How Do I Avoid Going Homeless and Starving to Death?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sen, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I can't work outside of my home because of hyperacusis and chronic pain. I can't work inside my home because of severe repetitive strain injury in my hands and forearms (can only move my mouse with my left hand for a few minutes at a time, and can't spend more than a few minutes typing).

Eventually the resources I depend on now will diminish and disappear. I am already collecting disability, but they do not give you enough to survive. How do I avoid going homeless and starving to death? What do I do? I am severely depressed about this, I'm panicking and can't sleep.

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Can you get carers allowance,heating allowance,mobility allowance etc
      Keep pushing for support .
      Good luck Sen.
      Love glynis

3. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Sorry to hear about your problems. I guess the support you can get from the state will very much depend on which country you live in?

In the UK, for example disability living allowance is very restricted, but charities support with foodbanks those who are short of food - not an ideal situation I know.

4. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Sen:

I am so sorry to hear about your appalling circumstances. I don`t know what to say or suggest. Although my material circumstances are OK for now, I too could easily fall into deep poverty. And I have found out , bitterly, that no one around me would give a damm. That is the kind of world we live in. Most people beleive that handicapped people, old people, unemployed people etc...are a drag on the average "productive" worker, thus the low level of resources to us, despite the professed hypocritical public attitudes of compassion to the handicapped. Very Hitlerian, I must say .

So I would not be surprised if I ended my life living alone in a small room, eating dog food, and dying alone. I think about it a lot.

Nobody cares.

Marco

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi Sen,

I’ve had rsi and know what a pain (quite literally it can be).

I take it you work in the IT field ? I do and I used to have issues like you fairly recently. I would suggest looking into some sort of Osteopathic support for your hand.

I had golfers elbow a lot and I would use support to help me with a elbow sleeve. You could try find similar for your hand. You have to wear it quite a lot but it does help take some of the pain away.

Plan B (if you can afford it and can get yourself to one) is have an osteopath see you. They have these machines that send sound waves through your body which helps the helping process too. Could solve your rsi problems

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I don't work in IT. If I were to guess I'd say my RSI stems from lots of video games, being a drummer and guitar player, computer use, and compulsive fidgeting with my hands. I never did stretches or took proper breaks.

I've been dealing with the issue since 2011 and have tried dozens upon dozens of things to varying degrees of success, but the overall trend is that it continues to get worse. I can't afford to see an osteopath or any type of physiotherapist because I am dirt poor.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Where are you from? It's hard to believe disability doesn't cover your most basic living needs :( I second glynis, food bank, heating allowance etc. No one should have to fear becoming homeless when struggling with true disabilities.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Plenty of people with disabilities are homeless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm sure you have enough to cover the rental of a room. Then food bank and soup kitchens. In the meanwhile, H can improve and chronic pain can be treated and maybe you can figure out a new line of work. Again I don't know where you live, but where I live, a single person on disability receives enough not be homeless.

Last thing, being severely depressed, not sleeping, I'd suggest seeking out mental health, they have plenty of resources for someone in your predicament. Not all is lost, your outlook needs to be more hopeful and you need to be strong.

take care.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What about your family/parents?

How much are you spending on food? Rice is relatively cheap.

If you are not working, you can live anywhere. Surely there must be places in your country where rent is cheaper than what you are paying now.

11. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Do you still have problems talking? I cannot use the computer without being in severe pain. I do use my foot to move my mouse but I have been in more pain the last week, making it harder. But I use an assistive program called Dragon to speak into my microphone. I am using it right now to type up this post and I can use it to move my mouse around.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm impressed you are able to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Me too sometimes. I wonder if I would have less pain (and mayber lower T?) if I got a new job.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Wow, I’m also impressed with your workaround on the computer Red. That is amazing stuff ! What do you do for work?

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. JamesNOLA

JamesNOLA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played in a rock band
      First: see if you can find a local physical or occupational therapist that will see you regularly and is covered by your insurance. Lots of repetitive motion problems can be addressed with astonishing simplicity, and probably cheaper than it would be to go to a doctor and have the full workup done.

Second: Google for any repetitive-motion tech solutions that would help you. I'm sure you've done this. But be aggressive, and email some professionals for their best tips. Often this is done on a charity basis.

Third: do not be afraid to say "yes" to help for temporary shortfalls. If friends and family can help you, it's hurtful to our pride to take charity, but it's why social creatures survive better than isolated cowboys.

Believe me: I've been where you are, and I know how anxious and desperate and nauseous it makes you. Work the problem(s) one at a time, one step at a time.

• Like Like x 1