awareness a new boost.

If a butterfly can cause a hurricane, maybe this movie can do more ;)

• Like Like x 1
    18. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Mine is much higher freq then that . Wish that was my T .

19. Skulldrey
      Alone

Skulldrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MUSE opening for My Chemical Romance
      Thought you might be interested. Maybe we could use this as a pressure point in the fight against T.

upload_2017-5-4_10-58-16.png

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      The trailer to the movie looks great and will go to see it

Hope he does more films !

21. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Film due out in the UK in June :)

22. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      This looks fantastic! I wonder if someone producing the movie has T? I like how they referred to T as a "hum in the drum."

23. tearsong

tearsong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Before I can remember...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      First, a stupid question... What IS his tinnitus sound? I've listened to the entire video 3x now at max volume, and I can't even tell where it is demonstrated... Is it just the quick moment of what sounds like "feedback" when his earphones are tapped?

If so then yeah, mine is like that, too... I have somewhere between 4-6 constant high pitched tones between both ears (one of them pulses a bit, but the rest are just static ringing); some are higher in pitch than his, some a tad lower. Not quite as loud as the video with everything at full volume, but close. (I didn't even hear the pitch the first two times...)

That said, I've had tinnitus since I was a young child (otosclerosis + near constant ear infections), so I have literally no idea what silence sounds like. As a result, I've just gotten used to it I guess, it doesn't really bother me all that much in and of itself. The effects bother me (having to ask people to repeat themselves because I didn't hear them, for example), but I honestly don't even hear the sounds most of the time... (Though they've been getting louder since I hit my mid-30s.)

------------

Secondarily, I have to wonder if it's just going to promote the "its not that bad" mentality that I've seen other groups have to deal with...

For example, Rainman (which actually wasn't based on a man with autism (it was based on Kim Peek), though people think it is), Scorpion (the boy in the main cast was said to have autism in the beginning, though it turns out he was intellectually gifted, instead), Touch, House of Cards (the Lifetime movie special, not the television series), and others... These television and movie depictions have seemed to promote the "everyone with autism has a gift" -- whether it be numbers, architecture, intelligence, art, etc -- which simply isn't true. To the point where when parents or people with ASD have said that they/their child have/has autism, and the first question they get asked is "so what do you/does he do?"

Unless they go into the fact that the teen is (negatively) affected by this condition (not just his situation of "driving for bad people"), I'm not sure that this is the type of awareness that will do anyone any good... (I've already seen someone with tinnitus who came into a chronic pain chat channel, and was told that the channel was for people who were "actually suffering"...)

Whoopsie doodle. That's what I get for not reading the entire thread before responding. :p

But yeah, so much this...

24. Race1000k

Race1000k Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      "Baby Driver" is getting a spectacular review in "Rolling Stone" where they call it a near-masterpiece.

Here's a bit of the review:

"Now this is what I call a summer movie. Baby Driver has it all: thrills, laughs, sex, nonstop action, a killer soundtrack, a star-making performance from Ansel Elgort and a director – Edgar Wright – who can knock the wind out of you. When was the last time to got pumped by a car chase? This revved-up ride of a movie is loaded with them, and they're spectacular.

"Elgort, the teen dream of The Fault in Our Stars, plays Baby, an Atlanta getaway driver with chronic tinnitus. That constant ringing and buzzing in his ears is why he's never without his earbuds; the music in his head drowns out the buzz and replaces it with nonstop beats. The first getaway, set to "Bellbottoms" by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, is choreographed by Wright (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) with a precision to match anything in La La Land...."

more at link

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      SmartSelectImage_2017-06-29-21-23-01.png
      Movie is a hit!!! Everybody to the cinema for more awareness (and don't forget the earplugs).

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck
      Please tell us about the movie..

i can't go to the movies

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Great, now we will have an entire generation of movie goers who think that sticking some earbuds in your ears is going to solve your tinnitus. :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    28. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I read the blurb for it and the guy puts earphones in to listen to music all day to drown out his T. This is literally the exact opposite of what the advise people should be getting. Earbuds are up there with smoking if you ask me. My T wasn't noise induced, but a heck of a lot of people's T was.

29. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      I just saw it right now. First of all, it's a great movie. One of the most fun movies I've seen these couple years.
      But what I loved is that the main character actually suffers from Tinnitus. If you all see the trailers, the main guy is always wearing headphones. At first, you think it's because he enjoys music a lot or he doesn't like talking to people. But it's the revealed that he suffers from loud humming noise in his ears, and uses music the tune it out.
      Just thought I should mention it! :) It's pretty cool to see Tinnitus being mentioned in a mainstream movie.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      I can't go to the movies, because of my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1