Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Aha, yep I see where you're coming from now. I read this paper and speculated as much - that the problem isn't damage to the nerve fibers themselves but to the OHCs to which they are connected and then the fibres are implicated because they signal damage but I just wasn't entirely sure. That makes sense and is somewhat reassuring to hear!
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4664349/
      Also something that I find reassuring is that for most of us, whilst we have some degree of noise trauma/damage to the inner ear we still have a good degree of hearing function etc and so we already have the existing inner ear architecture etc. So maybe that means repair is more straightforward.

2. Buzzy1

Buzzy1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1983
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi, I'm really confused. Is there a simple way of explaining this? Will it be able to help people like me who have had t for a long time, in my case 38 years? Originally started from ear infection, but worse now due to hearing loss.
      Thanks for any info you can give me.

3. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Basically, yes. HPN-07 (Hough pill) combined with N-acetylcysteine showed effectiveness in rescuing auditory nerve fibers outside of the immediate window... “Permanent threshold shift was established by open field blast insult. Treatment was initiated at 4 weeks post-injury,with HPN-07 plus NAC dosed at 300 mg/kg twice daily for 14 days. ABR threshold improvements were shown 14 weeks post-injury (8 weeks post-treatment) versus pre-treatment.

FIG. 29 shows NHPN-1010 treatment (HPN-07 plus NAC) restored IHC ribbon synapse numbers in established, chronic hearing loss model. NHPN-1010 treatment was initiated 4 weeks after injury and dosed daily for 14 days. Ribbon synapse counts were significantly restored 8 weeks post-injury.”

The huge hurdle here is funding, and then admission to phase 2(?)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Not to hijack (you can PM me and I can delete this post), but if you wouldn’t mind telling the cause, severity, and if it just gradually diminished over time?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Buzzy1

Buzzy1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1983
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you, still quite complicated tho or I'm having a blonde moment.
      Let's hope they get the funding after 38 years I could do with a break!

6. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      We will probably find out more in the podcast that will be conducted soon!

• Like Like x 2
    7. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      The simple short answer is maybe :/

Sorry, I wish we could say for sure but we cant without knowing what structure is damaged inside the ear. Could be synapses, nerve fibers, OHC, IHC, or a combination of all of them.

Some people will see benefit from the pill, some won’t. But if the pill doesn’t work there are many other avenues of treatment coming up. I firmly agree with brokensoul that if your tinnitus is generated from cochlear damage then relief is coming in one form or another.

Many of us will likely need more than one piece of the regenerative puzzle though.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Buzzy1

Buzzy1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1983
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @HootOwl
      Thank you for taking the time to reply. I guess it's a waiting game, hopefully not too much longer. Had this since I was 23 and I'm now 61, would really like to hear silence or a quieter tinnitus.
      Fingers crossed for all of us.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Man, I really hope that some combination of hair/cell synaptic regeneration would help cure hyperacusis. My main worry is whether hyperacusis (specifically noxacusis) if it's a form of neuropathic pain could become centralised over time. I recall reading a post someone made on the forums touching on this a while back. Therefore would solving the damage at the original site (ie damaged OHCs) end up being a full solution. I guess there's still so much to uncover but only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
    10. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah I’d bank on this for acute phases and sub-chronic phases mostly. Although they’ve shown efficacy in the regeneration space, I wouldn’t rely on a potent antioxidant in chronic cases—there, I’d expect (mostly) FX-322 and possibly OTO-413/PIPE-505 (if speech-in-noise is the primary problem) to be the primary treatment. Could give a shit less about the procedures, shoot me up. But it’d still be great knowing you could go to your doctor if and get a (pricey) pill in the likely event docs are negligent and don’t refer you to immediate dexamethasone injection/high dose oral steroid upon tinnitus presentation.

I know you know this (and way more) haha just wanted to qualify my opinion of “basically yes”

• Like Like x 2
    11. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I really, really think this is unlikely. I’m not well read on hyperacusis at all but the likelihood that tinnitus becomes centralized (which I don’t believe) is infinitely more viable than hyper/noxacusis becoming centralized. I’ve dealt with chronic pain twice separately, for about two years each time, and those experiences have anecdotally proven to me that the signal either gets down regulated over time, or I’ve habituated to it.

• Like Like x 3
    12. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hey folks, good news: Today we finally managed to get the recording with Hough Ear Institute done!

I spoke with Dr. Rick Kopke and Justin DeMoss. They were very forthcoming, and also announced some quite exciting news from their side, although I can't yet reveal what it is.

I would like to specifically mention here how patient and persistant the Hough guys have been while we struggled with multiple technical issues before we finally were able to succesfully record. It just shows how serious they are about communicating directly with the tinnitus community.

We'll be editing over the next week and hope to publish in 1-2 weeks.

• Like Like x 18
      • Winner Winner x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Really hope it’s the much awaited phase 2 announcement.

• Like Like x 5
    14. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you Hazel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      That's great!

I would like to specifically mention here how patient and persistent the Tinnitus Talk team has been while struggling with multiple technical issues. Thank you!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 3
    16. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If all goes as planned, the Hough Ear Institute interview will be published late tonight (GMT time). Or tomorrow the latest.

We want to get this out as soon as possible, so the transcript will be ready later (approx. a week from now).

Again I want to remind that numerous hours have gone into the planning, organizing and production of this interview as well as all our other interviews, from our all-volunteer team (me, @Hazel, @Autumnly, @Liz Windsor).

So if you'd like to show your appreciation starting at a modest $2/month level of Patreon support, please do so now by clicking the below image (did you know that I, Hazel and Autumnly all are Patreons of Tinnitus Talk Podcast ourselves, besides also volunteering our spare time?):

In the future we'll have Patreon-only bonus content too...

tinnitus-talk-podcast-patron.png

• Winner Winner x 12
      • Like Like x 11
    17. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’m in. Is JimH still matching donations or was that only for the Vancouver trip?

18. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi there,

Well, the episode is out, in record time!

Hough put out a press release earlier today about their new partnership, which is discussed in the episode.

Tell us your thoughts!

• Winner Winner x 9
      • Like Like x 2
    20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Just listened to the podcast. Very interesting. But I am a bit confused after reading the official press on this:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...hough-ear-institute-scientists-301003204.html

It looks like the initial phase 2 isn't looking at tinnitus or speech in noise. How exactly are they accessing synapse regrowth clinically then? Or is the first phase 2 just going to be post acute noise exposure and looking at audiograms?

Maybe this was answered somehow and I didn't hear it right. I will check the transcript when it comes out.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    21. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The drug will be marketed for hearing loss, not for tinnitus specifically (at least not initially). This means that the phase 2 clinical trial has to assess efficacy for hearing loss. How exactly they plan to assess outcomes I don't know, but audiograms would seem likely. I believe they plan to do a follow-up study looking specifically at outcomes for tinnitus.

• Creative Creative x 1
    22. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      Is it for chronic tinntius? And for all tinnitus?

23. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      So trial participants will have abnormal audiograms then? Because if they were looking at cochlear synaptopathy, shouldn't Speech in Noise be included? So it seems that in this first phase 2 they are looking at audiograms?

If that were the case they are looking for participants with acute damage and acute audiogram changes then right? Because it doesn't regrow hair cells.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    24. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I haven’t listened to the podcast as I need the transcript.

Did it state when they are starting Phase 2 and when they will finish it?

25. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      They said they expect the first phase 2 (it is implied there will be more than one phase 2 I thought) to begin in 2020 and the drug to be out mid decade. They aren't testing this on tinnitus patients in this next phase but hope to later.

• Informative Informative x 2
    26. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Indeed it doesn't regrow hair cells, but repairs damaged nerves. But to be honest we didn't go into detail on the design of the phase 2 trial, and I don't know if there is a design yet. Perhaps @Justin De Moss can shed some more light here.

• Like Like x 3
    27. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      They said for they saw evidence for noise induced but that's also the only etiology they tested I think. They believe it will help chronic cases but are going to do more pre-clinical testing soon to confirm.

• Like Like x 3
    28. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      One point I want to highlight is Dr. Kopke believes fixing the cochlea will result in treating tinnitus. He doesn't believe it's "stuck in the brain" and he uses his 1/2 to 2/3 of tinnitus patients with hearing loss improving even with just hearing aids as further evidence of this.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That’s interesting. If FX-322 doesn’t solve all of our problems we might need a combination of FX-322 and HEI Pill.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      This is so exciting. Did they mention whether this might help hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 1