How Do I Get Out of This Mindset?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I have a terrible mindset right now. I keep going back and forth on my thinking that everything is going to be ok...and then I wake up some days terrified of making my tinnitus worse. Some days I feel like it will fade because it gets so low...and others I feel like I have screwed myself and I'm stuck for life.

Basically I am gripped In fear most of the week. Just as I try and get out and back to extra work and make extra money...I was painting and as in a quiet room and my brother slammed a big wood door. Scared me to death and instantly I was in a panic that spiraled out of control for two days. There wasn't a spike but I made it worse by worrying.

I have two wonderful kids and wife and I feel like I'm putting them through hell. I think I need counseling, I don't know...it only happened 6 months ago but I can't get off this path.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Tinnitus and anxiety go hand in hand. If you can break the pattern of anxiety it’s likely you’ll start to feel better. The secret is open up and get all the emotional torment out of your system, and then start to rebuild. It takes time, but there is no timetable for it.
      Everyone is different - and we all start with different severities - but I believe we can all get to a place where we feel content. Take your time buddy.

Fearing all kinds of sounds is a totally normal reaction, but you will have to start to normalise yourself back into the world by not reacting to every knock and bump. This just sends your limbic system into overdrive. It’s really difficult but it gets a lot easier over time. Just make sure you protect yourself around dangerous levels of noise.