Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’d just like to see one compelling study that declared funding through the ATA so that a “track record with success” could be substantiated for a condition that has not been cured and consistently displays various mechanisms by which it may act that have not been appropriately followed up on.

Example: Intratympanic Dexamethasone in the Treatment of Acute SSNHL and tinnitus.

-Hold a conference for PCP’s and GP’s to raise awareness about referring patients with these complaints to trial centers and stress the need for immediacy (<1 month since onset)

-Conduct extended pure-tone audiometry and speech-in-noise tests at baseline

-Record time of patient registration relative to onset

-Deliver the drug on whatever dosing schedule appears most prudent

-Have patient follow-up testing at 1-month, 3-months, 6-months and 12-months post-administration

The fact that there is very little useful scholarly data for the only available preventive intervention for chronic tinnitus is unacceptable. This would be my first move as ATA president. Then you can start looking into comparison vs. placebo (or just cross-examine no-treatment tinnitus progression research), comparison vs. oral prednisone/adjunct therapy, neural imaging, lidocaine MOA’s, sleep architecture & effect of REM, etc.

If we had appropriate distribution of grants, companies like Otonomy might not have to waste their time messing with gacyclidine and ChrisBoyMonkey would be better off. I’m not saying OTO-313 will flop, or that dexamethsone treatment is tried-and-true, but that’s why you FUND the hell out of it for appropriate scientific understanding. It’s cheap as hell, and it makes no sense as to why it’s not the first thing on PCP’s and ENT’s lips when a patient presents with SSNHL.

2. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Several members of this board in addition to the patients of Dr. Kopke respond well when tinnitus tones are in the ranges hearing aids address. The figures Kopke produced/estimated are in this thread, probably only a page or 2 back.

3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Oh if that's what the ATA does with funding, that's pretty useless. At least groups like the Hearing Health Foundation fund valuable new research. So is the ATA the Susan Komen of tinnitus?

I would argue that the problems with OTO-313 have nothing at all to do with funding, though. My guess is they don't yet know what subtypes and what time frames the drug will help. Maybe basic science around subtyping would have helped with that which was kind of the point of the link Frequency posted. Otonomy had enough money to spend on pre-clinical work and IND enabling studies. They also had results of AM-101, so I am really not thinking funding was the problem in that case.

4. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That is the exact analogy that comes into my head when comparing them to a known quantity. Susan G. Komen may be a private non-profit and not centrally funded though, I’m not sure.

This is why people hate bureaucracy—it’s bloated and operates behind smoke and mirrors when they should be BY the people FOR the people, since our taxes pay for their existence.

I was just demonstrating HOW EASY it would be when you have a name-brand organization that holds an annual conference with presumably high participation of practitioners. It would be incredibly easy to disseminate information about trials and compliance would be high because people obviously want to take whatever they can, as soon as they can to silence the banshee that’s developed in their ears. I have never seen a study I’ve liked declare funding by the ATA, and you have to declare it if it was through grant funding.

5. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
    6. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      He gave them a shoutout for his first grant. It wasn’t the $2m grant, that was supplied by the DoD. I’m sure the first grant was for far less (speculation), and would like to mention that $2 million really isn’t all that much money. It certainly won’t bring a drug through trials, as we’ve seen here.

7. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Everyone should keep in mind that the ATA is a relatively small organization that struggles to raise money. In the most recent year they have provided financial results (their fiscal year ending June 30, 2017), they raised a grand total of $827,727.

Of this amount raised, only $130,258 went to grants. Better than nothing I suppose, but a drop in the bucket. $2 million is not much, and $130,258 is a whole lot less. :(

The full tax return with this information and more is available on the ATA website.

Link to all ATA financial reports:

https://www.ata.org/about-us/annual-reports

Direct link to the most recent tax return for their fiscal year ending June 30, 2017:

https://www.ata.org/sites/default/files/ATA 2016 990.pdf

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    8. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      http://otologicpharma.com/wp-conten..._Effects_of_Delayed_and_Extended_FRR_2011.pdf

Fascinating article examining ANOTHER nitrone compound’s (4-OHPBN, not NHPN-1010) effects on acoustic trauma in adjunct therapy (antioxidants NAC + ALCAR).

Another interesting passage about distribution of damage relative to the apex: “Large losses (about 70%) induced by noise were observed at 55–90% distance from the apex, indicating high frequency regions (2–10 kHz). The functional and morphological con- sequences of noise trauma were significantly attenu- ated by a combination of 4-OHPBN plus NAC plus ALCAR.”

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Dr. Kopke (from Hough) is an author on that paper, too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Nice catch! He produces absolutely fascinating research. I cannot express enough how thankful I am for people like @Justin De Moss and Dr. Kopke. True innovators and problem-solvers with altruistic motivation. We need more of them in this cold, Luddite-run world.

I think it’s interesting they threw ALCAR into the mix considering my prior speculation regarding its potential utility in the hearing regeneration space. I still wouldn’t want to rock the boat and dose it concurrently with NHPN-1010 when that fateful day comes, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Every bit helps, although more would be better. In comparison, the BTA is now giving out a grant worth up to £125,000 (= around $161,600 currently).

• Like Like x 2
    12. KyleM
      Sleepy

KyleM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Undetermined/Hearing Loss
      @Justin De Moss I'll take one magic pill please sir. To go. ;)

I look forward to hopefully seeing more and more news from this topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. thinlay
      Alienated

thinlay Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syndrome of costen ? not sure
      Hello, ultimately this drug is not for chronic tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I don't believe it was said it's not for chronic tinnitus.

16. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      He estimates its availability around 2025.

Chop chop.

Get it out there faster. :android:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      In the video he says it's primarily designed for the immediate aftermath of noise trauma, but might also be useful for restoration down the road to some extent. So... possibly?

18. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Lol is this an ironic username this was posted from? No way Jastreboff wants to draw attention towards ANY curative research.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If you follow the link: "Pawel Jastreboff" joined 10 hours ago.

::slow clap:: excellent trolling dude/dudette if you are reading this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      By my estimation there’s like a 75% chance it’s @Contrast.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Joly

Joly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatisme sonore
      Excuse me, I don't speak English very well, I'm French. So isn't the Hough pill just for acute tinnitus?

I contacted them to find out where they will be doing their clinical trials and whether there will be any in the EU.

Have you got any news ? If yes, do you know if they will have clinical trials in the EU?

22. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Their upcoming trial will not be for tinnitus. It appears you have to be receiving a cochlear implant to be eligible for the trial, so you might not be eligible regardless of location if you do not have that kind of hearing loss.

Hough are hoping that, once the pill is on the market for use in the cochlear implant population, it can be used "off label" (this is a term for US drugs used for a reason it was not in clinical trials for) for tinnitus. It has not been tested for chronic tinnitus but they believe it will work for acute is chronic. They are trying to raise money for a "proof of concept study" for chronic tinnitus but i believe this will be on rodents (correct me if I have anything wrong, please @Justin De Moss).

23. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I asked Hough about clinical trials in Europe and the answer was negative. They will only test it in USA.

• Like Like x 1
    24. rsmcfar

rsmcfar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/28/2014
      • Like Like x 2
    25. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      • Agree Agree x 2
    26. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      These timeframes are ridiculous.

It has been 6 years since phase 1 and when is the phase 2 going to begin?

I’m a cochlear candidate, well let’s go already and let’s see if it works.

6 years between trials would take a total of, what, 24 years? If I was a drug addict I could go to a rough part of town and get homemade Meth made by the local pharmacist, but I can’t pay anybody for a possible hearing drug.

I don’t want to hear any excuse for it, it’s a broken system, the demand for the drug and profits are clear as day.

I may go to Oblato’s front door and ask them what’s going on. I have other trials I can be in.

Patients or those who are willing to succumb to trials' demands of poking, prodding, and drugs need to know these timelines to make decisions.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I wholeheartedly agree with you, the timelines are absolutely maddening. At the rate they're going someone will invent a time machine before we get these treatments.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      If you have TTTS induced by anxiety, like if your brain is somehow messed up and anticipates loud noises to be painful so your ear protection mechanisms are all messed up in anticipation of loud noises, can it be assumed that getting a handle of anxiety can help with those burning pains? (Ear affecting the nerves).

I’ve read TTTS is mainly anxiety induced. What else can cause the burning sensations often experienced by hyperacusis sufferers?

29. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      TTTS is influenced by anxiety, but it is the result of physiological damage to the ear. Otherwise everyone with phonophobia would have TTTS. The muscle, even in healthy people, does respond to anticipated loud noises. Anxiety plays a role but is not at all the whole story.

The ability of the ear to feel pain was only proven 5 years ago so there is an abysmal lack of understanding on why the pain is felt or how to stop it. I can’t make any assumptions in this area.

All that being said, getting a handle on your anxiety will only serve to improve your quality of life so go for it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Sorry to go back quite a few pages, but if I gobbled down a handful of Astaxanthin would it have any therapeutic benefit to my synapses? :)