Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. thinlay
      Chicken

thinlay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syndrome of costen ? not sure
      Hello, ultimately this drug is not for chronic tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I don't believe it was said it's not for chronic tinnitus.

3. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something Wicked This Way Comes
      He estimates its availability around 2025.

Chop chop.

Get it out there faster. :android:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something Wicked This Way Comes
      In the video he says it's primarily designed for the immediate aftermath of noise trauma, but might also be useful for restoration down the road to some extent. So... possibly?

5. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Lol is this an ironic username this was posted from? No way Jastreboff wants to draw attention towards ANY curative research.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If you follow the link: "Pawel Jastreboff" joined 10 hours ago.

::slow clap:: excellent trolling dude/dudette if you are reading this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      By my estimation there’s like a 75% chance it’s @Contrast.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Joly

Joly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatisme sonore
      Excuse me, I don't speak English very well, I'm French. So isn't the Hough pill just for acute tinnitus?

I contacted them to find out where they will be doing their clinical trials and whether there will be any in the EU.

Have you got any news ? If yes, do you know if they will have clinical trials in the EU?

9. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Their upcoming trial will not be for tinnitus. It appears you have to be receiving a cochlear implant to be eligible for the trial, so you might not be eligible regardless of location if you do not have that kind of hearing loss.

Hough are hoping that, once the pill is on the market for use in the cochlear implant population, it can be used "off label" (this is a term for US drugs used for a reason it was not in clinical trials for) for tinnitus. It has not been tested for chronic tinnitus but they believe it will work for acute is chronic. They are trying to raise money for a "proof of concept study" for chronic tinnitus but i believe this will be on rodents (correct me if I have anything wrong, please @Justin De Moss).

10. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I asked Hough about clinical trials in Europe and the answer was negative. They will only test it in USA.

• Like Like x 1
    11. rsmcfar

rsmcfar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/28/2014
      • Like Like x 3
    12. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild 2000-2018 sev 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      • Agree Agree x 2
    13. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      These timeframes are ridiculous.

It has been 6 years since phase 1 and when is the phase 2 going to begin?

I’m a cochlear candidate, well let’s go already and let’s see if it works.

6 years between trials would take a total of, what, 24 years? If I was a drug addict I could go to a rough part of town and get homemade Meth made by the local pharmacist, but I can’t pay anybody for a possible hearing drug.

I don’t want to hear any excuse for it, it’s a broken system, the demand for the drug and profits are clear as day.

I may go to Oblato’s front door and ask them what’s going on. I have other trials I can be in.

Patients or those who are willing to succumb to trials' demands of poking, prodding, and drugs need to know these timelines to make decisions.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Tweedleman

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I wholeheartedly agree with you, the timelines are absolutely maddening. At the rate they're going someone will invent a time machine before we get these treatments.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Orions Pain
      Surrender

Orions Pain Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      If you have TTTS induced by anxiety, like if your brain is somehow messed up and anticipates loud noises to be painful so your ear protection mechanisms are all messed up in anticipation of loud noises, can it be assumed that getting a handle of anxiety can help with those burning pains? (Ear affecting the nerves).

I’ve read TTTS is mainly anxiety induced. What else can cause the burning sensations often experienced by hyperacusis sufferers?

16. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Acoustic Trauma
      TTTS is influenced by anxiety, but it is the result of physiological damage to the ear. Otherwise everyone with phonophobia would have TTTS. The muscle, even in healthy people, does respond to anticipated loud noises. Anxiety plays a role but is not at all the whole story.

The ability of the ear to feel pain was only proven 5 years ago so there is an abysmal lack of understanding on why the pain is felt or how to stop it. I can’t make any assumptions in this area.

All that being said, getting a handle on your anxiety will only serve to improve your quality of life so go for it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Tweedleman

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Sorry to go back quite a few pages, but if I gobbled down a handful of Astaxanthin would it have any therapeutic benefit to my synapses? :)

18. FGG
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It has estrogen effects so I wouldn't take handfuls. I have no idea but not sure small amounts would hurt.

19. mrbrightside614

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      They just got funding. Did you listen to the podcast? Apply for phase 2 if you’re a CI candidate.

20. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Have they stated an actual date on when they will start Phase 2 trials?

21. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I’ve called Oblato, no call back. I see no date or number for trial to apply. I’m also awaiting call back for my 2nd attempt with Frequency Theraputics but the trial site is extremely slow.

This is my point, the Coronavirus shows up and within weeks their begging for trial candidates and 9 companies are working as fast as possible.

I get it, it’s a global virus but it just shows how quick things can actually move when they need to. It’s frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 7
    22. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I called this week too, no reply. I’ll get a hold of them eventually, or at least be told we’re working on things as quick as we can. I figure them knowing people are interested in trialing isn’t a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never trust a doctor
      Why don't you contact Hough and try to arrange things through them?

24. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Maybe I will. I was going by the Tinnitus Talk Podcast that stated Oblato was running it and since they are in NJ I can reach them. I’ll call both.

• Like Like x 2
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      never trust a doctor
      @Justin De Moss

How will the current situation (coronavirus) affect your phase 2 trials?

26. KyleM
      Sleepy

KyleM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Undetermined/Hearing Loss
      Hello Piney,

What trials have you found in the NJ/NY area? Who is Oblato? They are running trials for Hough Ear Institute?

27. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      FX-322 trial is in upstate NY, and south of Jersey in Richmond, VA.

Oblato is in Princeton, but the guy never calls back. I really would knock on his door if the coronavirus didn’t shut everything down. I called Hough Ear Institute and they take your name down if you want any trial info and/or interest to be in the trial, no date set yet.

28. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music consumption plus acoustic trauma.
      I've received this e-mail today:

I am reaching out to you on behalf of the entire Hough Ear Institute family to express our concern and gratitude for you during this challenging time.

As you are well aware, COVID-19 is rapidly changing what day to day life looks like for us all. I understand how trying this time can be. Our hope is that all of you are doing what you can to protect yourself, your family, friends, and community. HEI considers you a part of our extended family. Your health and well-being matter to us.

HEI is a research facility that shares a building with two other medical facilities. These organizations are currently still treating those who need it. Because of this shared space, I take our responsibility to help slow the spread of COVID-19 very seriously. Like many other businesses and organizations, we have taken important steps to safeguard our employees and our supporters– These include modified work arrangements, educating our workforce on safety practices, and connecting virtually instead of traveling and meeting face-to-face. We also have postponed fundraising events that put people in close proximity to one another. Each of these decisions will inevitably impact our fundraising, our lifeblood, but we feel these decisions are necessary based on the circumstances to keep everyone safe and healthy.

During this hard time, you and our staff are my number one priority. We are still working tirelessly to find life-changing treatments. To keep this research moving, your support is more crucial than ever. The world around us may slow down, but we know that doesn’t mean your suffering stops.

The research toward tinnitus cures and hearing loss health and prevention is still happening. It is easy during times of crisis and uncertainty to pull back on our charitable giving. As we continue providing hope to thousands of patients and families affected by our work, I ask that you consider not pulling back from your regular giving. I humbly ask that you consider giving more– so this research can continue to move forward.

These times may be challenging, but there is still hope. Now, more than ever, we need your help in providing that hope. Your prayers, your encouragement, and your donations are crucial to continuing the advancement of our research.

More information about our mission and links to give online are available at https://houghear.org/supportbreakthroughresearch

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do. Thank you on behalf of those suffering from acquired hearing loss and/or tinnitus. Thank you for all you are doing to support your communities as we face this unprecedented moment in our lives.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      On The Tinnitus Talk Podcast Hough Ear Institute were open about how much funding they needed to push for their research purposes. Is there anyway to track how much more is needed from donations? Or is that impossible unless they input that information on their website?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    30. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Acoustic Trauma
      They don’t only get their money from individuals, they also pursue grants. I believe they were getting a large grant (matched by Oblato) to start their research. Mentioned a few pages back:
      @Justin De Moss if you’re around can you confirm if that funding went through?

• Agree Agree x 1