How Do You Deal with the Pain of Tinnitus? I Get About 3 Hours of Sleep Every Night

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Smithy27, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Smithy27

Smithy27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/2/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus started 23 days ago. One morning I woke with the sound of high pitch it so loud and it's been the same every day when I wake. I'm getting about 3 hours sleep each night and dreading waking up to hear that. During the day I get a couple hours of relief from it. I just can't take this any more.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      For sleeping I take 500-1000mg of valerian root, melatonin, and amitriptyline if I need it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I did not get 3 hours of sleep until 9 months after acquiring tinnitus. Melatonin and valerian root are good natural choices for sleep.

• Creative Creative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smithy27

Smithy27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/2/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      See you in heaven guys cant take this much more

• Hug Hug x 5
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Chances are your tinnitus will fade and in 1-3 years you will have your life back. Wait for a year, if it doesn't improve and you don't see yourself being able to hold on for another year, then do what you have to do. But don't use a permanent solution for a (most likely) temporary problem.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try taking Amitriptyline. It is nonaddictive and it doesn't make you feel drowsy the next day.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Try to hold on. Tinnitus in the first months is awful, but you are really early in, there is even a chance that it will go away spontaneously. Your brain is in the fight or flight phase right now.

I'm almost 6 months in, the first 4 month I slept 1-3 hours with waking up every half an hour. Tried like everything herbs, melatonin, masking, benzos. Nothing was helping. I was losing my mind. Sleep deprivation and tinnitus is the cruelest form of torture. BUT! From the beginning/middle of February I started sleeping better. Out of the blue, just like how tinnitus started. It's still not ideal, still have anxiety attacks, still have problems, but sleeping more can do wonders. I get like 4 hours of undisturbed sleep, wake up and then a lot of nights I can go back to sleep for about 2 hours. Still have some horrible nights, today was one of them, but it did get better.

Do you take anything? Although they did not help me, but a lot if people get good results from taking herbs (valerian, lemongrass, St. John's Wort) and melatonin. You can try ADs and sleeping pills. I take Xanax as a last resort. Just be very careful not to get hooked on benzos.

• Like Like x 3
    9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have felt that way too (at times) since my original onset in 2013.

You wont believe it's possible yet, but your brain is capable of filtering out the noise/your perception of the noise.

It could still resolve. It's too early to give up.

There are possible treatments coming.

You need to address your sleep. I remember the broken sleep at the start, the panic attacks, and feelings of hopelessness.

I found a way to sleep by simply meditating on the noise so I'm not as anxious about it.

If you're too anxious to do this, try masking with some soothing sounds, wear yourself out with distractions and exercise through the day.

Have a look at the Back to Silence thread.

Please come back and let me know how you are.

We care about you.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      I felt the exact same when my tinnitus came up. Two hours sleep a night, continues torture: I thought it was a never-ending hell. Had someone given me a button to easily finish life, I'd have smashed it. Those were my thoughts at the time.

Roughly half a year later, my life is awesome again. Many sounds disappeared, the six remaining ones settled down to manageable level. Even with corona going around, I feel almost as good as before: and still improving.

Things can get completely different over a few months. In my case, I found ways to treat/reduce the sounds. For many others, their sound(s) completely fade. Not to mention the capability of habituating which is possible for a lot if us as well.

Give it time. I'm not trying to trivialize your sound or its severity, but much can happen with it. If you have nothing to lose, you can also sit it out for now to see how it develops, while distracting yourself with fun things. That's how I managed to cope at onset, while slowly figuring stuff out.

You can do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      What if I have been with tinnitus for 11 months, almost a year, and tinnitus only gets worse? I should die already.

• Hug Hug x 5
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am very sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Let's hope is that a cure will be found and will become available in the next 5 years. It is also the case that after about 3 years after the onset many people report habituation...

13. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The only things that keep me going are the results of the trials for FX-322 and the Hough Pill. I am just telling myself how amazing life will be if we can eventually get treatment.

• Like Like x 6
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Same - also re the current pandemic, part of me is weirdly relieved that now I have a reason to stay home and 'rest' my ears to give them the best chance of recovery, the other half is anxious about trials/research being pushed back etc (although I realise that sounds very selfish so feel kinda guilty saying this given the gravity of what's going on currently).

Still, we've got some things coming up to look forward to - the much-awaited interview with Frequency... it's things like these that keeping me going.

Can't say how I grateful I am to the team here for managing to set this up!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Same for me!! It is nice to be at home and resting. I am a bit stressed as I'm having visual issues and am not sure if it's worth it risking a doctors appointment/if I can even get in to see one.

Looking forward to the interview as well. Part of me isn't because I don't want to even think about how upset I will be if the results aren't promising but trying not to pay those type of thoughts any mind.

• Hug Hug x 2