Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @brokensoul, this study seems to imply that EEG changes occur only with tinnitus distress and not having tinnitus. I.e. mild tinnitus did not show changes. Do we know if rodents have tinnitus distress?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4364116/

Also, interestingly, if I am reading this right they found that the brain changes associated with tinnitus in this study occurred with hearing loss over 8000 Hz (and only in those higher frequencies) and that the hearing loss itself may account for those changes.

2. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      That's my understanding that auditory nerve endings and synapses should be repaired, but better to ask @Justin De Moss.

3. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Based on what I was informed by brai3n.com who analyzed my qEEG it's not distress alone, I have it mild and consider myself quite habituated, still the qEEG indicates I have tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      People somehow got their hands on Trobalt (which had far more serious side effects) so I’m confident most doctors would feel safe providing this off label since it’s just a potent anti-oxidant.

I’ve already asked a few and they said if the phase 1 data showed it was safe they have no issue.

After reading the press release and reevaluating the current state of the pill, I’d rather get this thing to market sooner than draw out the approval process by having a phase 2b for tinnitus. Unless that phase 2b ran concurrently with phase 3 for the cochlear implant trauma. Otherwise - let’s just assume it is effective for acute cases and the chronic cases can asses efficacy once it can bought.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      • Winner Winner x 7
      • Like Like x 3
    6. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown:medication,cannabis,stress,sleep deprivation
      I just went to Brai3n (Dr. De Ridder) and they did a Loretta qEEG test (with eyes closed and ear protection). Afterwards they showed me the results and it contained a brain image with 1) hyperactive auditory cortices and 2) another zone that was underactive.

It also confirmed brain wave anomalies (alpha, beta, gamma and delta band anomalies). I don’t know if this is common for tinnitus. Perhaps the severity of the anomalies is related to VSS. My tinnitus is also not mild.

It’s probably not the most sensitive test you can do. It’s fairly basic as far as I know.

• Informative Informative x 3
    7. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just want to add that it also included functional connectivity results (brain regions that communicate which each other). It’s the test which shows red lines for communicating regions. The report also contained signal generation by several brain regions (don’t recall what it is called) and this demonstrated that I have thalamocortical dysrhytmia. The strength of the signal was too low or deviated significantly from the norm. It’s like an electrical pulse, but my pulses are abnormal. This is what I correlate with the weird feeling I have in my brain.

I have asked this question before, but never got an answer. Is there anyone who has done such a test with similar results, but only has tinnitus (and not VSS)?

@Mentos, what were your results?

8. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      More or less same as yours. I have only tinnitus. No visual snow.

9. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did Dr. De Ridder tell you that you have thalamocortical dysrhythmia?

10. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was Jan Ost I talked to via Skype, I don't think he mentioned thalamocortical dysrhythmia.

11. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      How do you get that? Thru noise induced or something else?

12. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus has been described as a thalamocortical dysrhythmia of the auditory pathway.

Visual Snow Syndrome has been described as a thalamocortical dysrhythmia of the visual pathway, but this syndrome usually includes tinnitus as well for most people with VSS, so in reality it’s a thalamocortical dysrhythmia of the visual and auditory pathway.

The qEEG done by the Brai3n clinic in Belgium confirmed this for me, although this was not really discussed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalamocortical_dysrhythmia

Thalamocortical Dysrhythmia: A Theoretical Update in Tinnitus
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4460809/

I have no idea what caused my condition.

• Informative Informative x 2
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Forgive me if this is too off-topic but...

What Neuro transmitters does he propose are involved in this dysrhythmia? There may actually be a way to treat this pharmacologically.

There is (was? He was very old a decade and a half ago) a Nobel prize for medicine nominated doctor in Venezuela named Fuad Lechin whose life's work involved measuring serial levels of serotonin, Norepinephrine, Epinephrine and Dopamine etc at rest, orthostasis, light exercise, etc. and then figuring out how to pharmacologically tweak these levels to affect brain function and dysfunction, immune function (most people do not think the brain influences the immune system directly but he has shown that it does), etc.

I don't know if it's still the case, but he was once the only one in the world to treat people at a clinical/hospital level with this approach (it took very precise dosing).

I have his book. It's called Neurocircuitry and Neuroautonomic Disorders and he uses neurotransmitter tweaking to shift the immune system from TH-1 to TH-2 or vice versa. What's especially interesting here is he has profiles for "uncoping stress" and "endogenous depression" too. Since stress alone can, in some cases, lead to VSS, I wonder if this approach could help.

Worth nothing that he didn't mention the thalamus specifically in his book but I will include a photo below of the kinds of trends he saw in those measurements.

When I was there in 2004 (long story), he was training some German doctors in his method and i wonder if there would be a way to find them and ask them if something like this could help. This is super left field I realize but if VSS is truly a result of brain dysregulation in some cases (esp in those who have no cochlear damage), perhaps it can be treated as such.

Attached Files:

14. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      Not sure what you mean by separate arm. If you are talking about a wholly-owned subsidiary - then possibly, but it is usually by drug NOT indication.

15. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I mean they are testing the efficacy of FX-322 on hearing loss in one part of phase 2, and its effects on tinnitus on another population during phase 2.

What I’m saying is, you would need $735k to do the same, in opening up a phase 2 experiment that separately analyzed its efficacy in treating a tinnitus population.

16. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's great that so much research is being done! That increases the odds of a solution making it to the market!

• Like Like x 3
    17. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Just to clarify, FX-322 are testing it on the same population as an "experimental arm" addition in phase 2 to their original study.

18. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depends. If the reason is related to nerve damage due to accumulated trauma over the years - yes. If it is related to hair cell damage in the cochlea - then the pill won't but the injection we are working on will.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The injection is still in pre-clinical studies. It is ready for a Phase I clinical study. Once we get it funded we will proceed. Most age-related hearing loss is due to hair cell damage (the injection), but if it is due to nerve damage then the pill is the way to go!

You can go to our website for more information: www.houghear.org

• Like Like x 1
    20. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's looking like we probably have raised $300K for the tinnitus proof of concept study. Once that is confirmed by Oblato and OCAST then I'll make an announcement. So we are down to $435K, of which I've already started raising funds with. We have a challenge match going on right now as well so I'm confident we'll hit this goal by mid-year.

• Winner Winner x 6
      • Informative Informative x 2
    21. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They have said they are interested in matching an OCAST grant for $150K for tinnitus. If confirmed, that will be $300K of the $735K needed and we can start the research!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really don't know how to answer this. I'll have to kick this up to one of the researchers.

23. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I'll keep fighting brother. I'm going to get this proof of concept study funded. We are going to do all we can to help you and others.

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usually one of the first signs that nerve damage has occurred is difficulty understanding speech, not hearing it. Hidden hearing loss is another example. There are other reasons - but that is why they are the doctor:) !

• Like Like x 1
    25. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, the auditory nerve. The pill helps regenerate meaningful nerve connections between the cochlea and the auditory nerve.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      If I have trouble sometime understanding what someone is saying, is it possible nerve damage in my case and not hair cell damage? My audiogram is normal with slight hearing loss (16 dB).

27. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I mean how do you know nerve endings are restored, there have to be some diagnostic tool in place, right?

28. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      @Justin De Moss

Just wanted to say thanks for all you're doing. You don't need to engage with us, but you do, and that's extremely appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 3
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      So you mean a person can hear the speech but not understand it? My understanding of speech is difficult to assess as I spend much of my time speaking to a 3-year old in English and the rest of time speaking a foreign language to adults and flipping between one and the other, which means I have to be switched on anyway to understand everything and to not miss anything.

I tried the hidden hearing test on your site and got 11/14. I couldn't understand the last two or the fourth one from last. Don't know how accurate the test is or what my score means.

Having read about auditory nerve damage, I don't have vertigo or dizziness, so presumably the vestibular nerve isn't damaged. And having had an MRI, it showed that I don't have an acoustic neuroma.

My audiogram showed mild hearing loss with dips at 4000 Hz in one ear and 6000 Hz in the other and then a sharp drop off at 8000 Hz. I am 50.

30. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Can somebody give me a clear answer on when this is going to be available? Is it mid 2020? Or mid decade of 2020s?

• Like Like x 1