How Do I Live Like This? — The Tinnitus Is Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marie Meredith, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Marie Meredith

Marie Meredith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My tinnitus started about 4 years ago. I have been diagnosed with pseudo tumor cerebri, which means I have too much cerebral fluid inside my skull. It is treated with medication. I also have fibromyalgia.

Tinnitus is a symptom of both of these conditions, and also a possible side effect of the medication. Therefore, I don't know what is really causing the tinnitus.

I have hearing loss, and sometimes wear hearing aids. They don't seem to help. I have a ambient sound generator that helps me sleep. I don't know what else to do.

The tinnitus is getting worse and really interfering with my life. It gets so bad that I just want to sleep all of the time so I don't hear the noise. I can't concentrate, my attention span is that of a gnat, I am forgetful. I don't know what to do.

My husband wants me to go to the Mayo clinic, but it seems to me that there really isn't a cure, so why waste the money. Should I go?

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? If I didn't have a family to care for, I would consider suicide.

• Hug Hug x 7
    2. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad for the moment, are the medications you are on ototoxic?

3. Dr. Ancill

Dr. Ancill Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I also have tinnitus which, at times, is severe. I have never said that we need 'psychological help" and I would challenge you to find any post in the 200+ I have written in which I state that.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Why do you say your tinnitus is unknown when you have known hearing loss and you have hearing aids?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie Meredith

Marie Meredith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you. I don't know if they are ototoxic. It is listed as a side effect of the acetazolamide, and I also take cymbalta.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie Meredith

Marie Meredith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Oh, I know I have tinnitus, that was diagnosed. I said the cause of it is unknown. I have health issues which may have caused it, but I never had head trauma or prolonged exposure to loud noise.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie Meredith

Marie Meredith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Has anyone tried anything that actually reduced the noise?

8. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      There are no universal treatments for tinnitus but some people have had success with the following:
      • use a mouthguard if you grind your teeth at night
      • see a physical/massage therapist if you have issues with your neck, jaw or cervical spine
      • be aware of your posture
      • listen to white noise or natural sounds during the day and at night so that your brain can focus on something else
      • there are also people who've said that CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) has helped them to cope better
      Supplements you could try
      • Magnesium or Magnesium Citrate
      • N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)
      • Nicotinamide Riboside
      • Vitamin D, Vitamin B12
      • CBD oil

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Only things that work for me to reduce the volume are getting decent quality sleep, hot showers, staying away from loud places, reducing stress levels, not aggravating my neck. But my triggers are almost certainly not the same as yours. Also at different times, aprazolam and clonazepam seem to reduced the volume, or perception of the volume, for a short period, but I only took them for a very brief period.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie Meredith

Marie Meredith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for your reply, I will try some of your ideas.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie Meredith

Marie Meredith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks, I appreciate your help.

12. Sudbury

Sudbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Try ear plugs, seriously. It makes the noise louder, but it sounds external, so it’s easy to ignore. That’s my experience anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    13. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Currently, there is no cure. You are correct. "Do not go " is a good choice.
      Many people in TT are in similar situation like you. I am sure that they will provide good suggestions. :)

14. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Have you looked into hearing aids with maskers? They might be helpful.

15. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I'm saying hearing loss causes tinnitus based on this research.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/

16. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      When I put earplugs in I hear my tinnitus at full volume. It makes me want to end my life. I don't know how you can do it.

17. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      Back when my tinnitus was acceptable (meaning I could hear it all day, even in the streets, but I could cope OK), I would notice too that putting earplugs would actually first increase the perception of my tinnitus, but after half an hour, I would pay less attention to it.

I think it's a trick of the mind. When you suffer from tinnitus, what bothers you is that you're hearing stressful signals that you know are not external and that you shouldn't be hearing. So basically, you're focusing on the internal sound rather than the other multiple external sounds. Let's put it another way: if we knew that everyone on earth, every second, can hear various sounds in their head, then we would think: "Ok, this is the norm", and tinnitus would be part of our "normal" existence, thus stress-free.

When you're putting earplugs, there's no "other sound." The tinnitus becomes THE "other sound", so I guess your brain is like: "Well, wth, if that's the only thing I can hear, let's just not hear it, it's pointless, it's the norm."

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah I think I understand what you mean.

19. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am not sure he does. Humans don't hear noises in their heads or ears constantly. So, when tinnitus happens and doesn't go away, it's distressing and debilitating to some people myself included.

People are hopeful for a cure because they can't get used to it or it is troublesome even if they are.

Also, many of us want to use hearing protection to protect our hearing (or what is left) and hopefully avoid getting worse. But, that makes it louder or makes us perceive it louder. What a raw deal! Even when you try to do something good, you are punished for it!

Anyway, some people think ginko biloba is good, too, besides the supplements and vitamins Autumnly suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I agree that earplugs help with habituation. My T went from severe, even intrusive, to mild in 6 mos or so. Putting the earplugs in creates some time for acoustic rest, and the brain dials down the sound of the T when I put them in to sleep.

21. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Oh yes, I feel you, when I have to put the earplugs in it's absolute torture but the fear of the tinnitus getting worse will always win.