Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      Not sure what you mean by separate arm. If you are talking about a wholly-owned subsidiary - then possibly, but it is usually by drug NOT indication.

2. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I mean they are testing the efficacy of FX-322 on hearing loss in one part of phase 2, and its effects on tinnitus on another population during phase 2.

What I’m saying is, you would need $735k to do the same, in opening up a phase 2 experiment that separately analyzed its efficacy in treating a tinnitus population.

3. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's great that so much research is being done! That increases the odds of a solution making it to the market!

• Like Like x 3
    4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Just to clarify, FX-322 are testing it on the same population as an "experimental arm" addition in phase 2 to their original study.

5. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depends. If the reason is related to nerve damage due to accumulated trauma over the years - yes. If it is related to hair cell damage in the cochlea - then the pill won't but the injection we are working on will.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The injection is still in pre-clinical studies. It is ready for a Phase I clinical study. Once we get it funded we will proceed. Most age-related hearing loss is due to hair cell damage (the injection), but if it is due to nerve damage then the pill is the way to go!

You can go to our website for more information: www.houghear.org

• Like Like x 1
    7. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's looking like we probably have raised $300K for the tinnitus proof of concept study. Once that is confirmed by Oblato and OCAST then I'll make an announcement. So we are down to $435K, of which I've already started raising funds with. We have a challenge match going on right now as well so I'm confident we'll hit this goal by mid-year.

• Winner Winner x 6
      • Informative Informative x 2
    8. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They have said they are interested in matching an OCAST grant for $150K for tinnitus. If confirmed, that will be $300K of the $735K needed and we can start the research!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really don't know how to answer this. I'll have to kick this up to one of the researchers.

10. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I'll keep fighting brother. I'm going to get this proof of concept study funded. We are going to do all we can to help you and others.

• Like Like x 9
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usually one of the first signs that nerve damage has occurred is difficulty understanding speech, not hearing it. Hidden hearing loss is another example. There are other reasons - but that is why they are the doctor:) !

• Like Like x 1
    12. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, the auditory nerve. The pill helps regenerate meaningful nerve connections between the cochlea and the auditory nerve.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      If I have trouble sometime understanding what someone is saying, is it possible nerve damage in my case and not hair cell damage? My audiogram is normal with slight hearing loss (16 dB).

14. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I mean how do you know nerve endings are restored, there have to be some diagnostic tool in place, right?

15. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      @Justin De Moss

Just wanted to say thanks for all you're doing. You don't need to engage with us, but you do, and that's extremely appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 3
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never trust a doctor
      So you mean a person can hear the speech but not understand it? My understanding of speech is difficult to assess as I spend much of my time speaking to a 3-year old in English and the rest of time speaking a foreign language to adults and flipping between one and the other, which means I have to be switched on anyway to understand everything and to not miss anything.

I tried the hidden hearing test on your site and got 11/14. I couldn't understand the last two or the fourth one from last. Don't know how accurate the test is or what my score means.

Having read about auditory nerve damage, I don't have vertigo or dizziness, so presumably the vestibular nerve isn't damaged. And having had an MRI, it showed that I don't have an acoustic neuroma.

My audiogram showed mild hearing loss with dips at 4000 Hz in one ear and 6000 Hz in the other and then a sharp drop off at 8000 Hz. I am 50.

17. Niatoolit
      Cheerful

Niatoolit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Can somebody give me a clear answer on when this is going to be available? Is it mid 2020? Or mid decade of 2020s?

• Like Like x 1
    18. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Definitely not mid 2020. They're just starting phase 2 of clinical trials. If the results are positive, they'll start phase 3.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never trust a doctor
      Mid decade if everything goes to plan with funding and the trials.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Buzzy1

Buzzy1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1983
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Justin De Moss thank you for fighting our side. I'm convinced before I die that I will hear silence or quieter days again. I'm 62, but after 38 years of this I was starting to give up hope. It's just so reassuring that research is being done. There's an awful lot of us with t and more getting it every day. I really don't understand why more funds aren't available for research. Do researchers consider t to be not as important as research into treatments for cancer etc? I'm reaching the end of my treatment for breast cancer, so no doubt research has helped me get to where I am, but t is totally debilitating some days.

Thank you
      Ingrid

• Hug Hug x 4
    21. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No, it’s because the medical industry fails to acknowledge the plight of severe sufferers and all funding goes to equivocal bullshit treatments of conditions secondary to tinnitus (anxiety and depression, etc.) through CBT, ACT and TRT.

The problem is victim-blaming. The problem is the ATA refusing to platform any of these promising research companies and help source funds. The problem is medical and political complacency. The problem is veteran associations’ power arrangement/hierarchy is extremely bloated and convoluted which hurts our ability to leverage their lobbying power to affect medical and scientific change.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
    22. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well, ultimately it's all about money. And this applies to all health conditions that are underserved.

Costs a lot to research, and who wants to pay for research when there's no perfect proof. And that goes round and round.

There is a lot of science out there that doesn't make it as far as it could because no one wants to fund something that is hypothetical, even if the science is really really good. History shows it's an incredibly risky investment.

I'm very grateful for the somewhat recent developments in regenerative medicine and my heart goes out to long term sufferers. I've been on this ride 9 months now. I won't even go there - the what ifs.

The one nice aspect about our tinnitus is, it's not rare, and it's increasing. It's odd to say that, but our odds of conquering it are increasing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    23. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      In this case, I disagree. The DoD pays out $2B+ ANNUALLY in tinnitus-related disability alone, and yet awards one SINGULAR grant (thankfully to HEI) to the tune of 1.9 million over 3 years (unclear if this is the total or 5.7 million). The financial incentive for a cure is there—the problem is with the abovementioned therapy practitioners’ conflation of the effects with its causes, thereby obfuscating the core problems of tinnitus and eating up all the grant funding because maybe 4 players in the field have a realistic scientific understanding of its pathology.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something Wicked This Way Comes
      May I ask you to explain this in a bit more detail? I don’t quite understand what you’re saying and I’d like to.
      Is insufficient funding flowing to companies like Frequency Therapeutics, Otonomy, and Hough? How can the ATA help?
      What do you mean by political complacency? Regarding medical, it seems to me that there's a bias that tinnitus is not all that serious, which undermines discovering and administering treatments. Is that what you mean, or... what do you mean?
      Are you talking about the VA or other organizations, and how exactly do problems in their power structure hurt our ability to leverage their lobbying power to affect change? What exactly do you mean, and how do you think it could it be improved?

I would genuinely like to have a better understanding.

Thanks. :beeranimation:

25. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Nobody has a real understanding of the pathology.

We have some educated guesses, but again. You can't identify tinnitus in the body with current diagnostics. Some similarities but no smoking gun.

I will rejoice the day we do get it. Whoever discovers that will, in my opinion, have 75 percent of the battle conquered. From there we can look into genuine repairs, or targeted masking.

26. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      The "theory" is that by promoting CBT or mindfulness training or any sort of coping strategy you are implying that tinnitus isn't real. If tinnitus isn't real, then sufferers are imagining it. This means that they are in some way neurotic and therefore responsible for their own condition. Also, if people believe that tinnitus isn't real, then nobody's going to put the resources into finding "real" treatments. Furthermore, the resources that go into developing/researching/promoting said coping strategies would be better put into funding research into finding real treatments.

I think that's the gist of it. It's the sort of stuff that @JohnAdams used to beat people over the head with all the time and it surfaces on a regular basis.

Having said that @mrbrightside614 seems like a stand up kind of guy from his online persona, but personally I wish it was a thing that would just go away. I do agree that governments should fund medical research in preference to developing new and exciting weoponry for their armed forces and sending their presidents on golfing holidays. Can you imagine the benefit to the population if they can treat hearing loss, dementia...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I don't necessarily take away that offering CBT implies tinnitus isn't real. What's offered is all we have... basically nothing. Coping. Don't forget those methods are used for other health conditions with no cure.

Not saying I don't want more attention and funding for tinnitus though.

It's no secret the profit potential is there,

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Ben S
      Curious

Ben S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      So will cochlear Synaptopathy and Neuropathy both be addressed with this pill? And along with Otonomy's treatment and Pipelines too?

Also is this Synaptopathy and Neuropathy the only kind of Cochlear nerve damage that can occur from NIHL?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    29. HootOwl

HootOwl Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Synaptopathy, yes. Neuropathy, no. But most people who have NIHL do not have severe or even mild cochlear neuropathy, if you’re going by the definition of neuropathy referring to health of the the SGNs , or the auditory nerve itself.

However there are some genetic diseases and ototoxins that can affect the SGNs or auditory nerve directly. Rinri Therapeutics is looking at true cochlear neuropathy though via stem cell implantation I believe and have shown 40-50% improvement in preclinicals.

• Informative Informative x 1
    30. Ben S
      Curious

Ben S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Now let's say that I have damage to the SGNs or Auditory nerve. (I suspect I may) Do any of the other upcoming treatments have the ability to regenerate these structures besides Rinri? For example, didn't I see in an animation of FX322, that the nerves regrow and extend to meet the newly grown hair cells?