Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It has estrogen effects so I wouldn't take handfuls. I have no idea but not sure small amounts would hurt.

2. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      They just got funding. Did you listen to the podcast? Apply for phase 2 if you’re a CI candidate.

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Have they stated an actual date on when they will start Phase 2 trials?

4. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I’ve called Oblato, no call back. I see no date or number for trial to apply. I’m also awaiting call back for my 2nd attempt with Frequency Theraputics but the trial site is extremely slow.

This is my point, the Coronavirus shows up and within weeks their begging for trial candidates and 9 companies are working as fast as possible.

I get it, it’s a global virus but it just shows how quick things can actually move when they need to. It’s frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 6
    5. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      I called this week too, no reply. I’ll get a hold of them eventually, or at least be told we’re working on things as quick as we can. I figure them knowing people are interested in trialing isn’t a bad thing.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Why don't you contact Hough and try to arrange things through them?

7. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Maybe I will. I was going by the Tinnitus Talk Podcast that stated Oblato was running it and since they are in NJ I can reach them. I’ll call both.

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      @Justin De Moss

How will the current situation (coronavirus) affect your phase 2 trials?

9. KyleM
      Sleepy

KyleM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Undetermined/Hearing Loss
      Hello Piney,

What trials have you found in the NJ/NY area? Who is Oblato? They are running trials for Hough Ear Institute?

10. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      FX-322 trial is in upstate NY, and south of Jersey in Richmond, VA.

Oblato is in Princeton, but the guy never calls back. I really would knock on his door if the coronavirus didn’t shut everything down. I called Hough Ear Institute and they take your name down if you want any trial info and/or interest to be in the trial, no date set yet.

11. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've received this e-mail today:

I am reaching out to you on behalf of the entire Hough Ear Institute family to express our concern and gratitude for you during this challenging time.

As you are well aware, COVID-19 is rapidly changing what day to day life looks like for us all. I understand how trying this time can be. Our hope is that all of you are doing what you can to protect yourself, your family, friends, and community. HEI considers you a part of our extended family. Your health and well-being matter to us.

HEI is a research facility that shares a building with two other medical facilities. These organizations are currently still treating those who need it. Because of this shared space, I take our responsibility to help slow the spread of COVID-19 very seriously. Like many other businesses and organizations, we have taken important steps to safeguard our employees and our supporters– These include modified work arrangements, educating our workforce on safety practices, and connecting virtually instead of traveling and meeting face-to-face. We also have postponed fundraising events that put people in close proximity to one another. Each of these decisions will inevitably impact our fundraising, our lifeblood, but we feel these decisions are necessary based on the circumstances to keep everyone safe and healthy.

During this hard time, you and our staff are my number one priority. We are still working tirelessly to find life-changing treatments. To keep this research moving, your support is more crucial than ever. The world around us may slow down, but we know that doesn’t mean your suffering stops.

The research toward tinnitus cures and hearing loss health and prevention is still happening. It is easy during times of crisis and uncertainty to pull back on our charitable giving. As we continue providing hope to thousands of patients and families affected by our work, I ask that you consider not pulling back from your regular giving. I humbly ask that you consider giving more– so this research can continue to move forward.

These times may be challenging, but there is still hope. Now, more than ever, we need your help in providing that hope. Your prayers, your encouragement, and your donations are crucial to continuing the advancement of our research.

More information about our mission and links to give online are available at https://houghear.org/supportbreakthroughresearch

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do. Thank you on behalf of those suffering from acquired hearing loss and/or tinnitus. Thank you for all you are doing to support your communities as we face this unprecedented moment in our lives.

• Like Like x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      On The Tinnitus Talk Podcast Hough Ear Institute were open about how much funding they needed to push for their research purposes. Is there anyway to track how much more is needed from donations? Or is that impossible unless they input that information on their website?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    13. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      They don’t only get their money from individuals, they also pursue grants. I believe they were getting a large grant (matched by Oblato) to start their research. Mentioned a few pages back:
      @Justin De Moss if you’re around can you confirm if that funding went through?

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @Tweedleman Nah take handfuls. Just bench a ton to prevent man-boobs.

15. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      Sounds like you you might have hidden hearing loss. It could be either. As I understand it the primary cause is believed to be in the nerve ending, however, it can be aggravated by damaged hair cells.

16. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That sure helps! That's why we are piloting a proof-of-concept study to show pharma companies that there is a model that can objectively test tinnitus. It is one of the major hurdles in getting drugs approved for the indication of tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are most welcome. We are in this together, at various degrees. I really enjoy your company.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mid 2020's not mid 2020, as in 2025/2026 if everything goes as planned.

19. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! I know plenty of researchers that care about this issue, both here at HEI and elsewhere in the US. I think the main issue you will find is money and influence. The ATA is good but they are limited.

Think about it. Breast cancer kills people. As a result, people who are affected and their loved ones too - all get behind supporting research. The push behind it is so strong that there is essentially a lobby behind it.

The challenge we face is coming together and becoming a financial force. I'm speaking now as a tinnitus sufferer, and someone with mild hearing loss, not as an HEI employee. I used to give to about 5-6 charities with various missions. Now, I only give to faith-based organizations like my church and to hearing loss/tinnitus research. Last year, was the first year we gave more to health research than faith-based organizations.

Until those who suffer can come together financially to help become a "big kid on the block" - it is going to be very scrappy to get the research done. Good thing is that I am very scrappy:)

• Like Like x 1
    20. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great points. I'm very excited about our research but others as well. That increases the odds that a solution will make it past the goal line.

• Like Like x 2
    21. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand your frustration and thoughts here, but one thing to keep in mind is that the government generally only funds initial and early clinical research. The government can help advance more research that was and allow labs to focus on the most promising research results and attract private investment for commercialization. The government take s a broad approach, had they not and applied a standard to what is funded I doubt any hearing loss or tinnitus research would make the cut.

22. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is why we need to show proof to pharma companies that tinnitus can be objectively measured. This will open the flood gates of research into tinnitus treatments specifically!

23. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the shout out. Rick is one of the best bosses I've worked for and it is his personal mission that all who have ears, will hear! (If they want to:) )

24. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you! We would love to have many more people like those at Hough! It's a great team on a mission collectively to help people!

25. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'd love to give you one! Hopefully in a few years :) !

26. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It may be helpful for chronic tinnitus too. It appears to be so in animal models - now we just need to come up with a means of objectively measuring tinnitus in humans so we can move forward with a Phase II for the indication if tinnitus, both acute and chronic!

• Like Like x 1
    27. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We would love to have tinnitus, ototoxicity, and a few other indications tested as well! The proof of concept study will be on animals first, but if it shows promise it can then be used in Phase II clinical study for tinnitus!

• Like Like x 2
    28. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We are seeking approval from the FDA first. Once that is given, then we can work in other markets for approval. I wish this wasn't the case though.

29. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It doesn't quite work the way you think - thank God! The plan is to have Phase II start this year. That will take 1-2 years. Phase III will start after that. Since Oblato has agreed to take the pill through the remaining (Phase II and III) clinical trials - there shouldn't be the same kind of delay as between Phase I and II - which was based on funding. In other words, the remaining clinical trials have been funded.

The caveat to that is that Oblato is going to seek the indication(s) that are the most promising to get to the market. So Cochlear Implant Trauma is one of those, ototoxicity is another one. Tinnitus might be if we can get this proof of concept study going. They are interested in it for sure!

• Like Like x 1
    30. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand the frustration but we are talking about the difference between a life-threatening infectious virus that has swept the entire globe versus tinnitus. I don't try to discredit our sufferings, but it is understandable that these things would get fast-tracked. Plus, as I understand it, researching virus, treatments, and vaccines is a lot simpler than most other pharmacological research, especially our at HEI.

I agree it is frustrating. With all the lockdowns, people are getting a glimpse into our lives that we live and have lived for years. Hopefully, this will create some empathy and maybe some changes in the way we get drugs approved!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1